Re: [nslu2-general] Re: NSLU2 MailServer for Dummies

  • stuart smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      I'm not using postfix, but xmail. I found the easiest way was to define my own domain and just let the slug talk to the outside world rather than the ISP.

      I found it very difficult to configure until I found this handbook which enabled me to have it up and running in less than an hour.

      http://www.ubaight.com/templates/ubaight/xmail/xmailhandbook.html

      Stuart
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
        I believe you want to set the 'relayhost' parameter in
        /etc/postfix/main.cf. I don't know what you need to do regarding
        providing authentication to that server.

        Addressing another comment, an increasing number of sites blindly reject
        all email originating at consumer IP addresses. It's harsh, but for every
        message from a technically competent user with his own domain there's
        easily 1000+ from hijacked PCs. (This is why sysadmins are not entirely
        joking when they argue for the death penalty for spammers.)

        Worse, some ISPs have started filtering outbound port 25 traffic. Same
        argument -- they're cutting down on complaints (and bandwidth) by blocking
        traffic that's 99.9+% illegitimate. Businesses should always block
        outbound port 25 traffic from all but their authorized mail servers,
        although few actually do.

        You can forward mail through your ISP, but spam strikes again. Some ISPs
        have started rewriting headers to show the 'correct' sender. E.g., while
        you wanted to send mail from "bsmith@..." they can't distinguish
        that from "customer.service@..." so they rewrite all headers as
        "hot.mama@...".

        My approach has been running my own virtual hosted server at tummy.com.
        It's only $25/month and gets me around all of these hassles. It may not
        be cost-effective for you -- I need to eat my own dog food if I claim to
        be a competent Linux sysadmin.

        Bear