Re: Connection with a Wi-Fi (without de Ethernet)

  • mbogelund
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lord_rarok" <lord_rarok@...> wrote:

      > I want to know if it's posible to connect the NSLU to my LAN without
      > using a wired connection. I want to know if there is any way to use a
      > wireless system to connect it to my Wi-Fi router.
      >
      > Sorry if I don't explain it very well, I'm not very good at English.
      > Thanks.

      You will probably find this interesting:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter
    • chandersawh
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2006
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter

        Does this work for unslung 6.8?

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mbogelund" <mbogelund@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lord_rarok" <lord_rarok@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I want to know if it's posible to connect the NSLU to my LAN without
        > > using a wired connection. I want to know if there is any way to use a
        > > wireless system to connect it to my Wi-Fi router.
        > >
        > > Sorry if I don't explain it very well, I'm not very good at English.
        > > Thanks.
        > >

        > You will probably find this interesting:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter

      • Philip Johnson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2006
          On 8/26/06, chandersawh <chandersawh@...> wrote:
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter
          >
          > Does this work for unslung 6.8?
          > [snip]

          The module isn't available precompiled for Unslung; it isn't in the
          package feeds.
          You'd have to try compile it yourself, as well as all the necessary
          dependencies.

          Under OpenSlug, it is pretty much as easy as grabbing the packages
          from the ipkg feed and configuring.

          --
          Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey)
          +44 (0)20 7870 2206
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2006
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter
            >
            > Does this work for unslung 6.8?

            The zd1211 driver has to be built from source for Unslung. It works (at least it did last time I tried it), but not well enough to be added to the feeds. It seems to trigger a suspected firmware bug that locks up the device, and it has a lot of unaligned accesses that really need to be fixed.

            Not recommended for file transfer at this time....

            Mike (mwester)
          • janne5011
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2006
              as a alternative one can use a product like this (for example only,
              there are cheaper):
              http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=333
              with that you are using wlan "readymade" in minutes and of course can
              be used with other hardware. at least for those with little money to
              spend and find it to difficult to "build from source".

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

              > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter
              > >
              > > Does this work for unslung 6.8?
              >
              > The zd1211 driver has to be built from source for Unslung. It
              works (at least it did last time I tried it), but not well enough to
              be added to the feeds. It seems to trigger a suspected firmware bug
              that locks up the device, and it has a lot of unaligned accesses that
              really need to be fixed.

              > Not recommended for file transfer at this time....
              >
              > Mike (mwester)

            • stuart smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
                or you could use the DWL-g730ap. its a wireless access point, access point client and wireless router all in 1 and its tiny.

                Stuart
                as a alternative one can use a product like this (for example only,
                there are cheaper):
                http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=333
                with that you are using wlan "readymade" in minutes and of course can
                be used with other hardware. at least for those with little money to
                spend and find it to difficult to "build from source".

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

                > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter
                > >
                > > Does this work for unslung 6.8?
                >
                > The zd1211 driver has to be built from source for Unslung. It
                works (at least it did last time I tried it), but not well enough to
                be added to the feeds. It seems to trigger a suspected firmware bug
                that locks up the device, and it has a lot of unaligned accesses that
                really need to be fixed.

                > Not recommended for file transfer at this time....
                >
                > Mike (mwester)

              • sourceforager
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
                  In regards to the D-Link pocket router - does anyone have a step-by-
                  step guide to configuring it with a NSLU2 running Unslung. This would
                  be helpful for those of us who are not super-advanced coders or
                  compilers. Knowing this would aid us in knowing if it is worth buying
                  one.