usb webcam spca5xx

  • harmaarts
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24 9:28 AM
      Dear all,
      Has anybody gotten a webcam working with the spca5xx driver? I am not
      too familiar with modules and my web cam (093a:2468 PixArt) does not
      seems to be supported with the ov511 module.
      Thanks in advance
    • peter richard
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24 2:46 PM
        I tried compiling the spca5xx driver and it according to dmesg appears
        to work, correctly identifying the camera model:

        "Linux video capture interface: v1.00
        usb.c: registered new driver spca5xx
        drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: USB SPCA5XX camera found. Type Aiptek mini
        PenCam 1.3(SPCA504A)
        drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_probe:5496] Camera type JPEG
        drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_getcapability:1781] maxw 640 maxh 480
        minw 176 minh 144
        drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: spca5xx driver 00.60.00 registered"

        but vidcat doesn't work with it. I tried feeding it /dev/videodev and
        each of the four /dev/videoX (X=1..4) and it always gives the same
        error message "Can't open device /dev/video".

        One problem in the source code, is that a data structure with a frame
        sequence number defined is commented out in spca5xx.h, while in the
        code (spca5xx.c) it is used in a single instance as a part of a series
        of printf that echos the data structure to output. So which to go by
        the header or the code? So far I commented out the printf. Now having
        exhausted attempts to make it work, I need to re-compile with the frame
        sequence in and try that. Very odd that one should have conflicting
        code sources online for over a year, w/o some one complaining and
        getting a corrected package put online. I guess that just indicates how
        rare it is for someone to compile it.
        peter

        On Jul 24, 2006, at 12:28 PM, harmaarts wrote:

        > Dear all,
        > Has anybody gotten a webcam working with the spca5xx driver? I am not
        > too familiar with modules and my web cam (093a:2468 PixArt) does not
        > seems to be supported with the ov511 module.
        > Thanks in advance
      • harmaarts
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25 2:47 AM
          That, indeed, is odd. Do you think your efforts are going to be added
          to the ipkg repositories? I failed to mention that I am using Unslung
          6.8 btw.
          Is there any chance your compiled driver works on my slug? It goes
          without saying that that would be utterly great.

          Luck to you!

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, peter richard <pdfrichard@...>
          wrote:

          > I tried compiling the spca5xx driver and it according to dmesg appears
          > to work, correctly identifying the camera model:
          >
          > "Linux video capture interface: v1.00
          > usb.c: registered new driver spca5xx
          > drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: USB SPCA5XX camera found. Type Aiptek mini
          > PenCam 1.3(SPCA504A)
          > drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_probe:5496] Camera type JPEG
          > drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_getcapability:1781] maxw 640 maxh 480
          > minw 176 minh 144
          > drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: spca5xx driver 00.60.00 registered"
          >
          > but vidcat doesn't work with it. I tried feeding it /dev/videodev and
          > each of the four /dev/videoX (X=1..4) and it always gives the same
          > error message "Can't open device /dev/video".
          >
          > One problem in the source code, is that a data structure with a frame
          > sequence number defined is commented out in spca5xx.h, while in the
          > code (spca5xx.c) it is used in a single instance as a part of a series
          > of printf that echos the data structure to output. So which to go by
          > the header or the code? So far I commented out the printf. Now having
          > exhausted attempts to make it work, I need to re-compile with the frame
          > sequence in and try that. Very odd that one should have conflicting
          > code sources online for over a year, w/o some one complaining and
          > getting a corrected package put online. I guess that just indicates how
          > rare it is for someone to compile it.
          > peter
          >
          > On Jul 24, 2006, at 12:28 PM, harmaarts wrote:
          >
          > > Dear all,
          > > Has anybody gotten a webcam working with the spca5xx driver? I am not
          > > too familiar with modules and my web cam (093a:2468 PixArt) does not
          > > seems to be supported with the ov511 module.
          > > Thanks in advance

