NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 pings drive every 4 seconds

  • dugr949
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2006
      I'm stumped! I have a NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 running Twonkyvision 3.1. and
      cups for the printserver.

      About every 4 seconds the NSLU2 accesses the hard drive briefly...
      (more like a ping). The drive is a Western Digital 60gb 2.5" Drive
      using USB Port 2.

      After killing the mediaserver and cups processes the drive is still
      being pinged about ever 4 seconds.

      Reboot without drive then connect drive and after it mounts it sits
      idle. I unmount the drive and run fsck....

      # umount /dev/sda1
      # /sbin/fsck.ext3 -f /dev/sda1
      e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
      Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
      Fix<y>? yes

      Inode 131100 was part of the orphaned inode list. FIXED.
      Inode 557061 was part of the orphaned inode list. FIXED.
      Pass 2: Checking directory structure
      Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
      Pass 4: Checking reference counts
      Pass 5: Checking group summary information

      reboot system and let it boot with the drive and it goes back to the
      same issue.

      Again, if I reboot the system without the drive and the mount then
      drive I have the same disk error as stated above in the same location.

      Everthing else is opperating fine.
    • Wako Knight
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
        There is a process that check both USB ports to see if a drive is plugged or unplugged. When you kill the 2 processes doing so, you'll notice your drives will not have "pings" anymore. I do not remember the name of the process, but there is "usb" in the name if I remember well.