Drive configuration

  • boblobley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2006
      Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of alternative drive
      configurations on a standard nslu2 running the Linksys R63 firmware? I
      have 2x250GB drives connected, a Maxtor Onetouch formatted to NTFS and
      a new Seagate unit that is FAT formatted.

      I can read and write to both drives perfectly well when they are both
      connected to Port 1 on the slug via a USB2 hub, and also when the
      Maxtor is directly on Port 1 and the Seagate is on Port 2 without
      using the hub. The only difference I can see is that my XP box
      incorrectly reports the Seagate as NTSF formatted when it is connected
      via the hub but the FAT format is recognised when it is on Port 2. The
      nslu2 reports both disk formats correctly via the web interface.

      I wanted to try connecting both drives to Port 1 via the hub before
      converting the Seagate to NTSF in the interests of better file
      handling but am worried about the risk of failing to report the drives
      status accurately (or worse).

      Any advice greatly appreciated.

      boblobley