        • peter richard
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25 8:21 AM
            This was compiled natively on Unslung 6.8. The files are available as:
            http://www.makehell.com/scripts/SPCA5xx_for_Slug.zip

            inside are 3 files: a readme in html - Spca5.html, and spca5xx.o with
            modified S89webcam

          • harmaarts
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25 11:25 AM
              Whow! That is really great! ATM I dont have the time to try it out but
              I will asap! Thanks a lot regardless.

              wrote:

              > This was compiled natively on Unslung 6.8. The files are available as:
              > http://www.makehell.com/scripts/SPCA5xx_for_Slug.zip
              >
              > inside are 3 files: a readme in html - Spca5.html, and spca5xx.o with
              > modified S89webcam
              >
              > On Jul 25, 2006, at 5:47 AM, harmaarts wrote:
              >
              > > That, indeed, is odd. Do you think your efforts are going to be added
              > > to the ipkg repositories? I failed to mention that I am using Unslung
              > > 6.8 btw.
              > > Is there any chance your compiled driver works on my slug? It goes
              > > without saying that that would be utterly great.
              > >
              > > Luck to you!
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, peter richard <pdfrichard@>
              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I tried compiling the spca5xx driver and it according to dmesg
              > >> appears
              > >> to work, correctly identifying the camera model:
              > >>
              > >> "Linux video capture interface: v1.00
              > >> usb.c: registered new driver spca5xx
              > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: USB SPCA5XX camera found. Type Aiptek mini
              > >> PenCam 1.3(SPCA504A)
              > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_probe:5496] Camera type JPEG
              > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_getcapability:1781] maxw 640 maxh 480
              > >> minw 176 minh 144
              > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: spca5xx driver 00.60.00 registered"
              > >>
              > >> but vidcat doesn't work with it. I tried feeding it /dev/videodev
              > >> and
              > >> each of the four /dev/videoX (X=1..4) and it always gives the same
              > >> error message "Can't open device /dev/video".
              > >>
              > >> One problem in the source code, is that a data structure with a frame
              > >> sequence number defined is commented out in spca5xx.h, while in the
              > >> code (spca5xx.c) it is used in a single instance as a part of a
              series
              > >> of printf that echos the data structure to output. So which to go by
              > >> the header or the code? So far I commented out the printf. Now having
              > >> exhausted attempts to make it work, I need to re-compile with the
              > >> frame
              > >> sequence in and try that. Very odd that one should have conflicting
              > >> code sources online for over a year, w/o some one complaining and
              > >> getting a corrected package put online. I guess that just indicates
              > >> how
              > >> rare it is for someone to compile it.
              > >> peter

            • juggler_munier
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25 7:31 PM
                Will these files work with the Logitech Quickcam Messenger? How can I
                tell which chip-set the webcam uses?

                > This was compiled natively on Unslung 6.8. The files are available as:
                > http://www.makehell.com/scripts/SPCA5xx_for_Slug.zip
                >
                > inside are 3 files: a readme in html - Spca5.html, and spca5xx.o with
                > modified S89webcam
                >
                > On Jul 25, 2006, at 5:47 AM, harmaarts wrote:
                >
                > > That, indeed, is odd. Do you think your efforts are going to be added
                > > to the ipkg repositories? I failed to mention that I am using Unslung
                > > 6.8 btw.
                > > Is there any chance your compiled driver works on my slug? It goes
                > > without saying that that would be utterly great.
                > >
                > > Luck to you!
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, peter richard <pdfrichard@>
                > > wrote:
                > >>
                > >> I tried compiling the spca5xx driver and it according to dmesg
                > >> appears
                > >> to work, correctly identifying the camera model:
                > >>
                > >> "Linux video capture interface: v1.00
                > >> usb.c: registered new driver spca5xx
                > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: USB SPCA5XX camera found. Type Aiptek mini
                > >> PenCam 1.3(SPCA504A)
                > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_probe:5496] Camera type JPEG
                > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_getcapability:1781] maxw 640 maxh 480
                > >> minw 176 minh 144
                > >> drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: spca5xx driver 00.60.00 registered"
                > >>
                > >> but vidcat doesn't work with it. I tried feeding it /dev/videodev
                > >> and
                > >> each of the four /dev/videoX (X=1..4) and it always gives the same
                > >> error message "Can't open device /dev/video".
                > >>
                > >> One problem in the source code, is that a data structure with a frame
                > >> sequence number defined is commented out in spca5xx.h, while in the
                > >> code (spca5xx.c) it is used in a single instance as a part of a
                series
                > >> of printf that echos the data structure to output. So which to go by
                > >> the header or the code? So far I commented out the printf. Now having
                > >> exhausted attempts to make it work, I need to re-compile with the
                > >> frame
                > >> sequence in and try that. Very odd that one should have conflicting
                > >> code sources online for over a year, w/o some one complaining and
                > >> getting a corrected package put online. I guess that just indicates
                > >> how
                > >> rare it is for someone to compile it.
                > >> peter

