SlugOS/LE (DebianSlug) and smbfs - no support in kernel?

  • Rob Lockhart
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2006
      Hello,

      I understand that it must be the case that the Linksys firmware must
      use smbfs to mount to remote other drives when copying from remote to
      NSLU2. I recently installed DebianSlug (SlugOS/LE) slugos-lag (as Rod
      recently explained). All the diversions, need to manually "fix"
      (hack) lots of stuff with the unslug (relating to "ls", "fixing"
      paths, etc. etc.) made me try DebianSlug (3.1). Ah, I felt at home;
      "color ls" and native shell support for >2GB files (broken with
      openslug unless you "fix" it - cannot "rm" or "ls" files >2GB). Very
      smooth install (per great notes for Bootstrap - but the lang stuff
      still needs work from someone that knows more about Debian
      distribution functionality).

      Assumptions:
      1) DebianSlug has smbfs built-in (compiled) to kernel
      2) I cannot "apt-get install smb*" to show all smb* stuff - because
      it's either internal or a kernel module.
      2) I know I can use NFS for linux-to-linux but I prefer to maintain
      the functionality of the linksys firmware
      3) Kernel rebuild, cross-platform (much faster) might be at the limit
      of my know-how
      4) rsync over ssh - WAY too slow (~400-500 kB/sec).

      Now, for assumptions for below command execution:
      1) Windows PC with files to be backed up to DebianSlug = "WinPC" under
      directory name "share"
      2) local directory (on SLUG) = /mnt/share with workgroup ROB
      3) Remote PC (WinPC) l/p = rob/test4me
      Typing:

      mount -t smbfs -o username=rob,password=test4me,workgroup=ROB
      //WinPC/share /mnt/share

      shows no support for smbfs in kernel. I also tried smbmount - but that
      seems to be some kind of alias for "mount -t smbfs". I also got
      "smbmnt" parameters figured out (VERY obtuse!!), but that too said no
      support for smbfs in the kernel.

      smbmnt /mnt/share -s /WinPC/share -o username=rob,password=test4me
      ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel

      I have samba working, but as a server (and not a client). I can
      manually mount the share, on a PC, then copy the files, etc. but I'd
      rather have some kind of cronjob that would smbmount to the PC, backup
      the files, then umount, automatically and periodically.

      Can anyone give me a clue? I'm hoping I don't have to recompile the
      kernel. I did a search of both the Wiki and the nslu2-general group.

      TIA,
      -Rob
    • jwd_45244
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
        apt-get install smbfs smbclient

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I understand that it must be the case that the Linksys firmware must
        > use smbfs to mount to remote other drives when copying from remote to
        > NSLU2. I recently installed DebianSlug (SlugOS/LE) slugos-lag (as Rod
        > recently explained). All the diversions, need to manually "fix"
        > (hack) lots of stuff with the unslug (relating to "ls", "fixing"
        > paths, etc. etc.) made me try DebianSlug (3.1). Ah, I felt at home;
        > "color ls" and native shell support for >2GB files (broken with
        > openslug unless you "fix" it - cannot "rm" or "ls" files >2GB). Very
        > smooth install (per great notes for Bootstrap - but the lang stuff
        > still needs work from someone that knows more about Debian
        > distribution functionality).
        >
        > Assumptions:
        > 1) DebianSlug has smbfs built-in (compiled) to kernel
        > 2) I cannot "apt-get install smb*" to show all smb* stuff - because
        > it's either internal or a kernel module.
        > 2) I know I can use NFS for linux-to-linux but I prefer to maintain
        > the functionality of the linksys firmware
        > 3) Kernel rebuild, cross-platform (much faster) might be at the limit
        > of my know-how
        > 4) rsync over ssh - WAY too slow (~400-500 kB/sec).
        >
        > Now, for assumptions for below command execution:
        > 1) Windows PC with files to be backed up to DebianSlug = "WinPC" under
        > directory name "share"
        > 2) local directory (on SLUG) = /mnt/share with workgroup ROB
        > 3) Remote PC (WinPC) l/p = rob/test4me
        > Typing:
        >
        > mount -t smbfs -o username=rob,password=test4me,workgroup=ROB
        > //WinPC/share /mnt/share
        >
        > shows no support for smbfs in kernel. I also tried smbmount - but that
        > seems to be some kind of alias for "mount -t smbfs". I also got
        > "smbmnt" parameters figured out (VERY obtuse!!), but that too said no
        > support for smbfs in the kernel.
        >
        > smbmnt /mnt/share -s /WinPC/share -o username=rob,password=test4me
        > ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
        >
        > I have samba working, but as a server (and not a client). I can
        > manually mount the share, on a PC, then copy the files, etc. but I'd
        > rather have some kind of cronjob that would smbmount to the PC, backup
        > the files, then umount, automatically and periodically.
        >
        > Can anyone give me a clue? I'm hoping I don't have to recompile the
        > kernel. I did a search of both the Wiki and the nslu2-general group.
        >
        > TIA,
        > -Rob

