Ushare and Xbox 360

  • jerblcom
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006
      Due to the rather bare nature of the Ushare wiki entry on NSLU2-Linux, and the fact that I
      can not find anything through their site, forum or wiki (ushare.geexbox.org) yet it says
      that the necessary changes have been made to share files to the Xbox 360, I appeal to this
      list.

      What do I need to do to get the standard Ushare package, installed through ipkg install on
      the Slug with the latest Unslung firmware, to work with the Xbox 360?

      I have scoured the net and have only come up with two ideas that I might be doing wrong,
      but I have been given no hint on how to fix them.

      First, that I need to append a ':1' to the end of the server name. This was mentioned on
      the Gmediaserver forums, so I am not entirely sure it applies to Ushare...

      Second, that I need to conform to a certain directory structure for the 360 to recognize
      what I am sharing, mentioned here at [http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/
      default.aspx?
      dg=microsoft.public.xbox&tid=4fb3c921-93ec-46ea-8e59-83f445936104&p=1].

      I have tried to contact the ushare developers, but either they are too busy, or it has been
      answered before somewhere that I have not been able to find. Before I tried that, I have
      tried an huge assortment of search terms at various places on the net to no avail. I am
      completely clueless as to how to get this to work.

      Just in case this helps anyone with my question, I have a standard slug with the latest
      unslung firmware, I installed the normal package of ushare provided with ipkg and have
      left the configuration file as it came, except for the directory of the media that I needed to
      provide. The service itself has started, and I can access the web page for adding
      directories. It would appear from the route table that the multicast address has been
      added for me, but just in case I typed the command that is provided on the ushare site
      (ushare.geexbox.org) and made sure it was entered. The 360 and the slug are across a
      standard switched hub. I do not have any other program off hand to test UPnP
      connectivity in general to see if it is just the 360 that can't find Ushare, unless someone
      can recommend a 'just works' UPnP client for MacOSX. I do have a version of mt-daapd
      running on the slug as well, just in case it might interfere in some way, but I have not
      heard anything related to that.

      Plain and simple, it doesn't work, I can't find a tutorial anywhere, and I would like to go the
      free route as Twonkyvision is a paytouse. I will more than gladly type up anything I learn
      and add it to the wiki on NSLU2-linux for others to find so that I am hopefully the last
      person that has this problem.

      Thanks in advance.