Re: NSLU2 stopped showing up under Network on a Mac laptop

  • Kalle Grabowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Sabrina Vernet"
      <christie_d@s...> wrote:

      > The NSLU2 stops showing up under the Network as seen from
      > a Mac laptop. It used to work fine (minus a quirky reliance on an
      > XP system). This NSLU2 is running the original firmware with a
      > single 120MB HDD. Several odd behaviors have been noticed.
      >
      > First thing was whenever the XP system (the only Windows
      > system on the network) was either shutdown or had it's network
      > communication turned off, then NSLU2 wouldn't show up for the
      > Powerbook G3 with OSX 10.3.6. As soon as it was turned back
      > on, the NSLU2 would reappear and work fine.
      >
      > Second thing is that now it doesn't matter what the status of the
      > XP system is, the NSLU2 no longer appears to the powerbook...!
      >
      > The NSLU2 seemed to be always mounted on the XP system,
      > in other words, ever since the first logon, nothing has to be done
      > to access the file shares.

      What happens if you try to send a ping to the NSLU2s IP-adress? Do
      you get any response? I am not that familiar with Macs but normally
      you should be able to mount the nslu2 by using the IP-adress, regard
      less whether it shows up in the network neighbourhood or not...

      By the way, my nslu2 never shows up in the network neighborhood,
      still it works fine with no problems...
    • Sabrina Vernet
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Kalle Grabowski" <marcusfliss@w...> wrote:
        > What happens if you try to send a ping to the NSLU2s IP-adress? Do
        > you get any response? I am not that familiar with Macs but normally
        > you should be able to mount the nslu2 by using the IP-adress, regard
        > less whether it shows up in the network neighbourhood or not...
        >
        > By the way, my nslu2 never shows up in the network neighborhood,
        > still it works fine with no problems...

        Yes it works fine in other ways and shows up under winXP (SP2) in the network
        neighborhood. It was showing up on the Mac laptop under the quirky conditions described
        then stopped.

        Pinging it works fine and the web interface works fine (except no uploads to it, of course).
        Based on your comments I did a quick search in my menu bar and found a menu option
        under "Go" called "Connect to Server" ... bingo! Using "smb://192.168.1.77" for the server
        address works perfectly.

        This solves my immediate need. So this probably means it's some peculiarity of the Mac
        OS X Samba interface. Thanks so much for the tip.