delete samba shares ADMIN 1, DISK 1, ADMIN 2, DISK 2

  • oliverschuster
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2004
      Is it possible to delete these shares
      or to make them invisible?

      Deleting DISK1 by editing the smb.conf file from the
      command line doesn't work. After Reboot of nslu
      the smb.conf is overwritten.

      In the Web-Interface it's not allowed to delete
      theses shares: Error: The share is reserved, cannot delete it.
    • Bob George
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2004
        oliverschuster wrote:

        >Is it possible to delete these shares
        >or to make them invisible?

        Yes.

        >Deleting DISK1 by editing the smb.conf file from the
        >command line doesn't work. After Reboot of nslu
        >the smb.conf is overwritten.

        Using unslung 2, I just set up a diversion script in /unslung/rc.samba
        per the README:

        #!/bin/sh
        rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf
        ln -s /opt/etc/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
        rm -f /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        ln -s /opt/etc/smbpasswd /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        return 1

        Then I copied /etc/samba/smb.conf and smbpasswd to /opt/etc and edited
        smb.conf to suit. I simply commented out the unwanted shares.

        It seems to be working fine, but to allow user level shares in common
        with my existing server (unslung is my backup), I had to create matching
        user entries in /etc/group, /etc/passwd and use smbpasswd. Those are
        likely to be over-written on upgrade, so I should probably have the
        appropriate entries added by my rc.samba diversion script.

        >In the Web-Interface it's not allowed to delete
        >theses shares: Error: The share is reserved, cannot delete it.

        Haven't tried that yet myself!

        - Bob
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2004
          > It seems to be working fine, but to allow user level shares in common
          > with my existing server (unslung is my backup), I had to create matching
          > user entries in /etc/group, /etc/passwd and use smbpasswd. Those are
          > likely to be over-written on upgrade, so I should probably have the
          > appropriate entries added by my rc.samba diversion script.

          Bob,

          In Unslung 2.x, you can use the "flashfs" script to save and restore
          changes to those files that are likely to be overwritten on upgrade
          (basically anything outside of /unslung or /opt).

          In Unslung 3.x, that script is now called "resling", cause we have a
          real JFFS2 flash filesystem in Unslung 3.x (which is now in alpha
          testing - only 10 more alpha testers before it goes beta with a binary
          download).

          -- Rod
        • Bob George
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2004
            Rod Whitby wrote:
            > [...] In Unslung 2.x, you can use the "flashfs" script to save and
            > restore changes to those files that are likely to be overwritten on
            > upgrade (basically anything outside of /unslung or /opt).

            Ah, excellent. I'll give that a shot.

            > In Unslung 3.x, that script is now called "resling", cause we have a
            > real JFFS2 flash filesystem in Unslung 3.x (which is now in alpha
            > testing - only 10 more alpha testers before it goes beta with a
            > binary download).

            Unfortunately, I hit the road for the week, so won't be able to try this
            out until I return.

            - Bob