Re: NSLU2 MailServer for Dummies

  • CGHOST98
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 5:48 PM
      Thanks but I can "get" emails down to the slug but I don't know how to
      configure Postfix to send them to my ISP.

      Any ideas ..?

      -PF

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jwd_45244" <jwd_45244@...> wrote:

      > try fetchmail to bring the e-mail back to your NSLU2.
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "CGHOST98" <cghost98@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings All,
      > >
      > > This is what I want to do:
      > >
      > > 1. I have 3 ISP-issued POP3 email accounts, I want the NSLU2 to pull
      > > the emails from my ISP and serve them to Outlook and a web-based email
      > > portal. Therefore I have an ISP issued POP3 and SMTP server addresses
      > > with a login/password.
      > >
      > > 2. I want to use Postfix, Dovecot (or perhaps Cyrus) and maybe
      > > SquirrelMail - or alternatives! I'm flexible.
      > >
      > > My slug currently runs MySql, PHP5, Cherokee WebServer, FTP server and
      > > of course shares my files on 2x80GB HDDs.
      > >
      > > I've read the how-to articles for Media server on
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ but I can't get the thing to work - and I
      > > don't think I'm going the right way around it.
      > >
      > > Can anybody please please write some - idiot proof (or close to)
      > > instructions on how to get it to work - or even point me in the rigth
      > > direction .... I'm a linux newbie but I'm learning!
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance!!
      > >
      > > - Peter

    • stuart smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1 6:24 PM
        I'm not using postfix, but xmail. I found the easiest way was to define my own domain and just let the slug talk to the outside world rather than the ISP.

        I found it very difficult to configure until I found this handbook which enabled me to have it up and running in less than an hour.

        http://www.ubaight.com/templates/ubaight/xmail/xmailhandbook.html

        Stuart

      • bgiles@coyotesong.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 10:58 AM
          I believe you want to set the 'relayhost' parameter in
          /etc/postfix/main.cf. I don't know what you need to do regarding
          providing authentication to that server.

          Addressing another comment, an increasing number of sites blindly reject
          all email originating at consumer IP addresses. It's harsh, but for every
          message from a technically competent user with his own domain there's
          easily 1000+ from hijacked PCs. (This is why sysadmins are not entirely
          joking when they argue for the death penalty for spammers.)

          Worse, some ISPs have started filtering outbound port 25 traffic. Same
          argument -- they're cutting down on complaints (and bandwidth) by blocking
          traffic that's 99.9+% illegitimate. Businesses should always block
          outbound port 25 traffic from all but their authorized mail servers,
          although few actually do.

          You can forward mail through your ISP, but spam strikes again. Some ISPs
          have started rewriting headers to show the 'correct' sender. E.g., while
          you wanted to send mail from "bsmith@..." they can't distinguish
          that from "customer.service@..." so they rewrite all headers as
          "hot.mama@...".

          My approach has been running my own virtual hosted server at tummy.com.
          It's only $25/month and gets me around all of these hassles. It may not
          be cost-effective for you -- I need to eat my own dog food if I claim to
          be a competent Linux sysadmin.

          Bear