Re: unslug, usb key, NTFS drive

  • mujjauk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
      Not entirely correct. See my earlier post. I've unslung to a USB key
      in port 1 and have 4 NTFS disks on a hub on port 1.

      I've edited samba config file to create my own shares mapped to
      directories spread across all 4 NTFS disks.

      The linksys webgui won't let you create shares or set permissions on
      NTFS disk. But you can easily do this by editing smb.conf.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
      wrote:

      > 2) You cannot keep permissions with NTFS; there is no general
      mapping mechanism from the NSLU2's native permissions to NTFS
      permissions.
    • mujjauk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Mayorga Adame"
        <alex_mayorga@...> wrote:
        > I'm looking forward to unsling my NSLU2, but I already have my WD
        > myBook (NTFS formatted) almost full of random stuff, that won't fit
        > anywhere else here. On to my questions/concerns:
        >
        > - Can I Unsling to and already formatted NTFS drive and keep my
        data safely??

        You cannot unsling to an NTFS drive. The drive has to formatted with
        the EXT3 filesystem. If you want to unsling to your mybook you'll
        have to format it.

        > - Is it a good idea to use an USB flash key for unslinging?

        I've unslung to a USB key attached to port 2. Only reason I've done
        this is so I can turn off or disconnect my NTFS disks in port 2
        whenever I want and still have the slug up and running for other
        tasks.

        > - How big it should be it if I plan to use the NSLU2 as the home
        mail, blog, web server??

        They aren't too expensive now so i bought a 2GB drive. Was better
        value for money compared to the 1GB stick. I could have got away
        with a 128MB stick though as I haven't really installed anything on
        it. Just TwonkyMedia.

        > - Would you recommend any particular model/make for the USB flash
        drive?

        Anyone will do.

        > - Finally and most important, what would be your approach in this
        > situation?

        Keep the mybook as NTFS, unsling to a USB key on port 2. You can
        attach the mybook to you PC/Laptop for large file transfers as the
        Slug is too slow over the LAN. It good enough for streaming movies
        and copying across the odd file but if you have 10+ GB to copy its
        best to attach teh disk directly to you PC.

        > Thanks in advance to whomever answers my questions.
        > Best regards,
        > Alex

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
          On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 18:41 +0000, mujjauk wrote:

          > 2) You cannot keep permissions with NTFS; there is no general
          > > mapping mechanism from the NSLU2's native permissions to NTFS
          > > permissions
          >
          > Not entirely correct. See my earlier post. I've unslung to a USB key
          > in port 1 and have 4 NTFS disks on a hub on port 1.
          >
          > I've edited samba config file to create my own shares mapped to
          > directories spread across all 4 NTFS disks.
          >
          > The linksys webgui won't let you create shares or set permissions on
          > NTFS disk. But you can easily do this by editing smb.conf.

          This really a matter of perspective.

          It is imposable to store posix permissions on a ntfs disk.

          You can create shares on samba level which have access rights
          the way you want them. But this wont change the fact that it
          is impossible to store the right posix permisions to that file.
          It only looks good through the smb share.

          The biggest problem is that i don't believe that unslung 6.8
          behaves stable with ntfs disks. I have tested with ntfs and found
          that the slug will crash under heavy io.

          Besides that the only advantage of ntfs is that it's easy to
          use the same disk on windows. If you use that disk almost exclusive
          for the slug i wouldn't recomend ntfs.

          --
          Marceln