Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Pleased with Audio/Video performance...

  • Will
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
      Are you sure the Gateway unit can stream? The product description on Gateway's site doesn't mention anything about it except that it has an IEEE1394 port. Are you talking about adding a firewire network adapter?
      welbo

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
        The GoVideo system looks good, but I won't touch 802.11b for two
        reasons: 1) Connect it to my 802.11g router and the wireless network
        goes down to 11Mbps. 2) If your signal strength is less than 100% you
        will get 5.5Mbps or less which is not sufficient for DVD quality
        video.

        If GoVideo ever support 802.11g I would probably jump on it.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Gutman" <mrgaryg@y...>
        wrote:

        > Checkout the GoVideo D2730, http://www.govideo.com/Index.asp?
        GV=D2730

        > or it's cousin
        >
        > Gateway connected dvd player.

        http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/Consumer+Electronics_38
        > 1930/Digital+TV_381941/DVD+Players_9000002/2521671_ProdDetail.
        >
        > Don't let the DVD part fool you. Both support wired and wireless
        > connectivity, and both are able to stream music (mp3, wmv , etc.),
        > video (including divx, xvid, and mpeg) from a designated server.
        > Infact you can use the software from TwonkyVision for NSLU, which
        > had been extensively tested on this forum, and use that as your
        > server.
        >
        > Regards,
        > mrgary
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mark5segal" <liuyafei@g...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mshilly" <mshill@r...>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have had my NSLU2 for a couple of months with a 160GB Seagate
        > drive
        > > > connected to it. I am running Unslung 1.11 and was initially
        > > > concerned about it's ability to stream audio and video over the
        > > > network.
        > > >
        > > > Tonight I had all three of my windows machines (2 XP, 1 2000)
        > playing
        > > > DVD audio/video and MP3's (yes, thats 3 DVD streams and 3 MP3
        > > > streams) all at the same time without skipping. One of them was
        > > > running across my 54G wireless to my notebook.
        > > >
        > > > I am now starting to look at hardware media players for my
        > > > entertainment system. There are several out for under $200, but
        > they
        > > > appear to be immature still. It would have to have 802.11G and
        > > > digital audio output, which are not standard on all of the
        > players.
        > > >
        > > > If we could get RAID0 running on these I would pop for another
        > NSLU2
        > > > and four 350GB disks so I could store more DVDs and have them
        > backed
        > > > up by the RAID.
        > >
        > > For hardware media player, how about XBox plus XBox Media Center
        > > (http://www.xboxmediacenter.de)? And yes, it supports digital
        > audio
        > > output ($20 Xbox HD pack). I don't know if it supports USB
        > wireless
        > > adaptor, but you can always get a LinkSys WRT54G ($60) and flush
        it
        > > with 3rd party firmware to convert it into a wireless bridge.
      • Gary Gutman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
          Oops I hadn't noticed that the link shows a different player.
          Gateway made 2 versions of this player ADC-220 and ADC-320. These
          guys can do all that, and supports 802.11G cards. Apparently Gateway
          discontinued these product.
          http://support.gateway.com/s/CsmrEltrncs/DVDPlayers/2520659/2520659nv
          .shtml

          You can still find them on ebay
          http://search.ebay.com/gateway-dvd-
          player_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenum
          Z1QQfromZR10QQsacategoryZQ2d1QQsbrsrtZlQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropert
          yZ1QQsotrtypeZ1QQsotrvalueZ1

          I use the GoVideo unit. Just got the nslu, and once I get some time
          to my self top unsling it, I'll buy the TwonkyVision software to
          make it all work. I had already tried the Twonky software on my
          RedHat distro with great success. Hope the nslu version works the
          same way.

          Regards,
          Gary

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <w.beever@a...> wrote:

          > Are you sure the Gateway unit can stream? The product description
          on Gateway's site doesn't mention anything about it except that it
          has an IEEE1394 port. Are you talking about adding a firewire
          network adapter?
          > welbo

        • Gary Gutman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
            Look at the Gateway units. Also, there is now some limited support
            for 802.11g. From what I understand, you can use some 16bit PC-Cards.

            I'm sure it wouldn't take you long to find out which cards are
            supported.

            Gary

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
              Just came accross one of these from Linksys WMCE54AG. Yo will need
              MS MCE for it to work.

              Gary