Re: [nslu2-general] Re: How to do incremental back up from disk 1 to disk 2 on the same NSLU2

  • Mr Doug -
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2006
      Won't Rsync work also? You can use it on the local syste, as source and
      destination.

      Doug

      http://www.nabble.com/How-to-do-incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-t1533441.html#a4165954
      > > Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • manza7
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2006
        Chandersawh & Mr. Doug,

        Thanks for the replies, please be patient here since I am a newbie to this,
        here are my questions after reading your replies:

        . Does this mean I definitely need to replace the Linksys firmware with the
        unslung one?

        . There is absolutely no way I can do Disk 1 to Disk 2 incremental or
        synchronized backup with Linksys firmware v2.3R63 ?

        . If I unslung the NSLU2 and able to telnet to it, can I just simply setup a
        daily cron job to copy data from disk 1 to disk 2 using 'cp' command e.g. cp
        -pruv /disk_1 / disk_2 ?

        Thanks

        Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.
      • tonymy01
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2006
          Does this help, this is what I have been using to fix the disk-disk backup
          previously:

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware

          Tonymy01
          --
          http://tonyspage.abock.de <http://tonyspage.abock.de/> for nearly any
          Topfield info...

> [...]

          > > I can mount the Samba directory and see everything on disk 2 from
          > Linux end.
          > >
          > > The disk 1 (port 1) is working great as a file server for my home
          > network, I
          > > just cannot get a incremental backup going after the initial full disk
          > > backup.
          > >
          > > Tried e-mail Linksys support a few times, repsonds keep telling me
          > to use
          > > the disk to disk backup over and over again, ignoring my question on
          > doing
          > > incremental backup from disk 1 to disk 2.
          > >
          > > Can someone please help me before I return this device.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > --

          http://www.nabble.com/How-to-do-incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on
          -the-same-NSLU2-t1533441.html#a4165954
          > > Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.

          Computer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+security&w1=Computer+
          internet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=C
          omputer+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+
          internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=Z7dpIUtVX-dXgPnMC27ANA> internet security
          Firmware
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Firmware+development&w1=Computer+intern
          et+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Compute
          r+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+intern
          et+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=BJDXCrOJYq7DinxKrOUU5A> development Computer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+business&w1=Computer+
          internet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=C
          omputer+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+
          internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=RTL1MKG2ZeJNV1h8YYsGRA> internet business
          Computer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+access&w1=Computer+in
          ternet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Com
          puter+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+in
          ternet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=EOKH7Nf3S-Q_63e2yrqEIA> internet access
          Computer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w1
          =Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+bus
          iness&w4=Computer+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6
          =Computer+internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=M1P_Q8qmEaW9BQEbyji-yA> internet
          privacy securities Computer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+help&w1=Computer+inte
          rnet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Compu
          ter+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+inte
          rnet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=LwLbD_wvMBON1hx3ACoZNA> internet help

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "nslu2-general
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • chandersawh
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2006
            I am a newbie too...

            I believe you'll have to get Unslung for this to work.

            If you telnet and do a copy with the -u option this may work but not
            as effective as rsnapshot (which uses rsync). When using either of
            these utilities you are able to rotate your backups from hourly to
            daily, monthly, etc...

            Maybe someone else can shed some light.

            http://www.nabble.com/How-to-do-incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-t1533441.html#a4201422
            > Sent from the Nslu2 - General forum at Nabble.com.

          • h8dc
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2006
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

              > . NSLU2 only provides a drive backup (disk 1 to disk 2) which is a
              full
              > backup with no incremental capability. My data is over 100G and I
              view doing
              > a full backup daily as unnecessary wear and tear on backup disk.
              Incremental
              > daily backup is less than 500 Meg.

              Depends. This has been my experience for the past year...

              I use the drive-to-drive backup and it works well. I don't have as
              much data as you, but a full drive-to-drive backup takes 2 hours here
              nonetheless. But I get incremental backups as well.

              Here's the secret - if you do a backup using the Linksys
              webpage "start backup now" button, it *WILL* do a full backup every
              time. However, if you SCHEDULE the drive-to-drive backup, it will do
              incremental backups after a full backup has been performed either with
              the "start backup now" button or if it does a full backup (if it needs
              to) when the scheduled time rolls around. Actually, I believe it's
              syncronized as opposed to incremental since files removed from disk1
              are removed also from disk2.

              Elaborating further... I have drive-to-drive backups enabled 1 day a
              week. My slug hasn't done a *full* backup in about 6 months. But the
              contents of both drives are identical (I check every now and
              then :) . If I ever want to do a full backup (for whatever reason), I
              go to the webpage and click the "start backup now" button, takes 2-3
              hours, then finishes. On the next scheduled backup time it does
              incremental backups from then onward.

              Caveats.. If you disable the drive-to-drive backups and/or change
              disk2 in any way, and then re-enable the drive-to-drive backups, the
              system will think disk2's a new drive and on the next scheduled backup
              time it *will* do a full backup. Disk2 should be transparent.

