Re: [nslu2-general] drivertodrivercp modified but not running from crontab

  • unix fan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
      What does your crontab entry say
      (i.e., what's the output of "crontab -l" ?)

      --- peecock41 <peecock41@...> wrote:

      > In order to get the backup working from disk 1 to
      > disk 2 under unslung
      > 2.12 I installed rsync and modified
      > /usr/sbin/drivertodrivercp to use it.
      >
      > Here's the modified snippet of drivertodrivercp
      >
      > ---
      > touch /tmp/DriveBackuping
      > #/usr/sbin/drive_backup --delete /share/hdd/conf/
      > /share/flash/conf/
      > #/usr/sbin/drive_backup --copy /share/hdd/conf/
      > /share/flash/conf/
      > /opt/bin/rsync -a --delete --delete-after
      > /share/hdd/conf/
      > /share/flash/conf
      > if [ $? = 0 ]; then
      > /opt/bin/rsync -a --delete --delete-after
      > /share/hdd/data/
      > /share/flash/data
      > fi
      > ---
      > (Note: the rsync lines run on to the next line)
      >
      > If I run this drivertodrivercp by hand it works
      > fine, if I let it run
      > through /etc/crontab it exits without doing
      > anything.
      >
      > Why doesn't it want to run properly through the
      > crontab?
      >
      > Thanks for any help,
      >
      > Albert

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
        On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:01:05 -0000, peecock41 <peecock41@...> wrote:
        > So the environment should be allright. And I use the full path to
        > rsync, I even tried the option --no-detach but that didn't make a
        > difference.

        Maybe you could use the strace command (there's an ipk for it) and
        redirect the output to a log file. Then you can see what's happening
        when crontab runs it.

        -- Rod
      • peecock41
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <unslung@g...> wrote:
          > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:01:05 -0000, peecock41 <peecock41@y...> wrote:
          > > So the environment should be allright. And I use the full path to
          > > rsync, I even tried the option --no-detach but that didn't make a
          > > difference.
          >
          > Maybe you could use the strace command (there's an ipk for it) and
          > redirect the output to a log file. Then you can see what's happening
          > when crontab runs it.
          >
          > -- Rod

          I got it working!

          The relevant entry in /etc/crontab is

          40 19 * * * root /usr/sbin/drivertodrivercp &>/dev/null

          (as created by the webinterface). However if I remove the &>/dev/null
          part it works fine!

          Unfortunately, the webinterface always put the &>/dev/null behind it,
          so whenever I change the backuptime I have to something else I have to
          edit the /etc/crontab by hand.

          The trick is to send the output of rsync in the drivertodrivercp
          script to /dev/null explicitly (i.e. &>/dev/null at the end of the
          command).

          Albert