      • Rob Lockhart
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
          (sorry for top-post, just trying to follow reply)
          Thanks for the repl, jwd_45244. Believe it or not, I have already done
          the "apt-get install smbfs smbclient" as specified below.

          root@Debslug:/# apt-get install smbclient smbfs
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree... Done
          smbclient is already the newest version.
          smbfs is already the newest version.
          2 not fully installed or removed.
          Need to get 0B of archives.
          After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
          Setting up nfs-kernel-server (1.0.8-8) ...
          Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
          Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdinvoke-rc.d: initscript
          nfs-kernel-server, action "start" failed.
          dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
          Setting up update-modules (1.0-r4) ...
          dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
          format error
          dpkg: error processing update-modules (--configure):
          subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
          nfs-kernel-server
          update-modules

          I even tried apt-get clean (output not shown); apt-get update; apt-get
          upgrade
          root@Debslug:/# apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
          Get:1 http://security.debian.org sarge/updates Release.gpg [189B]
          Get:2 http://security.debian.org sarge/updates Release [20.0kB]
          Ign http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
          Get:3 http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages [227kB]
          Get:4 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable Release.gpg [189B]
          Get:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable Release [38.3kB]
          Get:6 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages/DiffIndex [12.6kB]
          Get:7 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/non-free Packages/DiffIndex [12.5kB]
          Get:8 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/contrib Packages/DiffIndex [12.5kB]
          Get:9 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [42.6kB]
          Get:10 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [844B]
          Get:11 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [42.6kB]
          Get:12 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [29B]
          Get:13 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [844B]
          Get:14 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [42.6kB]
          Get:15 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [29B]
          Get:16 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [844B]
          Get:17 2006-06-15-1346.19.pdiff [29B]
          Fetched 366kB in 27s (13.2kB/s)
          Reading package lists... Done
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree... Done
          2 not fully installed or removed.
          Need to get 0B of archives.
          After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
          Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
          Setting up nfs-kernel-server (1.0.8-8) ...
          Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
          Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdinvoke-rc.d: initscript
          nfs-kernel-server, action "start" failed.
          dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
          Setting up update-modules (1.0-r4) ...
          dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
          format error
          dpkg: error processing update-modules (--configure):
          subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
          nfs-kernel-server
          update-modules

          Not sure what the problem could be - other than some weirdness from
          something wiht nfs-kernel-server that is hosing up the samba client install.
          I tried to apt-get remove the offending packages (update-modules and
          nfs-kernel-server), then "apt-get install nfs-kernel-server" but there
          were errors with the install:
          dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
          nfs-kernel-server

          When I have time next week, I'll try to re-debianslug this NSLU2 from
          scratch and try this whole process again. I suspect that
          nfs-kernel-server is somehow messing up the smbclient (??), as
          /var/log/syslog keeps saying: "nfsd[2526]: nfssvc: No such device"
          even though the nfs module is loaded and running via lsmod. I tried
          using these instructions previously:

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/SetupNFSServer

          Regards,
          -Rob

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
            I can't help as I am using sid and etch as my respositories. I don't
            use sarge at all. Try 'apt-get install smbfs/unstable
            smbclient/unstable' (for sid or /testing if you have the testing
            respositories). Hope you find the solution.

            -- Jim D.
          • Patrick Schneider
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
              Hi Rob,

              Rob Lockhart schrieb:

              > Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
              > Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdinvoke-rc.d: initscript
              > nfs-kernel-server, action "start" failed.
              > dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
              > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
              > Setting up update-modules (1.0-r4) ...
              > dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
              > format error
              > dpkg: error processing update-modules (--configure):
              > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
              > nfs-kernel-server
              > update-modules

              Hmm... are you sure you loaded these modules?
              * kernel-module-nfsd
              * kernel-module-sunrpc
              * kernel-module-lockd
              * kernel-module-exportfs

              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/SetupNFSServer
              Okay, guilty... I wrote the HowTo.
              Excerpt of lsmod on my NSLU2:

              nfsd 186128 13
              exportfs 2752 1 nfsd
              lockd 45812 2 nfsd
              sunrpc 104576 8 nfsd,lockd

              Maybe you haven't loaded/installed all of these modules.
              Can you post the output of "lsmod"?