              If this is what you're aiming for, give it a try. Schedule a backup
              time in the webpage for some time in the future. Hit the "start
              backup now" button to get a full backup, let it finish, and see what
              happens when the SCHEDULED backup time arrives. Has worked flawlessly
              here for quite some time.

              p.s. Works with V2.3R29 and V2.3R63 linksys firmware. And a shame
              it's not documented.

              Hope this helps!
            • Mr Doug -
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2006
                I looked at rsnapshot but I think it is a level of complexity that is usually
                not needed. First of all it forces the use of ssh which is not a bad thing but
                probably unnecessary in a local environment firewalled from the internet. Rsync
                will do incremental syncronized backups at the intervals you specify. Once a
                day would probably be sufficient in most cases but even once an hour would be
                ok for incremental once a complete back (first time) is done.

                I have tried rsync and it works fine. It also allows backups from other local
                network drives or internet (assuming security) drives.

                Linux 'cp' with -axu works in a pinch but it does not sync. so after using it
                awhile you will find the destination drive getting fuller then the source. This
                might be a good thing if you accidentally delete a file on the source. This
                would be like running rsync without the delete option.
                There is a wiki on this -

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BackupYourLinuxBox

                that maybe should have some updated info but it is pretty good in describing.

                While backing up drive to drive on the NSLU2 is a common thing I think it is
                also often used as a standalone file backup system, backing up the various
                systems on your network.

                This is where it gets interesting because putting multiple EXT3 formated drives
                (NOT NSLU2 native formated I.E. not formated on the web page) on port 1 and
                using a backup tool like rsync would really make it a useful box.

                I will let you know how this works.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 6, 2006
                  Hi h8dc,

                  Thanks very much for the disk to disk copy explanation, I re-connected my
                  second drive back to port 2, formatted it to EXT3FS and setup a disk to disk
                  backup daily at 1am, immediately after setting it up, I did a "start backup
                  now" as you suggested, NLSU2 did the fullbackup in 6 hours, after that,
                  daily at 1am, it does "synchronized" back up as you stated, only takes 10
                  min or so according to the log.

                  One question:
                  I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I load an
                  old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has the disk 2
                  in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the daily
                  disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2 cannot be
                  accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the Linksys
                  firmware V2.3R63.

                  How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When you said you
                  check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?

                  Thanks

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 6, 2006
                    I think that's an intended feature, not a "problem". :-)

                    My guess is Disk2 is deliberately hidden because the intent is you
                    want to use it as a mirror of Disk1 and won't be using it for
                    anything else. On the webpage where you enable the backup, it warns
                    when the job is run "All existing data on Disk 2 will be
                    destroyed!". If you put other data, shares, etc. on Disk2, they
                    would be erased the next time the job is run. It's for DRIVE
                    backups, not SHARE backups. Hence, they hide Disk2 to prevent you
                    from using it for anything else.

                    When I want to check Disk2, I just disable the drive-to-drive backup
                    on the webpage. Then re-enable it when I'm done. [Can't remember if
                    I have to restart the NSLU or not - has been quite a while!]

                    Hope that helps,
                    h8dc

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

                    > One question:
                    > I cannot see my second drive in the admin/advanced/share unless I
                    load an
                    > old saved config (which does not have daily backup setup) but has
                    the disk 2
                    > in it. I load it, check drive 2 backup, but as soon as I setup the
                    daily
                    > disk to disk backup and click save in the backup menu, disk 2
                    cannot be
                    > accessed anymore. Do you have the same problem? I am using the
                    Linksys
                    > firmware V2.3R63.
                    >
                    > How do I access the disk 2 or make it show up under share? When
                    you said you
                    > check you disk 2 from time to time, how do you do it?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >

                    > --
                    incremental-back-up-from-disk-1-to-disk-2-on-the-same-NSLU2-
                    t1533441.html#a4263499

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 7, 2006
                      Hi,

                      Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty confident the
                      backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

                      I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if down the
                      road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives into a Linux
                      box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually remove
                      the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead to the
                      disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 7, 2006
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, manza7 <manza7@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, now I am pretty
                        confident the
                        > backup (full/synchronized) are working between disk 1 and disk 2.

                        Quite welcome!

                        > I have another question, since both these drives are EXT3FS, if
                        down the
                        > road, the NSLU2 stopped working, can I plug one of these drives
                        into a Linux
                        > box USB port, setup SAMBA shares and continue to work? Or actually
                        remove
                        > the drive and install into a Linux box? I am simply thinking ahead
                        to the
                        > disaster recovery, short of running out to buy another NSLU2.

                        I am unsure of that since I have never done so. My guess is that you
                        could do it. The only concern I can think of is the partitioning of
                        the drive. The NSLU2 probably put a /data, /conf and swap partition
                        on the drive. If that's not a barrier moving it to another machine,
                        should be okay.

                        I'll defer that to a knowlegeable person. :-)