Who's got TwonkyVision+NSLU2+Media Player working...

  • mshilly
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
      Is there anyone out there using the NSLU2 with the TwonkyVision
      Server to serve up media to a remote hardware media player?

      What player do you have?
      Wired or wireless network?
      Are you serving more than just MP3s? Video?

      I ask because I posted last week about my success with the
      Audio/Video performance of the NSLU2 providing 3 PCs (running windows
      and either WinDVD4 or PowerDVD and Windows Media Player) each with
      full DVD quality audio/video file and MP3 file playing
      simultaneously. I want to now have the NSLU2 serve up the same type
      of media to my entertainment center.

      I need to know what hardware media player will work best with the
      TwonkyVision server and which actually works at all while playing
      streamed video (.vob, .mv2, .mpg, etc.)

      From all the FUD on the web it looks like none of the media servers
      is perfect.

      I have already visited the TwonkyVision site and it is real hard to
      tell if anyone is having any success at all, especially with video.
    • the_dude13820
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
        Diddo that on TwonkyVision's site! I'm not at all sure what their
        product does exactly and I'll be damned if I could find out from their
        website!

        I'd also like to hear what other people's experience is with streaming
        and hardware...

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mshilly" <mshill@r...> wrote:

        > Is there anyone out there using the NSLU2 with the TwonkyVision
        > Server to serve up media to a remote hardware media player?
        >
        > What player do you have?
        > Wired or wireless network?
        > Are you serving more than just MP3s? Video?
        >
        > I ask because I posted last week about my success with the
        > Audio/Video performance of the NSLU2 providing 3 PCs (running windows
        > and either WinDVD4 or PowerDVD and Windows Media Player) each with
        > full DVD quality audio/video file and MP3 file playing
        > simultaneously. I want to now have the NSLU2 serve up the same type
        > of media to my entertainment center.
        >
        > I need to know what hardware media player will work best with the
        > TwonkyVision server and which actually works at all while playing
        > streamed video (.vob, .mv2, .mpg, etc.)
        >
        > From all the FUD on the web it looks like none of the media servers
        > is perfect.
        >
        > I have already visited the TwonkyVision site and it is real hard to
        > tell if anyone is having any success at all, especially with video.
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
          mshilly wrote:

          > Is there anyone out there using the NSLU2 with the TwonkyVision
          > Server to serve up media to a remote hardware media player?
          >
          > What player do you have?
          > Wired or wireless network?
          > Are you serving more than just MP3s? Video?
          >
          > I ask because I posted last week about my success with the
          > Audio/Video performance of the NSLU2 providing 3 PCs (running windows
          > and either WinDVD4 or PowerDVD and Windows Media Player) each with
          > full DVD quality audio/video file and MP3 file playing
          > simultaneously. I want to now have the NSLU2 serve up the same type
          > of media to my entertainment center.
          >
          > I need to know what hardware media player will work best with the
          > TwonkyVision server and which actually works at all while playing
          > streamed video (.vob, .mv2, .mpg, etc.)
          >
          > From all the FUD on the web it looks like none of the media servers
          > is perfect.
          >
          > I have already visited the TwonkyVision site and it is real hard to
          > tell if anyone is having any success at all, especially with video.

          I DO!

          I've got a NSLU2 running unslung 2.12-beta. On my slug I'm running
          Twonky 2.4, which is serving a D-Link DSM-320 running firmware 1.04. I
          have a wireless "g" network. My setup is working "acceptably" well.
          The biggest problem I'm having is keeping the wireless connection
          stable. My office and family room are at the exact opposite ends of a
          2800 sq. foot home and the wireless signal sucks in my family room. As
          for the media server/player. It works great. I use my personal pc with
          a tuner card upstairs as my DVR, screw you TIVO. I'm also serving up my
          400 cd collection, and some of my favorite internet radio stations like
          www.radioparadise.com without any problem. I think the DSM-320 is still
          a couple of firmware releases from being ready for prime time but I
          think it will be greatly stabilized in the next 3-6 mos.
        • mshilly
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ray <ryjewski@y...> wrote:

            > I've got a NSLU2 running unslung 2.12-beta. On my slug I'm running
            > Twonky 2.4, which is serving a D-Link DSM-320 running firmware
            1.04. I
            > have a wireless "g" network. My setup is working "acceptably"
            well.
            > The biggest problem I'm having is keeping the wireless connection
            > stable. My office and family room are at the exact opposite ends
            of a
            > 2800 sq. foot home and the wireless signal sucks in my family
            room. As
            > for the media server/player. It works great. I use my personal pc
            with
            > a tuner card upstairs as my DVR, screw you TIVO. I'm also serving
            up my
            > 400 cd collection, and some of my favorite internet radio stations
            like
            > www.radioparadise.com without any problem. I think the DSM-320 is
            still
            > a couple of firmware releases from being ready for prime time but I
            > think it will be greatly stabilized in the next 3-6 mos.

