NB: single drive, existing XP NTFS partition, possible to use with Unslug6.8 ?

  • oohay1_2005
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2006
      I have a drive formatted by XP NTFS.
      I want to load Unslug6.8 and just use the drive as it, is this
      possible? Or do I have to complete the "unslinging" steps after
      updating the firmware? thx.
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2006
        On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 21:10 +0000, oohay1_2005 wrote:
        > I have a drive formatted by XP NTFS.
        > I want to load Unslug6.8 and just use the drive as it, is this
        > possible?

        I made a small test with a flash disk on a Unslug 6.8 system
        without it's normal disk. In that case it will behave as a
        system which isn't unslinged.

        In that case i can see the flash as share so i think that
        it will work in some sense (i managed to write a file to
        the flash but it hang after less then 20 files).

        1) The ntfs drivers aren't very stable so you should expect
        a lot hangs.
        2) You probably can't swap to the ntfs drive so your memory
        is very limited. Which will result in more stability problems
        3) You can't install extra software so there is probably no
        advantage to install Unslung 6.8
        4) You can't store ownership our permissions on ntfs drives.

        The only advantage of ntfs is that you can use that disk native
        on windows as well. But there are other tools which will enable
        you to read ext3 on windows as well.

        > Or do I have to complete the "unslinging" steps after
        > updating the firmware? thx.

        If you want to use the slug in a normal stable way i would
        recommend to use a native formated disk and unsling it.

        --
        Marceln
      • oohay1_2005
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2006
          thanks Marceln for your input and recommendation, i really appreciate
          it; thanks to you i don't have to go through many troubles and
          headaches, finding and experiencing it on my own...

          the only reason i wanted to go that way was, to not lose the data on
          the existing drive and to be able to swap between Unslug6.8 and XP (so
          i can transfer data to the drive).

          I guess I could use 3rd party tool to access ext3 filesystem from XP
          as you suggest, but i've have bad experience tranfering data to
          external usb(2.0) HD (performance is slow compared to internal
          ATA100), so trying to avoid go thru NSLU2 box then external USB2 HDD
          for writing, since not knowing what the write/read performance is like...

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 21:10 +0000, oohay1_2005 wrote:
          > > I have a drive formatted by XP NTFS.
          > > I want to load Unslug6.8 and just use the drive as it, is this
          > > possible?
          >
          > I made a small test with a flash disk on a Unslug 6.8 system
          > without it's normal disk. In that case it will behave as a
          > system which isn't unslinged.
          >
          > In that case i can see the flash as share so i think that
          > it will work in some sense (i managed to write a file to
          > the flash but it hang after less then 20 files).
          >
          > 1) The ntfs drivers aren't very stable so you should expect
          > a lot hangs.
          > 2) You probably can't swap to the ntfs drive so your memory
          > is very limited. Which will result in more stability problems
          > 3) You can't install extra software so there is probably no
          > advantage to install Unslung 6.8
          > 4) You can't store ownership our permissions on ntfs drives.
          >
          > The only advantage of ntfs is that you can use that disk native
          > on windows as well. But there are other tools which will enable
          > you to read ext3 on windows as well.
          >
          > > Or do I have to complete the "unslinging" steps after
          > > updating the firmware? thx.
          >
          > If you want to use the slug in a normal stable way i would
          > recommend to use a native formated disk and unsling it.
          >
          > --
          > Marceln

        • Urban Cubbage
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
            If the USB drive is slower then your ATA100 then you are using USB 1.1. not
            USB 2.0. Even though you USB hd maybe USB 2.0 your USB connection on your
            computer is USB 1.1. I would recommend getting an addin card that supports
            USB 2.0, that external hard drive will really zing then. All of my external
            hd's are much faster then my internal ATA drives.

            Thank You

            Urban

            thanks Marceln for your input and recommendation, i really appreciate
            it; thanks to you i don't have to go through many troubles and
            headaches, finding and experiencing it on my own...

            the only reason i wanted to go that way was, to not lose the data on
            the existing drive and to be able to swap between Unslug6.8 and XP (so
            i can transfer data to the drive).

            I guess I could use 3rd party tool to access ext3 filesystem from XP
            as you suggest, but i've have bad experience tranfering data to
            external usb(2.0) HD (performance is slow compared to internal
            ATA100), so trying to avoid go thru NSLU2 box then external USB2 HDD
            for writing, since not knowing what the write/read performance is like...

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 21:10 +0000, oohay1_2005 wrote:
            > > I have a drive formatted by XP NTFS.
            > > I want to load Unslug6.8 and just use the drive as it, is this
            > > possible?
            >
            > I made a small test with a flash disk on a Unslug 6.8 system
            > without it's normal disk. In that case it will behave as a
            > system which isn't unslinged.
            >
            > In that case i can see the flash as share so i think that
            > it will work in some sense (i managed to write a file to
            > the flash but it hang after less then 20 files).
            >
            > 1) The ntfs drivers aren't very stable so you should expect
            > a lot hangs.
            > 2) You probably can't swap to the ntfs drive so your memory
            > is very limited. Which will result in more stability problems
            > 3) You can't install extra software so there is probably no
            > advantage to install Unslung 6.8
            > 4) You can't store ownership our permissions on ntfs drives.
            >
            > The only advantage of ntfs is that you can use that disk native
            > on windows as well. But there are other tools which will enable
            > you to read ext3 on windows as well.
            >
            > > Or do I have to complete the "unslinging" steps after
            > > updating the firmware? thx.
            >
            > If you want to use the slug in a normal stable way i would
            > recommend to use a native formated disk and unsling it.
            >
            > --
            > Marceln

            Yahoo! Groups Links