Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Unslung 6.8 Format Problems.

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2006
      > I have tried the Magicstor under the stock linksys firmware and it
      > appears that the MagicStor isn't supported on that version.
      >
      > Is it possible to format the disk correctly using the Telnet
      > interface?

      There is some improved support for USB devices on Unslung over the standard Linksys firmware, but not much. So if it does not work on the Linksys firmware, I would not be surprised that it doesn't work on Unslung either.

      Have you tried USB Port 1 instead of USB Port 2? There are many reasons to NOT use that port, as documented on the wiki, but that port is far more flexible than Port 2 -- if the device's troubles are related at all to multi-lun issues, then it is more likely to work in port 1 than in port 2.

      It might be possible to format using Telnet, but there is no command-line version of the Linksys "format" utility -- what Linksys does is far more involved than just formatting the device. Unless you are familiar with fdisk, mkfs, and have another Linux system available (perhaps via Knoppix), it's not something easily done. Actually, even if you have the experience and the equipment, it's still a real hassle to do. Part of the problem is that we don't know where all the files that appear on the device when Linksys "formats" the device actually come from. If that can be decoded, it might become possible for someone to write a more flexible tool to "format" and repair Linksys natively-formatted devices... A challenge for one of the folks out there to take up...

      Mike (mwester)