unslug, usb key, NTFS drive

  • cedricduchesne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006

      I want to install the unslug distro to get more from my nslu2 but i`ve
      some concerns regarding that.

      I`ve today a drive formatted by NSLU so that i can use shares, groups
      and users.

      If i move to unslug, i would like to use an usb key for the unslug
      repository.... so connected on disk2. I would like also to keep the
      ability to use an usb hub. The conclusion is: i cannot use a
      nslu-formatted drive on disk1...so the alternative is an NTFS drive.

      question: 1) Any performances degradation if i move to NTFS, 2) how
      do i keep the share folder, group and user permission feature with ntfs ?

      kind regards
      Cedric
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
        1) Yes, NTFS is slower than the native filesystem, and it's been proven by
        folks here that it will crash with large file transfers. Avoid NTFS.
        2) You cannot keep permissions with NTFS; there is no general mapping
        mechanism from the NSLU2's native permissions to NTFS permissions.
        Basically, one ID is mapped, and that one is determined by the Linksys code;
        that's all you get.

        Why not unsling to the drive? That way you preserve your data, get all the
        benefits of Unslung, get better performance than the typical USB key can
        offer, and you leave USB port 1 completely open for hubs or other devices.
        Besides, if you decide not to stay with Unslung, you can reflash the
        firmware with the Linksys stuff, and the unslung drive is perfectly
        usable -- the only difference is that it will have some extra stuff in the
        "admin 1" share.

        Mike (mwester)

        I want to install the unslug distro to get more from my nslu2 but i`ve
        some concerns regarding that.

        I`ve today a drive formatted by NSLU so that i can use shares, groups
        and users.

        If i move to unslug, i would like to use an usb key for the unslug
        repository.... so connected on disk2. I would like also to keep the
        ability to use an usb hub. The conclusion is: i cannot use a
        nslu-formatted drive on disk1...so the alternative is an NTFS drive.

        question: 1) Any performances degradation if i move to NTFS, 2) how
        do i keep the share folder, group and user permission feature with ntfs ?

        kind regards
        Cedric
      • Alex Mayorga Adame
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
          Looks like I'm in a situation similar to Cedric here.

          I'm looking forward to unsling my NSLU2, but I already have my WD
          myBook (NTFS formatted) almost full of random stuff, that won't fit
          anywhere else here. On to my questions/concerns:

          - Can I Unsling to and already formatted NTFS drive and keep my data
          safely??
          - Is it a good idea to use an USB flash key for unslinging?
          - How big it should be it if I plan to use the NSLU2 as the home mail,
          blog, web server??
          - Would you recommend any particular model/make for the USB flash drive??
          - What would be my best bet on an "al cheapo" USB memory key?
          - Finally and most important, what would be your approach in this
          situation?

          Thanks in advance to whomever answers my questions.
          Best regards,
          Alex

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > 1) Yes, NTFS is slower than the native filesystem, and it's been
          proven by
          > folks here that it will crash with large file transfers. Avoid NTFS.
          > 2) You cannot keep permissions with NTFS; there is no general mapping
          > mechanism from the NSLU2's native permissions to NTFS permissions.
          > Basically, one ID is mapped, and that one is determined by the
          Linksys code;
          > that's all you get.
          >
          > Why not unsling to the drive? That way you preserve your data, get
          all the
          > benefits of Unslung, get better performance than the typical USB key can
          > offer, and you leave USB port 1 completely open for hubs or other
          devices.
          > Besides, if you decide not to stay with Unslung, you can reflash the
          > firmware with the Linksys stuff, and the unslung drive is perfectly
          > usable -- the only difference is that it will have some extra stuff
          in the
          > "admin 1" share.
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

        • mujjauk
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
            Not entirely correct. See my earlier post. I've unslung to a USB key
            in port 1 and have 4 NTFS disks on a hub on port 1.

            I've edited samba config file to create my own shares mapped to
            directories spread across all 4 NTFS disks.

            The linksys webgui won't let you create shares or set permissions on
            NTFS disk. But you can easily do this by editing smb.conf.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Mayorga Adame"
              <alex_mayorga@...> wrote:
              > I'm looking forward to unsling my NSLU2, but I already have my WD
              > myBook (NTFS formatted) almost full of random stuff, that won't fit
              > anywhere else here. On to my questions/concerns:
              >
              > - Can I Unsling to and already formatted NTFS drive and keep my
              data safely??

              You cannot unsling to an NTFS drive. The drive has to formatted with
              the EXT3 filesystem. If you want to unsling to your mybook you'll
              have to format it.

              > - Is it a good idea to use an USB flash key for unslinging?

              I've unslung to a USB key attached to port 2. Only reason I've done
              this is so I can turn off or disconnect my NTFS disks in port 2
              whenever I want and still have the slug up and running for other
              tasks.

              > - How big it should be it if I plan to use the NSLU2 as the home
              mail, blog, web server??

              They aren't too expensive now so i bought a 2GB drive. Was better
              value for money compared to the 1GB stick. I could have got away
              with a 128MB stick though as I haven't really installed anything on
              it. Just TwonkyMedia.

              > - Would you recommend any particular model/make for the USB flash
              drive?

              Anyone will do.

              > - Finally and most important, what would be your approach in this
              > situation?

              Keep the mybook as NTFS, unsling to a USB key on port 2. You can
              attach the mybook to you PC/Laptop for large file transfers as the
              Slug is too slow over the LAN. It good enough for streaming movies
              and copying across the odd file but if you have 10+ GB to copy its
              best to attach teh disk directly to you PC.

              > Thanks in advance to whomever answers my questions.
              > Best regards,
              > Alex

            • Marcel Nijenhof
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
                On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 18:41 +0000, mujjauk wrote:

                > 2) You cannot keep permissions with NTFS; there is no general
                > > mapping mechanism from the NSLU2's native permissions to NTFS
                > > permissions
                >
                > Not entirely correct. See my earlier post. I've unslung to a USB key
                > in port 1 and have 4 NTFS disks on a hub on port 1.
                >
                > I've edited samba config file to create my own shares mapped to
                > directories spread across all 4 NTFS disks.
                >
                > The linksys webgui won't let you create shares or set permissions on
                > NTFS disk. But you can easily do this by editing smb.conf.

                This really a matter of perspective.

                It is imposable to store posix permissions on a ntfs disk.

                You can create shares on samba level which have access rights
                the way you want them. But this wont change the fact that it
                is impossible to store the right posix permisions to that file.
                It only looks good through the smb share.

                The biggest problem is that i don't believe that unslung 6.8
                behaves stable with ntfs disks. I have tested with ntfs and found
                that the slug will crash under heavy io.

                Besides that the only advantage of ntfs is that it's easy to
                use the same disk on windows. If you use that disk almost exclusive
                for the slug i wouldn't recomend ntfs.

                --
                Marceln