              Regards,
              Patrick

            • jwd_45244
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
                Rob:

                I had a senior moment you need: kernel-module-smbfs from the feed:
                http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/3.10-beta/

                -- Jim
              • Rob Lockhart
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2006
                  Hi, Patrick. Thanks for your reply. Apologies for the tardy reply; I
                  was out of town and yada yada weeks later I was able to further investigate.

                  On 6/16/2006 9:53 AM EST, Patrick Schneider wrote:
                  > Hi Rob,
                  >
                  > Rob Lockhart schrieb:
                  >

                  >> Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
                  >> Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdinvoke-rc.d: initscript
                  >> nfs-kernel-server, action "start" failed.
                  >> dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
                  >> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
                  >> Setting up update-modules (1.0-r4) ...
                  >> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
                  >> format error
                  >> dpkg: error processing update-modules (--configure):
                  >> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
                  >> Errors were encountered while processing:
                  >> nfs-kernel-server
                  >> update-modules
                  >> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                  >>

                  > Hmm... are you sure you loaded these modules?
                  > * kernel-module-nfsd
                  > * kernel-module-sunrpc
                  > * kernel-module-lockd
                  > * kernel-module-exportfs
                  >
                  >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/SetupNFSServer
                  >>
                  > Okay, guilty... I wrote the HowTo.
                  > Excerpt of lsmod on my NSLU2:
                  >
                  > nfsd 186128 13
                  > exportfs 2752 1 nfsd
                  > lockd 45812 2 nfsd
                  > sunrpc 104576 8 nfsd,lockd
                  >
                  > Maybe you haven't loaded/installed all of these modules.
                  > Can you post the output of "lsmod"?

                  lsmod shows all but exportfs.

                  Debslug:/root# lsmod
                  Module Size Used by
                  nfs 187316 1
                  lockd 51412 2 nfs
                  sunrpc 119424 3 nfs,lockd
                  ixp400_eth 17980 0
                  ixp400 946852 1 ixp400_eth
                  ext3 104232 4
                  jbd 46612 1 ext3
                  mbcache 5540 1 ext3
                  Debslug:/root# modprobe exportfs
                  FATAL: Module exportfs not found.

                  Debslug:/root# apt-get install kernel-module-exportfs
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree... Done
                  E: Couldn't find package kernel-module-exportfs

                  Indeed, looking over the instructions again, perhaps it was a problem in
                  using ipkg. Would you mind if I edited your Wiki instruction page to
                  more accurately specify some parameters? Specifically, it seems a pain
                  to use wget because it requires the exact path of the file (for HTTP;
                  FTP doesn't) and it would really be a pain to have explicit filenames in
                  the Wiki (i.e.,
                  "http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/unstable/kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.17-r2.1_ixp4xxle.ipk
                  ).

                  Looks like I got "kernel-module-exportfs" to work via your page, but
                  dpkg said that I had to install the kernel-image-2.6.16. I went ahead
                  and got that (note: from "stable" not "unstable" as "uname -a" shows I'm
                  using 2.6.16 not .17). So I got the exportfs from here:
                  http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
                  and I also got kernel-image from here:
                  http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-image-2.6.16_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk

                  depmod -a
                  modprobe exportfs
                  lsmod -> now shows exportfs

                  so one mystery solved... :-)

                  At this point, I'd rather just reinstall DebianSlug than debug other
                  problems (i.e., why apt-get won't get the stuff from the correct
                  repository). That way, at least it'll be able to help more people
                  (Wiki-wise) than just my specific issues.

