unslung 6.8beta and ext3

  • osattari1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2006
      Hello,

      I've got unslung 6.8 beta running on a 1gb usb memory
      stick in port2 on a de-underclocked nslu2 and I have
      this question:

      I've noticed that the light on my mem stick blinks
      even when I don't use the nslu2.
      I plugged a compact flash card in a cf-to-usb
      adapter into port1, same thing: the light on
      the adapter blinks. On the cf-to-usb adapter,
      the blink interval is easier to identify:
      exactly 5 seconds.
      I imagine this is because the "commit interval"
      of kjournald is 5 seconds.

      Won't this activity wear out the mem stick?

      I went through the process of manually creating
      and formatting the partitions on the 1 gb mem
      stick as ext2 and re-un-slinging, with the hope
      that journaling won't happen. It doesn't seem
      to matter. unslung 6.8beta still mounts them
      as ext3.

      Am I worried about something that doesn't really matter?

      By the way, I had trouble re-un-slinging.
      The easiest solution for me was to re-flash
      the nslu2 with 6.8beta using the sercomm utility:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash

      then, following the directions:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseAMemoryStickAsMainDrive

      thanks,