              • peter richard
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 26 6:39 AM
                  Depends on the model: for specific cams that work with this driver see:
                  http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

                  for all chipsets matched to manufacturer's model try:
                  http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php?orderBy=manufacturer
                  also a list of both supported/unsupported webcams is at:
                  http://www.ovcam.org/ov511/cameras.html

                  for Video for Linux (v4l) Resources (general software written to use
                  the USB drivers):
                  http://www.exploits.org/v4l/

                • harmaarts
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 28, 2006
                    Hi!
                    I finally got time to give these these drivers a try. Unfortunately I
                    encountered several problems. One, the camera did not get detected
                    when plugged in a powered USB 2.0 hub. That is annoying but not that
                    bad. Sound doesn't work that way either. Second, when doing:
                    root@slug:~# vidcat -d /dev/video0 -p y -s 160x120 > test.jpeg
                    My slug crashes hard!
                    This is the relevant part of dmesg:
                    Linux video capture interface: v1.00
                    usb.c: registered new driver spca5xx
                    drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: spca5xx driver 00.60.00 registered
                    hub.c: new USB device 00:01.0-1, assigned address 2
                    Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
                    Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
                    drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: USB SPCA5XX camera found. Pixart PAC207BCA
                    drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_probe:5496] Camera type GBRG
                    drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: [spca5xx_getcapability:1781] maxw 352 maxh 288
                    minw 160 minh 120
                    I have no idea what goes wrong, just as soon as I gove the vidcat
                    command it crashes without errors. Pulling the power is the only way
                    to reset it.

                    Any hints?
                    Harm
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "harmaarts" <harmaarts@...> wrote:

                    > Whow! That is really great! ATM I dont have the time to try it out but
                    > I will asap! Thanks a lot regardless.
                    >
                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, peter richard <pdfrichard@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > This was compiled natively on Unslung 6.8. The files are available as:
                    > > http://www.makehell.com/scripts/SPCA5xx_for_Slug.zip
                    > >
                    > > inside are 3 files: a readme in html - Spca5.html, and spca5xx.o
                    with
                    > > modified S89webcam
                    > >
                    > > On Jul 25, 2006, at 5:47 AM, harmaarts wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > That, indeed, is odd. Do you think your efforts are going to be
                    added
                    > > > to the ipkg repositories? I failed to mention that I am using
                    Unslung
                    > > > 6.8 btw.
                    > > > Is there any chance your compiled driver works on my slug? It goes
                    > > > without saying that that would be utterly great.
                    > > >
                    > > > Luck to you!
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, peter richard <pdfrichard@>

                    > series

                    > am not
                    does not

                  • guy_nux
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
                      For DebianSlug 3.10 (LE), I wrote a howto to get the spca5xx driver
                      working:
                      http://slugplayer.free.fr/wikini/wakka.php?wiki=InstallerUneWebcam
                      See also how to stream the webcam with motion or vlc (quite slow).
                      Sorry, it's in french :-(
                    • Harm Aarts
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
                        How slow is quite slow? 10fps? 5? Does it completely use up all CPU cycles
                        and more memory?
                        Thanks for the link though. I got the general gest of it. :)