DebianSlug: no cifs or smbfs kernel modules...?

  • vputz@nyx.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2006
      EDIT: Works now, see below, posting to the list anyway in case
      someone has the same problem--at least the explanation will be
      visible.

      I installed DebianSlug (beautiful!) and got it working as a samba
      and nfs server. I'd like to get it working as a samba and nfs
      client as well. Unfortunately, I'm unable to mount -t cifs or
      mount -t smbfs, because:

      phlug:/home/vputz# mount -t cifs //marion/volatile /mnt/marion
      Password:
      mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system

      OK, so that's not good. Poking around, it looks like maybe I
      should have the smbfs or cifs modules modprobed? But they don't
      exist in my feeds (I'm pretty sure I'm running 3.10-beta).

      Hmm.

      So I poked around http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross
      just in case they were in there, and I DID find packages for
      kernel-module-cifs and kernel-module-smbfs, both -r6.4-ixp4xxle.ipk.

      Well, worth a shot. So I tried installing them with
      --force-architecture, since that was mentioned on
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/SetupNFSServer.

      No dice; it complains mightily:

      phlug:/home/vputz# dpkg --force-architecture -i
      kernel-module-smbfs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
      kernel-module-cifs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
      dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
      package architecture (ixp4xxle) does not match system (arm)
      (Reading database ... 19259 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to replace kernel-module-smbfs 2.6.16-r6.4 (using
      kernel-module-smbfs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk) ...
      Unpacking replacement kernel-module-smbfs ...
      Architecture-specific modutils configuration for arm not found, using
      defaults
      dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
      package architecture (ixp4xxle) does not match system (arm)
      Preparing to replace kernel-module-cifs 2.6.16-r6.4 (using
      kernel-module-cifs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk) ...
      Unpacking replacement kernel-module-cifs ...
      Architecture-specific modutils configuration for arm not found, using
      defaults
      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
      kernel-module-smbfs:
      kernel-module-smbfs depends on update-modules; however:
      Package update-modules is not installed.
      kernel-module-smbfs depends on kernel-image-2.6.16; however:
      Package kernel-image-2.6.16 is not installed.
      kernel-module-smbfs depends on kernel-module-nls-base; however:
      Package kernel-module-nls-base is not installed.
      dpkg: error processing kernel-module-smbfs (--install):
      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
      kernel-module-cifs:
      kernel-module-cifs depends on update-modules; however:
      Package update-modules is not installed.
      kernel-module-cifs depends on kernel-image-2.6.16;
      however:
      Package kernel-image-2.6.16 is not installed.
      kernel-module-cifs depends on kernel-module-nls-base;
      however:
      Package kernel-module-nls-base is not installed.
      dpkg: error processing kernel-module-cifs
      (--install):
      kernel-module-smbfs
      kernel-module-cifs

      Looks evil, right? I had thought I was hosed because of all the errors,
      and I wasn't sure what to do since I didn't really WANT to install
      update-modules and kernel-image-2.6.16, etc.

      Well, it turns out it's not a problem since it unpacked into the right
      locations, so a "depmod -a" works just fine, and I can modprobe cifs and
      smbfs, and mount shares.

      But the error messages were skeeery. I had the same sorts of issues
      with nfsd and friends when setting up NFS, but didn't realize what had
      fixed it. Now I know.

      Anyway, don't mean to clog the message list with a "problem! oh, wait,
      here's the solution" but I figured I may not be the only person that got
      confusticated by adding kernel modules and getting hideous error
      messages. I'm adding a wiki link to the DebianSlug page. If this is
      overly zealous of me, just delete it.

      Thanks-->VPutz