NTFS Mount Problems

  • techwizard
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi

      Can someone help me with how I mount and use NTFS disks on the Slug.
      I have a hub plugged into Port 1, running Unslung R63. I can manually
      mount 3 disks (sdb1, sdc1, sdd1), but when I try to mount the fourth I
      have a problem.
      Also - the documentation seems to say that these will mount and be
      available as Windows shares as HD_1_1_1, HD_1_2_1 and HD_1_3_1
      (excluding the fourth disk which I cannot get working). When I look
      in the Network Neighbourhood of my XP machine, I can see the shares
      but cannot access them.
      Any ideas ??
      I should add - when I manually mount the disks I can see and access
      them in Linux but not from Windows which is a bit of a pain ....

      Thanks
      \John
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
        On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 21:01 +0000, techwizard wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > Can someone help me with how I mount and use NTFS disks on the Slug.

        Do you have a native unslung disk?

        There are some problems with ntfs disks. Don't be supprised
        if your slung hangs when you use ntfs disks.

        > I have a hub plugged into Port 1, running Unslung R63. I can manually
        > mount 3 disks (sdb1, sdc1, sdd1), but when I try to mount the fourth I
        > have a problem.

        Aren't they mounted automatically?

        > Also - the documentation seems to say that these will mount and be
        > available as Windows shares as HD_1_1_1, HD_1_2_1 and HD_1_3_1
        > (excluding the fourth disk which I cannot get working). When I look
        > in the Network Neighbourhood of my XP machine, I can see the shares
        > but cannot access them.
        > Any ideas ??

        Probably the same problem why they aren't mounted in the first
        place.

        > I should add - when I manually mount the disks I can see and access
        > them in Linux but not from Windows which is a bit of a pain ....

        Could you give some more info what you already did and what the
        current state of the slug is.

        Probably the output of the following commands could be useful:
        dmesg
        lsusb
        mount
        ps

        --
        Marceln
      • techwizard
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
          Hi

          Ok - so I have a natively formatted 300GB ext3 drive on port 2 which
          is unslung R63).
          The NTFS drives are on a 4 port hub plugged into Port 1 - I have not
          got the fourth drive to work. They do NOT mount automatically as
          far as I can see, so I have a script running to mount them at boot
          up to 4 directories (/mnt/ntfs[1-4].
          When I look in My Network Places in windows, I can see HDD_1_1_1 to
          HDD_1_4_1 but when I click on them, it says '... The Network Path
          not found'.
          I don;t have any problems with hang ups - the drives work fine and I
          constatnyl access data fromt hem as I am running the whole system to
          drive my Pinnacle Showcenter. The only way I can move files around
          is to copy to the ext3 drive on port 2, and then ssh into the box
          and move files around in Linux. This is workable but a real pain.
          Any help would be appreciated ....

          Regards
          \John

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...>
          wrote:

          > On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 21:01 +0000, techwizard wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > Can someone help me with how I mount and use NTFS disks on the
          Slug.

          > Do you have a native unslung disk?
          >
          > There are some problems with ntfs disks. Don't be supprised
          > if your slung hangs when you use ntfs disks.
          >
          > > I have a hub plugged into Port 1, running Unslung R63. I can
          manually
          > > mount 3 disks (sdb1, sdc1, sdd1), but when I try to mount the
          fourth I
          > > have a problem.
          >
          > Aren't they mounted automatically?
          >
          > > Also - the documentation seems to say that these will mount and
          be
          > > available as Windows shares as HD_1_1_1, HD_1_2_1 and HD_1_3_1
          > > (excluding the fourth disk which I cannot get working). When I
          look
          > > in the Network Neighbourhood of my XP machine, I can see the
          shares
          > > but cannot access them.
          > > Any ideas ??
          >
          > Probably the same problem why they aren't mounted in the first
          > place.
          >
          > > I should add - when I manually mount the disks I can see and
          access
          > > them in Linux but not from Windows which is a bit of a pain ....
          >
          > Could you give some more info what you already did and what the
          > current state of the slug is.
          >
          > Probably the output of the following commands could be useful:
          > dmesg
          > lsusb
          > mount
          > ps
          >
          > --
          > Marceln

        • zvsmedia
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            > There are some problems with ntfs disks. Don't be supprised
            > if your slung hangs when you use ntfs disks.

            This is absolutley true, and a known probelm that needs fixing, but
            depending on your specific needs it may not be that big of a deal. I
            have an NTFS disk on mine and I think it's hung once. Since that disk
            is used exclusively for backup it was not a big deal. If it were
            handing frequently I'd probably reformat it, but as it is I can live
            with the occasional restart. On the other hand, if it were empty I'd
            definitely take the time to format it - why risk it?

            (BTW I don't have enough USB disks to replicate your problem or I'd
            help troubleshoot it.)

            Jim
          • nslu2@pion.xs4all.nl
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
              On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 10:01:37PM -0000, techwizard wrote:
              > The NTFS drives are on a 4 port hub plugged into Port 1 - I have not
              > got the fourth drive to work. They do NOT mount automatically as
              > far as I can see, so I have a script running to mount them at boot
              > up to 4 directories (/mnt/ntfs[1-4].
              > When I look in My Network Places in windows, I can see HDD_1_1_1 to
              > HDD_1_4_1 but when I click on them, it says '... The Network Path
              > not found'.

              The drives will only work as windows share if they are mounted on
              the correct directory. If we solve the problem why they arent mounted
              automaticaly every thing will be fixed! What characterset do you use
              for the ntfs disk. Is that characterset installed on the slug.

              --
              marceln
            • techwizard
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
                Hiya

                Not entirely sure what you mean - can you clarify how I check ?

                Thanks
                \John

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, nslu2@... wrote:

                > On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 10:01:37PM -0000, techwizard wrote:
                > > The NTFS drives are on a 4 port hub plugged into Port 1 - I have
                not
                > > got the fourth drive to work. They do NOT mount automatically
                as
                > > far as I can see, so I have a script running to mount them at
                boot
                > > up to 4 directories (/mnt/ntfs[1-4].
                > > When I look in My Network Places in windows, I can see HDD_1_1_1
                > > HDD_1_4_1 but when I click on them, it says '... The Network
                Path
                > > not found'.
                >
                > The drives will only work as windows share if they are mounted on
                > the correct directory. If we solve the problem why they arent
                mounted
                > automaticaly every thing will be fixed! What characterset do you
                use
                > for the ntfs disk. Is that characterset installed on the slug.
                >

                > --
                > marceln

              • Marcel Nijenhof
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2006

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/UnslungLanguageSupport

                  --
                  Marceln
                • techwizard
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 11, 2006
                    Thanks - you are a star. Ficed the Codepage problem and now all of
                    my disks automount on startup ....