            Ray, Thank you very much. Exactly the type of info I am looking for.

            How do VOBs play on the DSM-320?
          • Bob
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mshilly" <mshill@r...> wrote:

              > Is there anyone out there using the NSLU2 with the TwonkyVision
              > Server to serve up media to a remote hardware media player?
              >
              > What player do you have?
              > Wired or wireless network?
              > Are you serving more than just MP3s? Video?
              >
              > I need to know what hardware media player will work best with the
              > TwonkyVision server and which actually works at all while playing
              > streamed video (.vob, .mv2, .mpg, etc.)
              >
              > From all the FUD on the web it looks like none of the media servers
              > is perfect.

              I'm using the TwonkyVision 2.4 media server on my MSLU2 serving a
              D-Link DSM-320. I have the DSM-320 wired. With this player it's hard
              to tell if the problems are the player software, the server software
              or most likey, both. The UPNP protocal may be part of the problem too.

              I have evertying set up to send MP3's, Pictures, and a couple of
              videos. The MP3's and Internet radio work fine. Dealing with long
              lists of music (several hundred artist) is slow, I suspect this is
              caused by a combination of the NSLU2 and the UPNP protocal. Pictures
              and slide shows work OK too. The videos I've tried worked fine. I
              have some really old short .mpg files and I played a couple of .vob
              files from a ripped DVD. Video wasn't a priority for me but lots of
              reports of problems with audio sync and such with other formats. I
              also didn't try and FF/RW on the video.

              The user interface on the DSM-320 seems clunky to me. It also locks up
              hard for no reason every now and then. I think this is the cheapest
              box that will do all three types of media and it's preformance
              reflects that.

              Bob
            • Ray
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
                mshilly wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ray <ryjewski@y...> wrote:
                >
                >>I've got a NSLU2 running unslung 2.12-beta. On my slug I'm running
                >>Twonky 2.4, which is serving a D-Link DSM-320 running firmware
                >
                > 1.04. I
                >
                >>have a wireless "g" network. My setup is working "acceptably"
                >
                > well.
                >
                >>The biggest problem I'm having is keeping the wireless connection
                >>stable. My office and family room are at the exact opposite ends
                >
                > of a
                >
                >>2800 sq. foot home and the wireless signal sucks in my family
                >
                > room. As
                >
                >>for the media server/player. It works great. I use my personal pc
                >
                > with
                >
                >>a tuner card upstairs as my DVR, screw you TIVO. I'm also serving
                >
                > up my
                >
                >>400 cd collection, and some of my favorite internet radio stations
                >
                > like
                >
                >>www.radioparadise.com without any problem. I think the DSM-320 is
                >
                > still
                >
                >>a couple of firmware releases from being ready for prime time but I
                >>think it will be greatly stabilized in the next 3-6 mos.
                >

                > Ray, Thank you very much. Exactly the type of info I am looking for.
                >
                > How do VOBs play on the DSM-320?

                The moron who wrote the ID Tag parser for D-Link should be fired. It
                won't parse the id tags correctly on .ogg files. So none of the cool
                features, like play genre "blah", work. That's one of those things that
                I hope get's cleared up in a few more releases of the firmware.
              • Marc D. Field
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
                  On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:01:11 +0000, mshilly wrote:

                  > Is there anyone out there using the NSLU2 with the TwonkyVision Server to
                  > serve up media to a remote hardware media player?
                  >
                  > What player do you have?
                  > Wired or wireless network?
                  > Are you serving more than just MP3s? Video?

                  I briefly used the Twonky server with a Netgear MP101. The MP101 kept
                  dropping its wireless connection, so I returned it. However, for the 1-2
                  weeks I used it, I did side-by-side testing of Twonky on the NSLU2 v.
                  Netgear's server software on a Windows box with a nice processor and
                  plenty of memory. Twonky's software was very stable, and the NSLU2
                  performed just as well as the PC in terms of feeding data to the MP101
                  (whether feeding data to the MP101's LCD menu (such as lists of songs) or
                  streaming audio).

                  Marc