Got Device I/O error and then a "not formatted" drive

  • Francois Groleau
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2004
      Hi there,

      I ran into a problem with my NSLU2. I was at about 30G of used disk
      space out of 200G in an ADSTech DLX-185 (Firewire/USB) enclosure when
      I got a "Device I/O error" while unzipping to the NSLU2-attached
      disk. When that happened, I shut down the NSLU2 and then powered off
      the external drive.

      After restarting the drive and the NSLU2, the disk was recognized but
      showed up as "not formatted" in the NSLU2 web-based management
      application.

      Neither Partition Magic, Paragon, nor Acronis could do something with
      the drive. As reported in a separate message, the demo version of
      Stellar Phoenix Recovery at least showed me the lost files (all of
      them it seems), so there is hope.

      From reading this group, there seems to be a number of people having
      problems similar to this. Does one of the alternative firmwares fix
      these issues?

      Given that the enclosure I use is listed as working fine in the
      Database of this group, I am wondering if I hit another limitation.
      Is there a limitation on the number of files or directories that the
      NSLU2 or the ext2 filesystem can handle?

      I was really excited when I learned about the existence of this
      product and I ran to buy it. This is exactly what I was looking
      for. But now, I am concerned with the safety of the data I want to
      put on it. I wanted to use the NSLU2 to make files available on my
      home network without leaving a dedicated PC always on. Now it sounds
      like I will need one to always have the NSLU2-attached disk backed
      up! And I am not too attracted to the idea of having a second NSLU2-
      attached disk back up the first one, given what just happened.

      I am actually considering going for a Maxtor One-Touch. The rather
      helpless Linksys support guy told me that's the only one they
      recommend. Is it known to be absolutely rock solid with the NSLU2?

      Thanks

      -grof-