Re: HowTo speed up my mediawiki

  • themoonseeker06
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2006
      Hi janne! I try.. I thought too that it's better but it's slow too!!!

      I ran Dokuwiki with Thttpd 2 light applications.. but it is slow!!

      i'm a little bit disappointed because I bought this slug to run a wiki but I can't it's too
      slow!!!

      If someone succefull to run a "fast" (better than wait 10 sec on loading a page) it could
      write an HowTo OptimiseAWiki!

      ;-)

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

      > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
      >
      > no need use a database...
      > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > > Thank you Laurant! I understand! When I try to access to the wiki
      > the
      > > > DISK2 Led flick a lot..
      > > > I think it swap
      > >
      > > Enter the console (telnet into the slug) and run "free". It gives
      > you
      > > something like:
      > >
      > > total used free shared buffers
      > cached
      > > Mem: 1034952 1013596 21356 0 46816
      > 880076
      > > -/+ buffers/cache: 86704 948248
      > > Swap: 0 X 0
      > >

      > > (Note: this is from a normal PC, not my slug). The important number
      > is
      > > Swap/used, marked with X here. Keep it as low as possible.
      > >
      > > You can disable swap with "swapoff". Use with care, the slug may
      > run out
      > > of memory and hang/crash. But it's OK for testing.
      > >
      > > > I know you can show all running process with : ps -aux
      > > >
      > > > but how can I manage them? To tell which process does run or not?!
      > >
      > > "ps aux" gives you something like this:
      > > ram@soak:~$ ps aux
      > > USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME
      > COMMAND
      > > root 1 0.0 0.0 1600 524 ? S 10:53 0:00
      > init [2]
      > > root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SN 10:53 0:00
      > > [ksoftirqd/0]
      > >
      > > The important colum is PID. You can stop each process with "kill
      > PID". DO
      > > NOT TOUCH: telnet*, bash*, busybox and anything having [ ] around.
      > After
      > > each reboot the processes will come back, so if you kill something
      > > important just reboot.
      > >
      > > I'm not so sure how to prevent stuff from booting under unslung.
      > The usual
      > > linux/unix-way is to remove the corresponding file
      > under /etc/init.d/.
      > > Search the wiki about diversion-scripts and sucklike.
      > >
      > > cu

    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2006
        maybe you can look here and find something..
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "themoonseeker06"
        <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

        > I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using
        Apache? What do you made to
        > run fastest your wiki?
        >
        > Have you an url?
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Nilsson" <rognilss@>
        wrote:

        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@>
        wrote:

        > > > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
        > > >
        > > > no need use a database...
        > > > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki
        > >
        > > I'm running DokuWiki on my Slug (OpenSlug 2.5, Lighttpd, php-
        fcgi) and
        > > it doesn't run too slow. Sure, it's not rendering pages with
        > > blistering speed like my workstation but it's a lot faster than I
        > > expected.
        > >
        > > There is also a theme available now that can give DokuWiki the
        look of
        > > MediaWiki for those that are interrested in that look:
        > > http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:monobook_for_dokuwiki
        > >
        > > /Roger

      • Roger Nilsson
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2006
          <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

          > I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using
          Apache? What do you made to
          > run fastest your wiki?

          As I wrote earlier i'm running Lighttpd, I tried thttpd but it sucks
          and apache is not for computers with limited resources. The Slug is
          running from a memorystick with the available ram split into 50% Ram
          and 50% Ramdisk (i.e. standard Openslug 'turnup memstick'). It is only
          acting as a webserver and I haven't done any special tweaking. But I
          can see that it could run slow on Unslung since lots of the precious
          memory are occupied by other resources.

          > Have you an url?

          I don't have any public pages in the wiki at the moment so I cannot
          share any url, sorry.

          /Roger
        • Roger Nilsson
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2006
            <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

            > If someone succefull to run a "fast" (better than wait 10 sec on
            > write an HowTo OptimiseAWiki!

            I'm definately seeing better performance that 10sec/page. But of
            course it all depends on how big the pages are.

            But if you want to run a "fast" wiki on a Slug you should optimize
            what you are running on the Slug. So use Openslug and not Unslung and
            just use it for a webserver with php. If no other big processes are
            running you should be fine using no swap and then you will have
            maximum performance.

            /Roger
          • soska hasan
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2006
              hi every all
              I invite you to chat about nslu2 so I suggest to chat at (sunday 2:00pm egypt at yahoo) I know this time is very bad but I am arabian girl and I canot chat night and I know that Iam not very good at english please donot angry from me by the way please send me your notice
              notice: please martin and marcel I hope to be best friends
              soska egyptain