Re: HowTo speed up my mediawiki

  • janne5011
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2006
      Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast

      no need use a database...
      http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > > Thank you Laurant! I understand! When I try to access to the wiki
      the
      > > DISK2 Led flick a lot..
      > > I think it swap
      >
      > Enter the console (telnet into the slug) and run "free". It gives
      you
      > something like:
      >
      > total used free shared buffers
      cached
      > Mem: 1034952 1013596 21356 0 46816
      880076
      > -/+ buffers/cache: 86704 948248
      > Swap: 0 X 0
      >

      > (Note: this is from a normal PC, not my slug). The important number
      is
      > Swap/used, marked with X here. Keep it as low as possible.
      >
      > You can disable swap with "swapoff". Use with care, the slug may
      run out
      > of memory and hang/crash. But it's OK for testing.
      >
      > > I know you can show all running process with : ps -aux
      > >
      > > but how can I manage them? To tell which process does run or not?!
      >
      > "ps aux" gives you something like this:
      > ram@soak:~$ ps aux
      > USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME
      COMMAND
      > root 1 0.0 0.0 1600 524 ? S 10:53 0:00
      init [2]
      > root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SN 10:53 0:00
      > [ksoftirqd/0]
      >
      > The important colum is PID. You can stop each process with "kill
      PID". DO
      > NOT TOUCH: telnet*, bash*, busybox and anything having [ ] around.
      After
      > each reboot the processes will come back, so if you kill something
      > important just reboot.
      >
      > I'm not so sure how to prevent stuff from booting under unslung.
      The usual
      > linux/unix-way is to remove the corresponding file
      under /etc/init.d/.
      > Search the wiki about diversion-scripts and sucklike.
      >
      > cu

    • Roger Nilsson
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

        > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
        >
        > no need use a database...
        > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki

        I'm running DokuWiki on my Slug (OpenSlug 2.5, Lighttpd, php-fcgi) and
        it doesn't run too slow. Sure, it's not rendering pages with
        blistering speed like my workstation but it's a lot faster than I
        expected.

        There is also a theme available now that can give DokuWiki the look of
        MediaWiki for those that are interrested in that look:
        http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:monobook_for_dokuwiki

        /Roger
      • themoonseeker06
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2006
          Hi janne! I try.. I thought too that it's better but it's slow too!!!

          I ran Dokuwiki with Thttpd 2 light applications.. but it is slow!!

          i'm a little bit disappointed because I bought this slug to run a wiki but I can't it's too
          slow!!!

          If someone succefull to run a "fast" (better than wait 10 sec on loading a page) it could
          write an HowTo OptimiseAWiki!

          ;-)

        • themoonseeker06
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2006
            I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using Apache? What do you made to
            run fastest your wiki?

            Have you an url?

            Thank you

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Nilsson" <rognilss@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
            > >
            > > no need use a database...
            > > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki
            >
            > I'm running DokuWiki on my Slug (OpenSlug 2.5, Lighttpd, php-fcgi) and
            > it doesn't run too slow. Sure, it's not rendering pages with
            > blistering speed like my workstation but it's a lot faster than I
            > expected.
            >
            > There is also a theme available now that can give DokuWiki the look of
            > MediaWiki for those that are interrested in that look:
            > http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:monobook_for_dokuwiki
            >
            > /Roger

          • janne5011
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2006
              maybe you can look here and find something..
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "themoonseeker06"
              <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

              > I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using
              Apache? What do you made to
              > run fastest your wiki?
              >
              > Have you an url?
              >
              > Thank you
              >
              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Nilsson" <rognilss@>
              wrote:

              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@>
              wrote:

              > > > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
              > > >
              > > > no need use a database...
              > > > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki
              > >
              > > I'm running DokuWiki on my Slug (OpenSlug 2.5, Lighttpd, php-
              fcgi) and
              > > it doesn't run too slow. Sure, it's not rendering pages with
              > > blistering speed like my workstation but it's a lot faster than I
              > > expected.
              > >
              > > There is also a theme available now that can give DokuWiki the
              look of
              > > MediaWiki for those that are interrested in that look:
              > > http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:monobook_for_dokuwiki
              > >
              > > /Roger

            • Roger Nilsson
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

                > I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using
                Apache? What do you made to
                > run fastest your wiki?

                As I wrote earlier i'm running Lighttpd, I tried thttpd but it sucks
                and apache is not for computers with limited resources. The Slug is
                running from a memorystick with the available ram split into 50% Ram
                and 50% Ramdisk (i.e. standard Openslug 'turnup memstick'). It is only
                acting as a webserver and I haven't done any special tweaking. But I
                can see that it could run slow on Unslung since lots of the precious
                memory are occupied by other resources.

                > Have you an url?

                I don't have any public pages in the wiki at the moment so I cannot
                share any url, sorry.

                /Roger
              • Roger Nilsson
                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                  <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

                  > If someone succefull to run a "fast" (better than wait 10 sec on
                  > write an HowTo OptimiseAWiki!

                  I'm definately seeing better performance that 10sec/page. But of
                  course it all depends on how big the pages are.

                  But if you want to run a "fast" wiki on a Slug you should optimize
                  what you are running on the Slug. So use Openslug and not Unslung and
                  just use it for a webserver with php. If no other big processes are
                  running you should be fine using no swap and then you will have
                  maximum performance.

                  /Roger
                • soska hasan
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                    hi every all
                    I invite you to chat about nslu2 so I suggest to chat at (sunday 2:00pm egypt at yahoo) I know this time is very bad but I am arabian girl and I canot chat night and I know that Iam not very good at english please donot angry from me by the way please send me your notice
                    notice: please martin and marcel I hope to be best friends
                    soska egyptain