Managed to mangle groups/users

  • Tim Ball
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
      I think I mangled up my users and groups today, but I'm having trouble
      reconstucting what I did.

      Here's what I'm experiencing now:

      *With the NSLU2 web admin interface, if I try to access the Users
      page, I get a "Page Not Found" error. The link I'm clicking on goes to:
      http://192.168.1.77/Management/file_sharing.cgi?next_file=users.htm.
      I've verified that file_sharing.cgi and users.htm are both present.

      * Also, when I go to the Groups or Shares pages, I get a pop-up with
      the message: "Error: Fail to get user list". The pages load, but I
      get that pop-up.

      What I'd like to do is reset the users and groups of the factory
      defaults. I tried "Restore Default Config" on the System page and even
      doing a "fis erase -f 0x50040000 -l 0x20000" to erase configuration
      data from flash. But the existing group and user data remains.

      I've searched and haven't found any other suggestions for resetting
      this info. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
    • Tim Ball
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2004
        Fixed things up by telneting into RedBoot. There I found what
        appeared to be backups of the group, usrgrp.info, and smb.conf files
        in /share/hdd/conf. These backups all had ".ttt" appended to their
        names.

        I mv'd group, usrgrp.info, and smb.conf aside and cp'd group.ttt
        usrgrp.info.ttt, and smb.conf.ttt in their place. Rebooted and
        everything worked as it had prior to my mangling the user/group
        permissions.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Ball" <Tim@T...> wrote:

        > I think I mangled up my users and groups today, but I'm having
        trouble
        > reconstucting what I did.
        >
        > Here's what I'm experiencing now:
        >
        > *With the NSLU2 web admin interface, if I try to access the Users
        > page, I get a "Page Not Found" error. The link I'm clicking on goes
        to:
        > http://192.168.1.77/Management/file_sharing.cgi?next_file=users.htm.
        > I've verified that file_sharing.cgi and users.htm are both present.
        >
        > * Also, when I go to the Groups or Shares pages, I get a pop-up with
        > the message: "Error: Fail to get user list". The pages load, but I
        > get that pop-up.
        >
        > What I'd like to do is reset the users and groups of the factory
        > defaults. I tried "Restore Default Config" on the System page and
        even
        > doing a "fis erase -f 0x50040000 -l 0x20000" to erase configuration
        > data from flash. But the existing group and user data remains.
        >
        > I've searched and haven't found any other suggestions for resetting
        > this info. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
      • Chas
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6 11:25 AM
          I'm having a problem with my Linksys user interface. It says "Fail
          to get user list." The solution below did not work for me because
          the original ".ttt" versions of the files are also corrupt...or at
          least seem to be.

          Any hints on the proper formatting of these files? Does the Linksys
          inteface maintain them and/or require that they be in a specific
          format, order, numbering, etc? For example, if I manually gave one
          of the /etc/passwd users a different user number, would this cause
          the Admin Interface to choke? How do I recover from this?

          Thanks!
          -Chas