RE: [nslu2-general] Problem with de-underclocking?

  • Mike Pellatt
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      Also, as per the wiki, it seems NSLU2's are being shipped already "de-underclocked".

      I received one last week that showed 266 BogoMips. Didn't open it (as it's off to a customer) so didn't check whether that resistor is there or not.

      Mike

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        I wonder...

        ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
        slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
        the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
        the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
        could that explain the problems?

        Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
        their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
        removed the wrong resistor?

        Mike (mwester)

        Also, as per the wiki, it seems NSLU2's are being shipped already
        "de-underclocked".

        I received one last week that showed 266 BogoMips. Didn't open it (as it's
        off to a customer) so didn't check whether that resistor is there or not.

        Mike

      • zvsmedia
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
          > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs

          On a similar note, I wonder if there could be a new hardware rev. in
          general?

          In any case, if the original poster can figure out which resistor he's
          removed (or more precisely, the value of that resistor) the slug
          should be repairable with some careful soldering and a very cheap new
          resistor...
        • nick thompson
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
            Mike (mwester) wrote:
            > I wonder...
            >
            > ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
            > slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
            > the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
            > the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
            > could that explain the problems?
            >
            > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
            > their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
            > removed the wrong resistor?
            >
            > Mike (mwester)

            mine said 133 under openslug and gentoo, and now says 266 under
            openslug, and I know I removed the right resistor. I use a western
            digital external 120 gig usb drive that has a power button on the front
            and so I figure since it's powered that should be fine... but anyway, I
            still haven't had the time to try and re-install gentoo yet, (though i
            am going to very soon) got a new job. cool thing is, i got a job at a
            place that has products that have ixp425 cpus in them and there are *all
            sorts* of cool toys. and we make linux drivers for our products. :)

            Nick

            "All unix, all the time."

            http://npt.ath.cx
          • Harry Roy
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2006

              I have the sticker "Manufactured 05/2006".
              I am unable to telnet into it, have the passwords changed?
              I have tried admin/admin with disks attached, the connection drops.
              With the disks out root/uNSLUng is rejected.

              Harry

              > From: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@...>
              > Date: 2006/08/03 Thu PM 06:14:43 BST
              > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Problem with de-underclocking?
              >
              > Mike (mwester) wrote:
              > > I wonder...
              > >
              > > ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
              > > slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
              > > the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
              > > the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
              > > could that explain the problems?
              > >
              > > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
              > > their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
              > > removed the wrong resistor?
              > >
              > > Mike (mwester)

              Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
              Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software
            • jrawinsk
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2007
                I hope it's not bad form to bring up an old topic... I have done
                forum searches, and read the FAQ and howto regarding removing the
                resistor to overclock the NSLU2. I also have read quite a few people
                who report that their NSLU2 was clocked at 266 out of the box. I
                recently purchased an NSLU2 (S/N SGA005200787). I unslung it and
                everything is working mostly fine (I am having problems getting PHP to
                work but that's another topic). I checked the cpu speed and see the
                following:

                # cat < /proc/cpuinfo
                Processor : XScale-IXP425/IXC1100 rev 1 (v5b)
                BogoMIPS : 131.48

                I know it would be easy to remove the resistor and de underclock it
                but I was wondering if others are still getting the natively
                deunderclocked devices. Mine doesn't have any manufacture date
                sticker on it. If my model is just an older one I'll take it
                back and try again. I'd rather have one natively working than void my
                warranty. Anyone purchase one recently and check the clock speed?

                By the way I tried to contact Linksys support on the phone and on the
                website and both times was told that clock speed was something that
                could be modified by FW, and wasn't supported by Linksys. So I gave
                up that route.

                Thanks in advance
                Jon