Re: unslug, usb key, NTFS drive

  • mujjauk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
      Not entirely correct. See my earlier post. I've unslung to a USB key
      in port 1 and have 4 NTFS disks on a hub on port 1.

      I've edited samba config file to create my own shares mapped to
      directories spread across all 4 NTFS disks.

      The linksys webgui won't let you create shares or set permissions on
      NTFS disk. But you can easily do this by editing smb.conf.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
      wrote:

      > 2) You cannot keep permissions with NTFS; there is no general
      mapping mechanism from the NSLU2's native permissions to NTFS
      permissions.
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
        On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 18:41 +0000, mujjauk wrote:

        > 2) You cannot keep permissions with NTFS; there is no general
        > > mapping mechanism from the NSLU2's native permissions to NTFS
        > > permissions
        >
        > Not entirely correct. See my earlier post. I've unslung to a USB key
        > in port 1 and have 4 NTFS disks on a hub on port 1.
        >
        > I've edited samba config file to create my own shares mapped to
        > directories spread across all 4 NTFS disks.
        >
        > The linksys webgui won't let you create shares or set permissions on
        > NTFS disk. But you can easily do this by editing smb.conf.

        This really a matter of perspective.

        It is imposable to store posix permissions on a ntfs disk.

        You can create shares on samba level which have access rights
        the way you want them. But this wont change the fact that it
        is impossible to store the right posix permisions to that file.
        It only looks good through the smb share.

        The biggest problem is that i don't believe that unslung 6.8
        behaves stable with ntfs disks. I have tested with ntfs and found
        that the slug will crash under heavy io.

        Besides that the only advantage of ntfs is that it's easy to
        use the same disk on windows. If you use that disk almost exclusive
        for the slug i wouldn't recomend ntfs.

        --
        Marceln