Re: How to do incremental back up from disk 1 to disk 2 on the same NSLU2

  • h8dc
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

      > . NSLU2 only provides a drive backup (disk 1 to disk 2) which is a
      full
      > backup with no incremental capability. My data is over 100G and I
      view doing
      > a full backup daily as unnecessary wear and tear on backup disk.
      Incremental
      > daily backup is less than 500 Meg.

      Depends. This has been my experience for the past year...

      I use the drive-to-drive backup and it works well. I don't have as
      much data as you, but a full drive-to-drive backup takes 2 hours here
      nonetheless. But I get incremental backups as well.

      Here's the secret - if you do a backup using the Linksys
      webpage "start backup now" button, it *WILL* do a full backup every
      time. However, if you SCHEDULE the drive-to-drive backup, it will do
      incremental backups after a full backup has been performed either with
      the "start backup now" button or if it does a full backup (if it needs
      to) when the scheduled time rolls around. Actually, I believe it's
      syncronized as opposed to incremental since files removed from disk1
      are removed also from disk2.

      Elaborating further... I have drive-to-drive backups enabled 1 day a
      week. My slug hasn't done a *full* backup in about 6 months. But the
      contents of both drives are identical (I check every now and
      then :) . If I ever want to do a full backup (for whatever reason), I
      go to the webpage and click the "start backup now" button, takes 2-3
      hours, then finishes. On the next scheduled backup time it does
      incremental backups from then onward.

      Caveats.. If you disable the drive-to-drive backups and/or change
      disk2 in any way, and then re-enable the drive-to-drive backups, the
      system will think disk2's a new drive and on the next scheduled backup
      time it *will* do a full backup. Disk2 should be transparent.

      If this is what you're aiming for, give it a try. Schedule a backup
      time in the webpage for some time in the future. Hit the "start
      backup now" button to get a full backup, let it finish, and see what
      happens when the SCHEDULED backup time arrives. Has worked flawlessly
      here for quite some time.

      p.s. Works with V2.3R29 and V2.3R63 linksys firmware. And a shame
      it's not documented.

      Hope this helps!
    • Mr Doug -
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2006
        I looked at rsnapshot but I think it is a level of complexity that is usually
        not needed. First of all it forces the use of ssh which is not a bad thing but
        probably unnecessary in a local environment firewalled from the internet. Rsync
        will do incremental syncronized backups at the intervals you specify. Once a
        day would probably be sufficient in most cases but even once an hour would be
        ok for incremental once a complete back (first time) is done.

        I have tried rsync and it works fine. It also allows backups from other local
        network drives or internet (assuming security) drives.

        Linux 'cp' with -axu works in a pinch but it does not sync. so after using it
        awhile you will find the destination drive getting fuller then the source. This
        might be a good thing if you accidentally delete a file on the source. This
        would be like running rsync without the delete option.
        There is a wiki on this -

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BackupYourLinuxBox

        that maybe should have some updated info but it is pretty good in describing.

        While backing up drive to drive on the NSLU2 is a common thing I think it is
        also often used as a standalone file backup system, backing up the various
        systems on your network.

        This is where it gets interesting because putting multiple EXT3 formated drives
        (NOT NSLU2 native formated I.E. not formated on the web page) on port 1 and
        using a backup tool like rsync would really make it a useful box.

        I will let you know how this works.

        Doug

        http://www.nabble.com/How-to-do-incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-t1533441.html#a4201422

        > > Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • manza7
        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2006
          Hi h8dc,

          Thanks very much for the disk to disk copy explanation, I re-connected my
          second drive back to port 2, formatted it to EXT3FS and setup a disk to disk
          backup daily at 1am, immediately after setting it up, I did a "start backup
          now" as you suggested, NLSU2 did the fullbackup in 6 hours, after that,
          daily at 1am, it does "synchronized" back up as you stated, only takes 10
          min or so according to the log.

          One question:
          I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I load an
          old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has the disk 2
          in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the daily
          disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2 cannot be
          accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the Linksys
          firmware V2.3R63.

          How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When you said you
          check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 12 , May 6, 2006
            I think that's an intended feature, not a "problem". :-)

            My guess is Disk2 is deliberately hidden because the intent is you
            want to use it as a mirror of Disk1 and won't be using it for
            anything else. On the webpage where you enable the backup, it warns
            when the job is run "All existing data on Disk 2 will be
            destroyed!". If you put other data, shares, etc. on Disk2, they
            would be erased the next time the job is run. It's for DRIVE
            backups, not SHARE backups. Hence, they hide Disk2 to prevent you
            from using it for anything else.

            When I want to check Disk2, I just disable the drive-to-drive backup
            on the webpage. Then re-enable it when I'm done. [Can't remember if
            I have to restart the NSLU or not - has been quite a while!]

            Hope that helps,
            h8dc

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

            > One question:
            > I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I
            load an
            > old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has
            the disk 2
            > in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the
            daily
            > disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2
            cannot be
            > accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the
            Linksys
            > firmware V2.3R63.
            >
            > How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When
            you said you
            > check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?
            >
            > Thanks
            >

            > --
            incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-
            t1533441.html#a4263499

            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2006

              Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty confident the
              backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

              I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if down the
              road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives into a Linux
              box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually remove
              the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead to the
              disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2006
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty
                confident the
                > backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

                Quite welcome!

                > I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if
                down the
                > road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives
                into a Linux
                > box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually
                remove
                > the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead
                to the
                > disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

                I am unsure of that since I have never done so. My guess is that you
                could do it. The only concern I can think of is the partitioning of
                the drive. The NSLU2 probably put a /data, /conf and swap partition
                on the drive. If that's not a barrier moving it to another machine,
                should be okay.

                I'll defer that to a knowlegeable person. :-)