Re: [nslu2-general] Re: How to do incremental back up from disk 1 to disk 2 on the same NSLU2

  • Mr Doug -
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 8:23 PM
      I looked at rsnapshot but I think it is a level of complexity that is usually
      not needed. First of all it forces the use of ssh which is not a bad thing but
      probably unnecessary in a local environment firewalled from the internet. Rsync
      will do incremental syncronized backups at the intervals you specify. Once a
      day would probably be sufficient in most cases but even once an hour would be
      ok for incremental once a complete back (first time) is done.

      I have tried rsync and it works fine. It also allows backups from other local
      network drives or internet (assuming security) drives.

      Linux 'cp' with -axu works in a pinch but it does not sync. so after using it
      awhile you will find the destination drive getting fuller then the source. This
      might be a good thing if you accidentally delete a file on the source. This
      would be like running rsync without the delete option.
      There is a wiki on this -

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BackupYourLinuxBox

      that maybe should have some updated info but it is pretty good in describing.

      While backing up drive to drive on the NSLU2 is a common thing I think it is
      also often used as a standalone file backup system, backing up the various
      systems on your network.

      This is where it gets interesting because putting multiple EXT3 formated drives
      (NOT NSLU2 native formated I.E. not formated on the web page) on port 1 and
      using a backup tool like rsync would really make it a useful box.

      I will let you know how this works.

      Doug

      http://www.nabble.com/How-to-do-incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-t1533441.html#a4201422

      > > Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • manza7
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6 12:15 PM
        Hi h8dc,

        Thanks very much for the disk to disk copy explanation, I re-connected my
        second drive back to port 2, formatted it to EXT3FS and setup a disk to disk
        backup daily at 1am, immediately after setting it up, I did a "start backup
        now" as you suggested, NLSU2 did the fullbackup in 6 hours, after that,
        daily at 1am, it does "synchronized" back up as you stated, only takes 10
        min or so according to the log.

        One question:
        I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I load an
        old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has the disk 2
        in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the daily
        disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2 cannot be
        accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the Linksys
        firmware V2.3R63.

        How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When you said you
        check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?

        Thanks

        Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.
      • h8dc
        Message 3 of 12 , May 6 2:42 PM
          I think that's an intended feature, not a "problem". :-)

          My guess is Disk2 is deliberately hidden because the intent is you
          want to use it as a mirror of Disk1 and won't be using it for
          anything else. On the webpage where you enable the backup, it warns
          when the job is run "All existing data on Disk 2 will be
          destroyed!". If you put other data, shares, etc. on Disk2, they
          would be erased the next time the job is run. It's for DRIVE
          backups, not SHARE backups. Hence, they hide Disk2 to prevent you
          from using it for anything else.

          When I want to check Disk2, I just disable the drive-to-drive backup
          on the webpage. Then re-enable it when I'm done. [Can't remember if
          I have to restart the NSLU or not - has been quite a while!]

          Hope that helps,
          h8dc

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

          > One question:
          > I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I
          load an
          > old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has
          the disk 2
          > in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the
          daily
          > disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2
          cannot be
          > accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the
          Linksys
          > firmware V2.3R63.
          >
          > How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When
          you said you
          > check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?
          >
          > Thanks
          >

          > --
          incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-
          t1533441.html#a4263499

          Message 4 of 12 , May 7 7:24 AM

            Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty confident the
            backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

            I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if down the
            road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives into a Linux
            box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually remove
            the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead to the
            disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 7 2:53 PM
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty
              confident the
              > backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

              Quite welcome!

              > I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if
              down the
              > road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives
              into a Linux
              > box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually
              remove
              > the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead
              to the
              > disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

              I am unsure of that since I have never done so. My guess is that you
              could do it. The only concern I can think of is the partitioning of
              the drive. The NSLU2 probably put a /data, /conf and swap partition
              on the drive. If that's not a barrier moving it to another machine,
              should be okay.

              I'll defer that to a knowlegeable person. :-)