Re: [nslu2-general] Re: How to do incremental back up from disk 1 to disk 2 on the same NSLU2

  • manza7
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2006
      Chandersawh & Mr. Doug,

      Thanks for the replies, please be patient here since I am a newbie to this,
      here are my questions after reading your replies:

      . Does this mean I definitely need to replace the Linksys firmware with the
      unslung one?

      . There is absolutely no way I can do Disk 1 to Disk 2 incremental or
      synchronized backup with Linksys firmware v2.3R63 ?

      . If I unslung the NSLU2 and able to telnet to it, can I just simply setup a
      daily cron job to copy data from disk 1 to disk 2 using 'cp' command e.g. cp
      -pruv /disk_1 / disk_2 ?

      Thanks

      Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.
    • tonymy01
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2006
        Does this help, this is what I have been using to fix the disk-disk backup
        previously:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware

        Tonymy01
        --
        http://tonyspage.abock.de <http://tonyspage.abock.de/> for nearly any
        Topfield info...

        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2006
          I am a newbie too...

          I believe you'll have to get Unslung for this to work.

          If you telnet and do a copy with the -u option this may work but not
          as effective as rsnapshot (which uses rsync). When using either of
          these utilities you are able to rotate your backups from hourly to
          daily, monthly, etc...

          Maybe someone else can shed some light.

          http://www.nabble.com/How-to-do-incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-t1533441.html#a4201422
          > Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.

        • h8dc
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2006
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

            > . NSLU2 only provides a drive backup (disk 1 to disk 2) which is a
            full
            > backup with no incremental capability. My data is over 100G and I
            view doing
            > a full backup daily as unnecessary wear and tear on backup disk.
            Incremental
            > daily backup is less than 500 Meg.

            Depends. This has been my experience for the past year...

            I use the drive-to-drive backup and it works well. I don't have as
            much data as you, but a full drive-to-drive backup takes 2 hours here
            nonetheless. But I get incremental backups as well.

            Here's the secret - if you do a backup using the Linksys
            webpage "start backup now" button, it *WILL* do a full backup every
            time. However, if you SCHEDULE the drive-to-drive backup, it will do
            incremental backups after a full backup has been performed either with
            the "start backup now" button or if it does a full backup (if it needs
            to) when the scheduled time rolls around. Actually, I believe it's
            syncronized as opposed to incremental since files removed from disk1
            are removed also from disk2.

            Elaborating further... I have drive-to-drive backups enabled 1 day a
            week. My slug hasn't done a *full* backup in about 6 months. But the
            contents of both drives are identical (I check every now and
            then :) . If I ever want to do a full backup (for whatever reason), I
            go to the webpage and click the "start backup now" button, takes 2-3
            hours, then finishes. On the next scheduled backup time it does
            incremental backups from then onward.

            Caveats.. If you disable the drive-to-drive backups and/or change
            disk2 in any way, and then re-enable the drive-to-drive backups, the
            system will think disk2's a new drive and on the next scheduled backup
            time it *will* do a full backup. Disk2 should be transparent.

            If this is what you're aiming for, give it a try. Schedule a backup
            time in the webpage for some time in the future. Hit the "start
            backup now" button to get a full backup, let it finish, and see what
            happens when the SCHEDULED backup time arrives. Has worked flawlessly
            here for quite some time.

            p.s. Works with V2.3R29 and V2.3R63 linksys firmware. And a shame
            it's not documented.

            Hope this helps!
          • Mr Doug -
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2006
              I looked at rsnapshot but I think it is a level of complexity that is usually
              not needed. First of all it forces the use of ssh which is not a bad thing but
              probably unnecessary in a local environment firewalled from the internet. Rsync
              will do incremental syncronized backups at the intervals you specify. Once a
              day would probably be sufficient in most cases but even once an hour would be
              ok for incremental once a complete back (first time) is done.

              I have tried rsync and it works fine. It also allows backups from other local
              network drives or internet (assuming security) drives.

              Linux 'cp' with -axu works in a pinch but it does not sync. so after using it
              awhile you will find the destination drive getting fuller then the source. This
              might be a good thing if you accidentally delete a file on the source. This
              would be like running rsync without the delete option.
              There is a wiki on this -

              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BackupYourLinuxBox

              that maybe should have some updated info but it is pretty good in describing.

