Re: [nslu2-general] OT: Copying itunes files

  • Richard Clarke
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2006
      Well, it looks like a itunes is creating that extra info and storing it
      as a stream in the ripped file. Windows recognizes that the target file
      system (Slug) can't handle streams, gives you that warning and then
      places the stream data in what sounds like little extra 'stub' files.
      (Surprising, I'd have thought it would just lose it) Maybe there's some
      way to prevent itunes adding the information, or you could hunt round
      for some way of stripping stream data from the files after you've ripped
      them, but before moving them to the Slug. I wonder what the "RMC
      Stream" data is anyway? Maybe some sort of DRM? Not being an itunes
      user I don't know.

      Mr Doug - wrote:

      >Thanks and it was helpful but it still does not answer my primary question.
      >What creates these files? It seems when I NFS copy a music directory over to
      >the NSLU2 they are created at the destination. Can I turn this process off? The
      >stream.exe program from that site was not all that useful as it does not seem
      >to work on an NFS file system. I can just delete the files but why create them
      >to begin with. I want to turn it off if I can.
      >
      >Doug
      >
      >--- rclarke@... wrote:
      >

      >>Everything you need to know is right here
      >>
      >>http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Streams.html
      >>

      >>Quoting Mr Doug - <dsc3507@...>:
      >>

      >>>can someone answer this....
      >>>
      >>>After ripping with itunes to AAC (m4a) in windows ... I then drag the
      >>>directory
      >>>to the (NFS mounted) nslu2 /public/mp3 directory and I get the following
      >>>message...
      >>>
      >>>The .... files has extra information attached to it that might be lost if
      >>>you
      >>>continue copying etc...
      >>>
      >>>and in a block below...
      >>>
      >>>:Roxio RMC Stream:$DATA
      >>>
      >>>I continue copying and it creates the directory path and files with the
      >>>addition of a small extra file for each file and direcotry copied. I have

      >>>delete all these extra files and itunes works fine.
      >>>
      >>>What are these files and what is doing this?
      >>>
      >>>Doug

      [ads removed by moderator - please clean your posts]