Re: fsck, more/less, telnetd

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2006
      I'm running unslug 6.8. I'm using telnet since telnet comes with every
      windows client and I am running it internally behind a firewalled
      environment. I'll check to see if i can find fsck, but i did a find / -
      name fsck and nothing shows. I also did see any 'more' command in the ipkg
      list. Thanks again for your help.

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2006
        Ok, well, if you insist on using telnet, you should look at the diversion
        script you installed that is supposed to be enabling telnetd on each reboot
        (which technique did you use? I'm assuming you are using a diversion
        script?). Take care if you edited the file on Windows that you do not have
        excess characters at the end of each line; Windows text editors frequently
        do that.

        Also, when you login via telnet, your environment variable PATH does not
        include "/opt/bin"; you'll need to arrange to do so (with a .profile in your
        home directory) yourself if you do not use OpenSSH.

        The fsck utility is named "fsck.ext3", not "fsck".

        "more" won't be a package in and of itself. Searching the ipkg search page
        for the filename "more" reveals that the search engine remains broken. Oh
        well. I do know that "more" is compiled into the busybox package, at least.
        I think there is a package with the real "more" utility as well. Check the
        wiki for info on the busybox package before you install it; those who have
        installed it have been known to regret it later. Personally, I "ipkg
        install busybox-base", and then create a sym link from /opt/bin/more to
        /opt/bin/busybox by hand. The wiki should outline the options and the
        potential problems of using an "all-in-one" utility like busybox.

        Mike (mwester)