              While backing up drive to drive on the NSLU2 is a common thing I think it is
              also often used as a standalone file backup system, backing up the various
              systems on your network.

              This is where it gets interesting because putting multiple EXT3 formated drives
              (NOT NSLU2 native formated I.E. not formated on the web page) on port 1 and
              using a backup tool like rsync would really make it a useful box.

              I will let you know how this works.

              Doug

              --- chandersawh <chandersawh@...> wrote:

              > I am a newbie too...
              >
              > I believe you'll have to get Unslung for this to work.
              >
              > If you telnet and do a copy with the -u option this may work but not
              > as effective as rsnapshot (which uses rsync). When using either of
              > these utilities you are able to rotate your backups from hourly to
              > daily, monthly, etc...
              >
              > Maybe someone else can shed some light.
              >

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Chandersawh & Mr. Doug,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the replies, please be patient here since I am a newbie
              > to this,
              > > here are my questions after reading your replies:
              > >
              > > . Does this mean I definitely need to replace the Linksys firmware
              > with the
              > > unslung one?
              > >
              > > . There is absolutely no way I can do Disk 1 to Disk 2 incremental
              > or
              > > synchronized backup with Linksys firmware v2.3R63 ?
              > >
              > > . If I unslung the NSLU2 and able to telnet to it, can I just
              > simply setup a
              > > daily cron job to copy data from disk 1 to disk 2 using 'cp'
              > command e.g. cp
              > > -pruv /disk_1 / disk_2 ?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >

              > > --

              http://www.nabble.com/How-to-do-incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-t1533441.html#a4201422

              > > Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • manza7
              Message 6 of 12 , May 6, 2006
                Hi h8dc,

                Thanks very much for the disk to disk copy explanation, I re-connected my
                second drive back to port 2, formatted it to EXT3FS and setup a disk to disk
                backup daily at 1am, immediately after setting it up, I did a "start backup
                now" as you suggested, NLSU2 did the fullbackup in 6 hours, after that,
                daily at 1am, it does "synchronized" back up as you stated, only takes 10
                min or so according to the log.

                One question:
                I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I load an
                old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has the disk 2
                in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the daily
                disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2 cannot be
                accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the Linksys
                firmware V2.3R63.

                How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When you said you
                check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?

                Message 7 of 12 , May 6, 2006
                  I think that's an intended feature, not a "problem". :-)

                  My guess is Disk2 is deliberately hidden because the intent is you
                  want to use it as a mirror of Disk1 and won't be using it for
                  anything else. On the webpage where you enable the backup, it warns
                  when the job is run "All existing data on Disk 2 will be
                  destroyed!". If you put other data, shares, etc. on Disk2, they
                  would be erased the next time the job is run. It's for DRIVE
                  backups, not SHARE backups. Hence, they hide Disk2 to prevent you
                  from using it for anything else.

                  When I want to check Disk2, I just disable the drive-to-drive backup
                  on the webpage. Then re-enable it when I'm done. [Can't remember if
                  I have to restart the NSLU or not - has been quite a while!]

                  Hope that helps,
                  h8dc

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

                  > One question:
                  > I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I
                  load an
                  > old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has
                  the disk 2
                  > in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the
                  daily
                  > disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2
                  cannot be
                  > accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the
                  Linksys
                  > firmware V2.3R63.
                  >
                  > How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When
                  you said you
                  > check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >

                  > --
                  incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-
                  t1533441.html#a4263499

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7, 2006
                    Hi,

                    Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty confident the
                    backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

                    I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if down the
                    road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives into a Linux
                    box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually remove
                    the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead to the
                    disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 7, 2006
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty
                      confident the
                      > backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

                      Quite welcome!

                      > I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if
                      down the
                      > road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives
                      into a Linux
                      > box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually
                      remove
                      > the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead
                      to the
                      > disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

                      I am unsure of that since I have never done so. My guess is that you
                      could do it. The only concern I can think of is the partitioning of
                      the drive. The NSLU2 probably put a /data, /conf and swap partition
                      on the drive. If that's not a barrier moving it to another machine,
                      should be okay.

                      I'll defer that to a knowlegeable person. :-)