Re: [nslu2-general] Problem with telnet & re-flashing

  • mwester@dls.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2006
      Yep, it's hosed! I'm not sure what you replaced, but note that at least *some* of the "passwd" files are not the password database, but are the passwd program executable instead. I'm betting that you replaced one of those...

      You'll have to reflash. This documented somewhere on the wiki, but the "upgrade firmware" page in the GUI on unslung does not function - it was never meant to be operational, and the pages should have been disabled to make it more obvious. The wiki documents the necessary step to put the unit into "upgrade" mode using the reset button (which is the proper way with Unslung), and then you can reload the firmware using the appropriate utility (sercomm or upslug2).

      But I'm concerned about the phrase "fell foul of the root password issue" -- what issue is that exactly? AFAIK, the root password issues were all addressed in the unslung procedure for unslung 6.8 -- you should have been prompted for the password by the unsling utility, which then sets the password appropriately in all the correct places, with no further user action regarding root password required. Can you be a bit more clear on the issue you've experienced?

      Thanks,
      Mike (mwester)