Problem with de-underclocking?

  • lizardkok
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
      Hi All,

      1 week ago, I bought an NSLU2. Can't really remember the order of
      events which happened, but I did flashing, remove a resister from it
      to de-underclock it etc etc.

      I can't remember being able to unsling (not even once!). I spend
      almost 2 solid days (24 hours/day!!) trying to figure out why, by
      flashing and following instructions right to the dot. I flashed
      unslung, openslug, debianslug, di-nslu and even the Linksys's stock
      firmware.

      None worked as documented in nslu2-linux.org! Unslung couldn't format
      my disk, OpenSlug cannot turnup disk w/o hanging, di-nslu fail to
      allow me to ssh or ping it after flashing etc etc.

      I was at the verge of breakdown and my wife forced me to sleep. I
      slept for 23 hours, then got up, went down to the store and bought
      another NSLU2. I was able to unsling it within 30 mins following the
      exact same instructions I did 1 night ago.

      Haven't tried OpenSlug yet. I'll do that tonight.

      The only 2 things I can think of causing my previous failures were:

      1. I got a faulty NSLU2, or
      2 The de-underclocking permanently bricked it.

      For 1., it's fate, can't blame anyone.
      For 2., I wanted to ask...anyone of you able to de-underclock w/o
      problem(s)?

      BTW, mwester, thank you. You were VERY kind and helped me thru' my
      unslinging, and we arrived at the conclusion that it was my 6GB USB
      minidrive's fault. However, after getting another NSLU2 and using the
      same minidrive for unslinging, I must let you know that it wasn't the
      drive's fault. It's probably the de-underclocking. I am STILL VERY
      grateful for you help. ;)

      Lizard
    • Philip Pemberton
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
        lizardkok wrote:
        > The only 2 things I can think of causing my previous failures were:
        >
        > 1. I got a faulty NSLU2, or
        > 2 The de-underclocking permanently bricked it.
        >
        > For 1., it's fate, can't blame anyone.
        > For 2., I wanted to ask...anyone of you able to de-underclock w/o
        > problem(s)?

        Yep. I've got a 266MHz TurboSlug here running a modified OpenSlug 3.10 kernel
        ("modified" as in "it supports IP QoS and carries drivers for the SpeedTouch
        DSL modem") and OpenDebianSlug on the HDD. Works fine. In fact, I had nearly
        two months of uptime on it before I reflashed it.

        I'd take a good look at the PCB. Make sure you removed the right resistor.
        Also, get a magnifying glass and make sure you haven't accidentally created a
        solder bridge somewhere. Look out for 'whiskers' of stray solder, and broken
        or lifted tracks.

        --
        Phil. | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
        philpem@... | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
          > > For 2., I wanted to ask...anyone of you able to de-underclock w/o
          > > problem(s)?

          Yes. I've been running Unslung 5.5/6.8 for months without issue.
        • David Eckels
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
            Yup. De-underclocked 2 slugs in the last 2 weeks, both with no particular finesse, and both without trouble. Both have been booted 10+ times each (I like to test things to be certain) and have functioned correctly every time save the first boot.
            -Dave (meandlisa@...)

            zvsmedia <jthomas@...> wrote: > > For 2., I wanted to ask...anyone of you able to de-underclock w/o
            > > problem(s)?

            Yes. I've been running Unslung 5.5/6.8 for months without issue.

          • Mike Pellatt
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 7:45 AM
              Also, as per the wiki, it seems NSLU2's are being shipped already "de-underclocked".

              I received one last week that showed 266 BogoMips. Didn't open it (as it's off to a customer) so didn't check whether that resistor is there or not.

              Mike

            • Mike (mwester)
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 11:41 AM
                I wonder...

                ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
                slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
                the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
                the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
                could that explain the problems?

                Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
                their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
                removed the wrong resistor?

                Mike (mwester)

                Also, as per the wiki, it seems NSLU2's are being shipped already
                "de-underclocked".

                I received one last week that showed 266 BogoMips. Didn't open it (as it's
                off to a customer) so didn't check whether that resistor is there or not.

                Mike

              • zvsmedia
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3 4:50 AM
                  > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs

                  On a similar note, I wonder if there could be a new hardware rev. in
                  general?

                  In any case, if the original poster can figure out which resistor he's
                  removed (or more precisely, the value of that resistor) the slug
                  should be repairable with some careful soldering and a very cheap new
                  resistor...
                • nick thompson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3 10:14 AM
                    Mike (mwester) wrote:
                    > I wonder...
                    >
                    > ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
                    > slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
                    > the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
                    > the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
                    > could that explain the problems?
                    >
                    > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
                    > their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
                    > removed the wrong resistor?
                    >
                    > Mike (mwester)

                    mine said 133 under openslug and gentoo, and now says 266 under
                    openslug, and I know I removed the right resistor. I use a western
                    digital external 120 gig usb drive that has a power button on the front
                    and so I figure since it's powered that should be fine... but anyway, I
                    still haven't had the time to try and re-install gentoo yet, (though i
                    am going to very soon) got a new job. cool thing is, i got a job at a
                    place that has products that have ixp425 cpus in them and there are *all
                    sorts* of cool toys. and we make linux drivers for our products. :)

                    Nick

                    "All unix, all the time."

                    http://npt.ath.cx
                  • Harry Roy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4 1:57 AM

                      I have the sticker "Manufactured 05/2006".
                      I am unable to telnet into it, have the passwords changed?
                      I have tried admin/admin with disks attached, the connection drops.
                      With the disks out root/uNSLUng is rejected.

                      Harry

                      > From: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@...>
                      > Date: 2006/08/03 Thu PM 06:14:43 BST
                      > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Problem with de-underclocking?
                      >
                      > Mike (mwester) wrote:
                      > > I wonder...
                      > >
                      > > ... could it be that some of the troubles experienced with "de-underclocked"
                      > > slugs lately are because they might have *already* been de-underclocked from
                      > > the factory? In that case, if one were not careful, they might be removing
                      > > the wrong resistor. I wonder what that resistor would be changing, and
                      > > could that explain the problems?
                      > >
                      > > Perhaps those experiencing such problems could open their slugs, and compare
                      > > their boards carefully with the photos on the wiki to see if they perhaps
                      > > removed the wrong resistor?
                      > >
                      > > Mike (mwester)

                      Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
                      Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software
                    • jrawinsk
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 30, 2007
                        I hope it's not bad form to bring up an old topic... I have done
                        forum searches, and read the FAQ and howto regarding removing the
                        resistor to overclock the NSLU2. I also have read quite a few people
                        who report that their NSLU2 was clocked at 266 out of the box. I
                        recently purchased an NSLU2 (S/N SGA005200787). I unslung it and
                        everything is working mostly fine (I am having problems getting PHP to
                        work but that's another topic). I checked the cpu speed and see the
                        following:

                        # cat < /proc/cpuinfo
                        Processor : XScale-IXP425/IXC1100 rev 1 (v5b)
                        BogoMIPS : 131.48

                        I know it would be easy to remove the resistor and de underclock it
                        but I was wondering if others are still getting the natively
                        deunderclocked devices. Mine doesn't have any manufacture date
                        sticker on it. If my model is just an older one I'll take it
                        back and try again. I'd rather have one natively working than void my
                        warranty. Anyone purchase one recently and check the clock speed?

                        By the way I tried to contact Linksys support on the phone and on the
                        website and both times was told that clock speed was something that
                        could be modified by FW, and wasn't supported by Linksys. So I gave
                        up that route.

                        Thanks in advance
                        Jon