Re: gigabit with the nslu2? and hub question

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2006
      > It's probably not worth the cost to put a gigabit usb adaptor on the NSLU2
      -
      > but do search the archives for this and the nslu2-linux groups; this has
      > been discussed before.

      I'll do a search on the group - but it seems like the linksys USB1000 isn't
      very expensive (40$?)
      and if they make a linux driver.. then all the better.
      But does the usb 2 bottleneck a gigabit connection?

      Jeremy R. Bennett
      Oak Knoll Productions
      Independent extreme metal record label
      "deep roots in extreme metal"
      HYPERLINK "http://www.oak-knoll.com/"www.oak-knoll.com
      aim: jrb2971

    • Urban Cubbage
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2006
        Yes it will be slower the Giga but still over 4 times faster then 100 is. I
        know, I have done the same at home, so now the slowest part is my USB 2.0.

        Thank You

        Urban

        > It's probably not worth the cost to put a gigabit usb adaptor on the NSLU2
        -
        > but do search the archives for this and the nslu2-linux groups; this has
        > been discussed before.

        I'll do a search on the group - but it seems like the linksys USB1000 isn't
        very expensive (40$?)
        and if they make a linux driver.. then all the better.
        But does the usb 2 bottleneck a gigabit connection?

        Jeremy R. Bennett
        Oak Knoll Productions
        Independent extreme metal record label
        "deep roots in extreme metal"
        HYPERLINK "http://www.oak-knoll.com/"www.oak-knoll.com
        aim: jrb2971

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • manutremo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2006
          I think that what will be the bottlenek will be the processor. CPU
          power is quite high for communicating at gigabyte speed.

          I have installed a gigabyte NIC in an old laptop with a i386 266 MHz,
          and it was only capable of giving up to 5-6 Mb/s, so not much more
          than the NSLU2.