Hard Drives not installed + other problems

  • dryden_mj
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2004
      I am an (averagely technical) home user and bought the NSLU2 plus
      two maxtor 200GB external HDDs because it seemed to offer exactly
      what I needed. However, after experiencing a non-compatible IP
      address issue (why isn't the NSLU2 set to automatically acquire an
      IP address?), not being able to upgrade the firmware (out of
      memory), being variously told that one or either or both of the HDDs
      were not formatted (I know that this is not the case), I am now
      faced with the "HDDs not installed" message, and therefore have a
      unit which is as good as useless.

      I see that there is a workaround to the firmware issue, so thanks to
      you all for that. Would anyone like to reply to this message with
      the current state of knowledge on the "no HDD" problem, and with any
      advice? I don't know Linux or Telnet, but am willing to learn if
      necessary :-).

      I really want to like the NSLU2, but suspect that it is a great idea
      badly executed - at least for the average home user. It should be a
      blockbuster product for Linksys, but other, less-kind descriptions,
      keep coming to mind...
    • K. Carter Sr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2004
        general/message/406. This should hopefully solve your problem.

        K.C.
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dryden_mj" <mont.ube@j...>
        wrote:

        > I am an (averagely technical) home user and bought the NSLU2 plus
        > two maxtor 200GB external HDDs because it seemed to offer exactly
        > what I needed. However, after experiencing a non-compatible IP
        > address issue (why isn't the NSLU2 set to automatically acquire an
        > IP address?), not being able to upgrade the firmware (out of
        > memory), being variously told that one or either or both of the
        HDDs
        > were not formatted (I know that this is not the case), I am now
        > faced with the "HDDs not installed" message, and therefore have a
        > unit which is as good as useless.
        >
        > I see that there is a workaround to the firmware issue, so thanks
        > you all for that. Would anyone like to reply to this message with
        > the current state of knowledge on the "no HDD" problem, and with
        any
        > advice? I don't know Linux or Telnet, but am willing to learn if
        > necessary :-).
        >
        > I really want to like the NSLU2, but suspect that it is a great
        idea
        > badly executed - at least for the average home user. It should be
        > blockbuster product for Linksys, but other, less-kind
        descriptions,
        > keep coming to mind...
      • K. Carter Sr.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2004
          general/message/406. This should hopefully solve your problem.

          K.C.
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dryden_mj" <mont.ube@j...>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > I am an (averagely technical) home user and bought the NSLU2
          plus
          > > two maxtor 200GB external HDDs because it seemed to offer
          exactly
          > > what I needed. However, after experiencing a non-compatible IP
          > > address issue (why isn't the NSLU2 set to automatically acquire
          an
          > > IP address?), not being able to upgrade the firmware (out of
          > > memory), being variously told that one or either or both of the
          > HDDs
          > > were not formatted (I know that this is not the case), I am now
          > > faced with the "HDDs not installed" message, and therefore have
          > > unit which is as good as useless.
          > >
          > > I see that there is a workaround to the firmware issue, so
          thanks
          > > you all for that. Would anyone like to reply to this message
          with
          > > the current state of knowledge on the "no HDD" problem, and with
          > any
          > > advice? I don't know Linux or Telnet, but am willing to learn
          if
          > > necessary :-).
          > >
          > > I really want to like the NSLU2, but suspect that it is a great
          > idea
          > > badly executed - at least for the average home user. It should
          be
          > > blockbuster product for Linksys, but other, less-kind
          > descriptions,
          > > keep coming to mind...
        • gregoryadams_us
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
            I had that issue happen once when I moved my nslu2 around. My guess
            was that I bumped a cable or something. I rebooted the nslu2 and it
            worked fine.

            I actually prefer the assigned IP address instead of it grabbing a
            dhcp address. that way, i know exactly how to access it via tcpip.

            don't give up on it yet. mine has been operating as a very reliable
            file server 24/7 for a couple of months.