SlimServer Install on unslung 6.8 beta

  • Pierre LASSALLE
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2006
      I'm not sure if i had to post at :
      nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      or at :
      nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com

      So sorry if i'm not at the good place.

      I go to my subject :
      i want Install Slim Server on unslung 6.8 beta

      So i'm following instructions here :
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

      Unfortunately i had already installed several things wich are working
      fine but that seem in conflict with this new install.
      Actually, i use ssh and Apache+php+mySQL+Mt-daapd
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Mt-daapd> - iTunes Server

      But i don't find any way to use iTunes PlayList easily with mt-daapd
      and now i have a roku soundbridge that i want to use with Slim Server.
      Does several of you try this solution ?

      Thirst steps of the article :
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer
      ----
      SlimServer <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer>

      Installing Slimserver on the NSLU2

      Of course, you've already installed Unslung
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage>. (I'm running 4.20,
      but more recent versions should work fine)

      **** OK ---> i use unslung 6.8 binary

      Enable telnet

      http://IP-address-of-your-slug/Management/telnet.cgi

      **** OK ---> i use openssh

      First I installed dropbear (UseDropBearForRemoteAccess
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseDropBearForRemoteAccess>) so I
      could use ssh to access my slug.

      # ipkg update
      # ipkg install dropbear
      # reboot

      ---

      **** When i do :

      # ipkg install drop bear

      it produces this message :
      ---
      # ipkg install dropbear
      Installing dropbear (0.47-1) to root...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/dropbear_0.47-1_armeb.ipk
      An error ocurred, return value: 2.
      Collected errors:
      Package dropbear wants to install file /opt/bin/ssh
      But that file is already provided by package openssh
      Package dropbear wants to install file /opt/bin/scp
      But that file is already provided by package openssh
      ---
      So i continue the procedure :
      ---

      You'll need Perl to run SlimServer
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer>
      (BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box>) - don't
      worry, perl is now pre-built, so this is easy:

      # ipkg update
      # ipkg install unslung-feeds
      # ipkg update
      # ipkg install perl
      ---

      The messages from terminal are actually :
      # ipkg install unslung-feeds
      Package unslung-feeds (3.0-1) installed in root is up to date.
      Nothing to be done

      # ipkg install perl
      Package perl (5.8.6-3) installed in root is up to date.
      Nothing to be done

      ----

      So it seems good.

      I continue with :

      ---

      Go download SlimServer
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer> Perl source
      code (I used v6.0.2)

      http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

      Installing Slimserver is as easy as using tar xzvf Slimserver_v6.0.2.tar.gz

      I decided mine should live in /usr/local with data in /etc/slim-data

      # cd /usr/local
      # tar xzvf /root/Slimserver_v6.0.2.tar.gz
      # cd /etc
      # mkdir slim-data

      ---

      i download slim server with this path :
      /Volumes/Pierre-Data/Desktop/SlimServer_v6.2.2.tar.gz

      So i do :
      # tar xzvf /Volumes/Pierre-Data/Desktop/SlimServer_v6.2.2.tar.gz

      but i obtain :
      tar: /Volumes/Pierre-Data/Desktop/SlimServer_v6.2.2.tar.gz: No such file or directory

      I do chmod 777 /root
      then i copy
      SlimServer_v6.2.2.tar.gz
      into root

      So i do :
      tar xzvf /root/SlimServer_v6.2.2.tar.gz

      and it works...

      Then :

      # ipkg install unslung-devel
      Installing unslung-devel (3.18-4) to root...
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/unslung-devel_3.18-4_armeb.ipk
      Installing autoconf (2.59-2) to root...
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/autoconf_2.59-2_armeb.ipk
      Installing m4 (1.4.1-2) to root...
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/m4_1.4.1-2_armeb.ipk
      Installing automake (1.9.4-3) to root...
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/automake_1.9.4-3_armeb.ipk
      Installing bison (1.875-2) to root...
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/bison_1.875-2_armeb.ipk
      Installing coreutils (5.2.1-9) to root...
      Configuring autoconf
      Configuring automake
      Configuring bison
      Configuring m4
      An error ocurred, return value: 1.
      Collected errors:
      ERROR: The following packages conflict with coreutils:
      busybox-links

      So i continue with that :

      ----
      # vi /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

      TT_EXAMPLES=n
      TT_EXAMPLES=n
      TT_EXTRAS=n
      TT_QUIET=y
      TT_ACCEPT=y
      TT_DBI=n
      TT_LATEX=n
      )),
      },

      'DBD-SQLite-1.08' => {

      'env' => [qw(DBI-1.46/blib/lib: DBI-1.46/blib/arch)],
      },

      'XML-Parser-2.34' => {
      'Makefile.PL' => join(' ', qw(
      EXPATLIBPATH=/opt/lib
      EXPATINCPATH=/opt/include
      )),
      },
      );

      ----

      I save it and i continue :

      # /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
      /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl: No such file or directory
      # /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
      Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

      These packages are needed for SlimServer 6 to function.
      You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

      *** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

      Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
      This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with -->
      Please enter the path to your SlimServer directory (ex: /usr/local/slimserver) -->
      Couldn't find a valid SlimServer path. Exiting.
      # cd /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.2
      # ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /etc/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /etc/slim-data
      The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib

      To download and compile them, please run: /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

      #
      # /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
      Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

      These packages are needed for SlimServer 6 to function.
      You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

      *** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

      Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
      This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with -->
      Please enter a directory to download files to -->
      Downloads will use lwp to fetch tarballs.

      Downloading Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz to: /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.2
      Uncompressing..
      Configuring..
      /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
      Up/Downgrade complete.
      Building..
      gcc: No such file or directory
      make: *** [Zlib.o] Error 127
      Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz - something is wrong. Exiting!
      #

      This last part between the two lines of ***********
      is very obscure for me and i don't understand what it is wrong.

      What does it means :
      gcc: No such file or directory
      make: *** [Zlib.o] Error 127
      Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz - something is wrong. Exiting!

      Have i to install gcc ?
      i try ipkg install gcc, but it doesn't work...

      So, i'am dissapointed and i don't know what do exactly with all that.
      I don't want to broke what is already installed and in the same time,
      i want continue to improve my NSLU2 system.

      All suggestions and solutions will be grantly appreciated.

      Please , i have so much to learn, let use a very simple langage for me !

      Sorry for this long message, but i don't know exactly what is important
      and what it is secondary.

      Pierre

    • Pierre LASSALLE
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2006
        Finally i do this :

        # mkdir /share/hdd/data/armeb
        # ln -s /share/hdd/data/armeb/ /opt/armeb
        # ipkg install crosstool-native

        then :

        # PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin
        # export PATH
        # /usr/local/SlimServer <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer>_v6.2.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

        And i have these warning :

        Warning: prerequisite HTML::Tagset 3 not found.
        Warning: prerequisite AppConfig 1.55 not found.

        And now i don't understand this explanation :

        ipkg install gcc gcc-symlinks make binutils libc6-dev coreutils libexpat-dev

        Have i to do something with that :
        http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=perl-appconfig&official=&format=

        How to proceed ?

        And it does not work when i type :
        http://<IP adress>:9000/
        in my navigator

        Have you some idea about what to do ?

        Thanks

        Pierre

        =======================

      • Pierre LASSALLE
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2006
          Finally i copy
          AppConfig-1.56.tar.gz
          into /root
          and i do :
          # tar xzvf /root/AppConfig-1.56.tar.gz

          Then :

          # cd /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.2
          # ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /etc/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /etc/slim-data

          AND IT WORKS !!!

          Ouf !!!

          Pierre