                  Thanks for your help!
                  -Rob
                • Rob Lockhart
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 27, 2006
                    On 6/16/2006 6:42 PM EST, jwd_45244 wrote:
                    > Rob:
                    >
                    > I had a senior moment you need: kernel-module-smbfs from the feed:
                    > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/3.10-beta/
                    Jim,
                    Thanks for your pointer. Indeed, you were on the right track, but I
                    couldn't use that kernel. "uname -a" shows 2.6.16 so I have to use this
                    feed:
                    http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/

                    Now for the gory details:
                    wget
                    http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-module-smbfs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
                    dpkg --force-architecture -i kernel-module-smbfs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
                    depmod -a
                    modprobe smbfs
                    WARNING: Error inserting nls_base
                    (/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/nls/nls_base.ko): Invalid module format
                    FATAL: Error inserting smbfs
                    (/lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/fs/smbfs/smbfs.ko): Unknown symbol in
                    module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
                    Now, back again to the ipkg repo, indeed, there is an nls_base:
                    wget
                    http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-module-nls-base_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
                    dpkg --force-architecture -i kernel-module-nls-base_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk

                    the command again (l/p obviously changed):

                    mount -t smbfs -o username=rob,password=test4me,workgroup=ROB
                    //WinPC/share /mnt/share

                    Sweet, that works... WHEW...

                    Wonder if this is in the Wiki?? Surely it might be for the unslug but
                    prolly not for Debianslug. If not, I'll surely add this after I cleanly
                    reinstall DebianSlug (I fear there are too many leftovers from failed
                    tests).

                    -Rob
                  • Patrick Schneider
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
                      Hi Rob,

                      Rob Lockhart schrieb:

                      > Debslug:/root# apt-get install kernel-module-exportfs
                      > Reading package lists... Done
                      > Building dependency tree... Done
                      > E: Couldn't find package kernel-module-exportfs

                      This is not going to work (yet). Even if you are able to find the right
                      kernel module "exportfs" in the Debian repository, this kernel-module is
                      not compatible with the kernel used in DebianSlug. The NSLU2-Linux
                      developers are in the progress of pushing the nslu2-specific
                      kernel-patches towards the mainstream (vanilla) kernel so they can be
                      included in the Debian-Kernel. (But don't expect that to happen before
                      kernel 2.6.18/19)

                      > Indeed, looking over the instructions again, perhaps it was a problem in
                      > using ipkg. Would you mind if I edited your Wiki instruction page to
                      > more accurately specify some parameters? Specifically, it seems a pain
                      > to use wget because it requires the exact path of the file (for HTTP;
                      > FTP doesn't) and it would really be a pain to have explicit filenames in
                      > the Wiki (i.e.,
                      > "http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/unstable/kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.17-r2.1_ixp4xxle.ipk
                      > <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/unstable/kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.17-r2.1_ixp4xxle.ipk>
                      > ).
                      I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have static URLs in the Wiki
                      because they are supposed to changed if something get changed in the future.

                      > Looks like I got "kernel-module-exportfs" to work via your page, but
                      > dpkg said that I had to install the kernel-image-2.6.16. I went ahead
                      > and got that (note: from "stable" not "unstable" as "uname -a" shows I'm
                      > using 2.6.16 not .17). So I got the exportfs from here:
                      > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
                      > <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-module-exportfs_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk>
                      > and I also got kernel-image from here:
                      > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-image-2.6.16_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk
                      > <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/stable/kernel-image-2.6.16_2.6.16-r6.4_ixp4xxle.ipk>

                      You don't need really need the kernel-image. This is another side-effect
                      of not using the stock Debian-kernel but the DebianSlug kernel. The
                      kernel is installed but dpkg does not know that it is.

                      > At this point, I'd rather just reinstall DebianSlug than debug other
                      > problems (i.e., why apt-get won't get the stuff from the correct
                      > repository). That way, at least it'll be able to help more people
                      > (Wiki-wise) than just my specific issues.

                      I'm not sure if this helps, but you could try to *somehow* add the
                      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/* feeds to your
                      /etc/apt/sources.list (I don't know if this is going to work, but you
                      might give it a try)

                      Regards,

                      Patrick

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
                        [Firstly, why is discussion of custom nslu2-linux firmware happening on
                        the nslu2-general mailing list? The charter for the nslu2-general group
                        clearly states that discussion of custom firmware should happen on the
                        nslu2-linux mailing list. The nslu2-general mailing list is for
                        questions like "Where is the power button on this thing." or "How do I
                        create a share using the stock Linksys firmware.", not for questions
                        about running the Debian Linux distribution on the NSLU2.]

