Re: [nslu2-general] Problem with de-underclocking?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
      I wonder...

      ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
      slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
      the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
      the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
      could that explain the problems?

      Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
      their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
      removed the wrong resistor?

      Mike (mwester)

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
        > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs

        On a similar note, I wonder if there could be a new hardware rev. in
        general?

        In any case, if the original poster can figure out which resistor he's
        removed (or more precisely, the value of that resistor) the slug
        should be repairable with some careful soldering and a very cheap new
        resistor...
      • nick thompson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
          Mike (mwester) wrote:
          > I wonder...
          >
          > ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
          > slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
          > the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
          > the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
          > could that explain the problems?
          >
          > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
          > their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
          > removed the wrong resistor?
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          mine said 133 under openslug and gentoo, and now says 266 under
          openslug, and I know I removed the right resistor. I use a western
          digital external 120 gig usb drive that has a power button on the front
          and so I figure since it's powered that should be fine... but anyway, I
          still haven't had the time to try and re-install gentoo yet, (though i
          am going to very soon) got a new job. cool thing is, i got a job at a
          place that has products that have ixp425 cpus in them and there are *all
          sorts* of cool toys. and we make linux drivers for our products. :)

          Nick

          "All unix, all the time."

          http://npt.ath.cx
        • Harry Roy
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2006

            I have the sticker "Manufactured 05/2006".
            I am unable to telnet into it, have the passwords changed?
            I have tried admin/admin with disks attached, the connection drops.
            With the disks out root/uNSLUng is rejected.

            Harry

            > From: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@...>
            > Date: 2006/08/03 Thu PM 06:14:43 BST
            > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Problem with de-underclocking?
            >
            > Mike (mwester) wrote:
            > > I wonder...
            > >
            > > ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
            > > slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
            > > the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
            > > the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
            > > could that explain the problems?
            > >
            > > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
            > > their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
            > > removed the wrong resistor?
            > >
            > > Mike (mwester)

            Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
            Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software
          • jrawinsk
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2007
              I hope it's not bad form to bring up an old topic... I have done
              forum searches, and read the FAQ and howto regarding removing the
              resistor to overclock the NSLU2. I also have read quite a few people
              who report that their NSLU2 was clocked at 266 out of the box. I
              recently purchased an NSLU2 (S/N SGA005200787). I unslung it and
              everything is working mostly fine (I am having problems getting PHP to
              work but that's another topic). I checked the cpu speed and see the
              following:

              # cat < /proc/cpuinfo
              Processor : XScale-IXP425/IXC1100 rev 1 (v5b)
              BogoMIPS : 131.48

              I know it would be easy to remove the resistor and de underclock it
              but I was wondering if others are still getting the natively
              deunderclocked devices. Mine doesn't have any manufacture date
              sticker on it. If my model is just an older one I'll take it
              back and try again. I'd rather have one natively working than void my
              warranty. Anyone purchase one recently and check the clock speed?

              By the way I tried to contact Linksys support on the phone and on the
              website and both times was told that clock speed was something that
              could be modified by FW, and wasn't supported by Linksys. So I gave
              up that route.

              Thanks in advance
              Jon