Advice on disconnecting / logging out from shares on the NSLU2

  • pvtmandella
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2004
      Hello,
      I have a question about moving between shares on the NSLU2, it's a
      very basic question but some brief advice would still be appreciated :)

      On my NSLU2, I have set up 4 shares, \admin 1, \user1 (me), \user2 (my
      wife), and \public (renamed disk 1). There are 3 users on the system:
      admin, u1 and u2. The admin can see all shares. User1 can see his and
      the public share. User2 can see hers and the \public share. I set the
      username and password for the his and hers accounts to be the same as
      the local logins on the PCs we usually use, i.e. my desktop and her
      laptop. So when I log in to my PC I can browse \user1 and the \public
      network space without the need for a further login, ditto my wife from
      her laptop for \user2 and \public.

      That's all fine and dandy. But I'd also like to be able to administer
      all the shares from my PC if needs be. Thing is, if I connect to my
      wife's share using her login and password, I don't seem to be able to
      disconnect from it without logging out of my PC and logging back in.
      So for example i log into my wife's account but then when I try to log
      into the admin account I'm told sorry, one user can't be connected to
      more than 1 account at the same time (or something like that). If I
      log in as the sysadmin first then of course i can see all shares, but
      I would like to understand what's going here in a bit more depth.

      So, how can I disconnect from a share / login myself without logging
      out of the whole PC? Note - I don't mean "disconnect network drive", i
      haven't set any of these shares up as drives, they just exist under
      "My Network Places" as shares. I'm running Windows XP Home (SP2) if
      that makes any difference.

      Hope this makes sense. It's not a big problem now, but as the file
      system grows and the shares get more complex to administrate, I'd like
      to know that I can switch between them without being logged in with
      administrator privileges all the time.

      cheers for your time
      Mandella