                        Patrick Schneider wrote:
                        > Rob Lockhart schrieb:
                        >> Debslug:/root# apt-get install kernel-module-exportfs
                        >
                        > This is not going to work (yet). Even if you are able to find the right
                        > kernel module "exportfs" in the Debian repository, this kernel-module is
                        > not compatible with the kernel used in DebianSlug. The NSLU2-Linux
                        > developers are in the progress of pushing the nslu2-specific
                        > kernel-patches towards the mainstream (vanilla) kernel so they can be
                        > included in the Debian-Kernel. (But don't expect that to happen before
                        > kernel 2.6.18/19)

                        Correct. You cannot use Debian kernel modules with a SlugOS/LE
                        (DebianSlug) kernel, nor can you use SlugOS/LE (DebianSlug) kernel
                        modules with a Debian kernel. You might just as well try and use
                        Windows 98 drivers on a Commodore 64.

                        >> At this point, I'd rather just reinstall DebianSlug than debug other
                        >> problems (i.e., why apt-get won't get the stuff from the correct
                        >> repository). That way, at least it'll be able to help more people
                        >> (Wiki-wise) than just my specific issues.

                        apt-get does get the stuff from the correct repository.

                        You simply cannot install kernel modules for SlugOS/LE (DebianSlug)
                        using apt-get. You need to reboot without the hard disk attached (so
                        you're running SlugOS/LE (DebianSlug) from the flash), then ipkg install
                        the appropriate kernel modules (from the SlugOS/LE feed), then copy
                        those kernel modules over to your hard disk.

                        > I'm not sure if this helps, but you could try to *somehow* add the
                        > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/*
                        > <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/*> feeds to your
                        > /etc/apt/sources.list (I don't know if this is going to work, but you
                        > might give it a try)

                        Do *not* add SlugOS feeds to /etc/apt/sources.list - that is analogous
                        to using downloads.amiga.com as your Windows update site.

                        -- Rod
                      • Rob Lockhart
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby wrote:

                          > [Firstly, why is discussion of custom nslu2-linux firmware
                          > happening on the nslu2-general mailing list? The charter for
                          > the nslu2-general group clearly states that discussion of
                          > custom firmware should happen on the nslu2-linux mailing list.
                          > The nslu2-general mailing list is for questions like "Where
                          > is the power button on this thing." or "How do I create a
                          > share using the stock Linksys firmware.", not for questions
                          > about running the Debian Linux distribution on the NSLU2.]

                          My apologies, Rod. I don't post as much as most others, and figured
                          it'd be better to have overly technical questions in the general list
                          than overly basic/dumb questions in the guru linux list. I overlooked
                          that the DebianSlug distribution is considered "custom firmware".
                          Since I didn't custom compile/build it, I figured it didn't belong in
                          the nslu2-linux group, and especially since it wasn't a question like,
                          "I get this bizarre kernel error message 0xdeadface when I compile
                          module 'dummy.o' and do 'depmod dummy' command".

                          > Patrick Schneider wrote:
                          >> Rob Lockhart wrote:
                          >>> Debslug:/root# apt-get install kernel-module-exportfs
                          >>> At this point, I'd rather just reinstall DebianSlug than
                          >>> debug other problems (i.e., why apt-get won't get the stuff
                          >>> from the correct repository). That way, at least it'll be
                          >>> able to help more people (Wiki-wise) than just my specific
                          >>> issues.
                          >
                          > apt-get does get the stuff from the correct repository.
                          >
                          > You simply cannot install kernel modules for SlugOS/LE
                          > (DebianSlug) using apt-get. You need to reboot without the
                          > hard disk attached (so you're running SlugOS/LE (DebianSlug)
                          > from the flash), then ipkg install the appropriate kernel
                          > modules (from the SlugOS/LE feed), then copy those kernel
                          > modules over to your hard disk.

                          I believe I bypassed that step by first getting the modules via wget,
                          then ipkg install the modules, and then modprobe them. It has worked
                          so far, but probably isn't the cleanest method. I don't expect it to
                          work w/o a hard drive attached. Indeed, your method would be the most
                          probable to succeed with or without disk attached.

                          >> I'm not sure if this helps, but you could try to *somehow*
                          >> add the http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/*
                          >> <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/*> feeds to
                          >> your /etc/apt/sources.list (I don't know if this is going
                          >> to work, but you might give it a try)
                          >
                          > Do *not* add SlugOS feeds to /etc/apt/sources.list - that
                          > is analogous to using downloads.amiga.com as your Windows
                          > update site.

                          That might cause some problems indeed!! :-)
                          Until it's officially supported via Debian, it's probably better to
                          manually do this for now.