Re: Who's got TwonkyVision+NSLU2+Media Player working...

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
      mshilly wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ray <ryjewski@y...> wrote:
      >
      >>I've got a NSLU2 running unslung 2.12-beta. On my slug I'm running
      >>Twonky 2.4, which is serving a D-Link DSM-320 running firmware
      >
      > 1.04. I
      >
      >>have a wireless "g" network. My setup is working "acceptably"
      >
      > well.
      >
      >>The biggest problem I'm having is keeping the wireless connection
      >>stable. My office and family room are at the exact opposite ends
      >
      > of a
      >
      >>2800 sq. foot home and the wireless signal sucks in my family
      >
      > room. As
      >
      >>for the media server/player. It works great. I use my personal pc
      >
      > with
      >
      >>a tuner card upstairs as my DVR, screw you TIVO. I'm also serving
      >
      > up my
      >
      >>400 cd collection, and some of my favorite internet radio stations
      >
      > like
      >
      >>www.radioparadise.com without any problem. I think the DSM-320 is
      >
      > still
      >
      >>a couple of firmware releases from being ready for prime time but I
      >>think it will be greatly stabilized in the next 3-6 mos.
      >

      > Ray, Thank you very much. Exactly the type of info I am looking for.
      >
      > How do VOBs play on the DSM-320?

      The moron who wrote the ID Tag parser for D-Link should be fired. It
      won't parse the id tags correctly on .ogg files. So none of the cool
      features, like play genre "blah", work. That's one of those things that
      I hope get's cleared up in a few more releases of the firmware.
    • Marc D. Field
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:01:11 +0000, mshilly wrote:

        > Is there anyone out there using the NSLU2 with the TwonkyVision Server to
        > serve up media to a remote hardware media player?
        >
        > What player do you have?
        > Wired or wireless network?
        > Are you serving more than just MP3s? Video?

        I briefly used the Twonky server with a Netgear MP101. The MP101 kept
        dropping its wireless connection, so I returned it. However, for the 1-2
        weeks I used it, I did side-by-side testing of Twonky on the NSLU2 v.
        Netgear's server software on a Windows box with a nice processor and
        plenty of memory. Twonky's software was very stable, and the NSLU2
        performed just as well as the PC in terms of feeding data to the MP101
        (whether feeding data to the MP101's LCD menu (such as lists of songs) or
        streaming audio).

        Marc