HowTo speed up my mediawiki

  • themoonseeker06
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2006
      Hello all!

      I overclocked my NSLU2 and run Uslang 6.x, I have installed a mediawiki but I don't
      understand is it running too slowly!? Could someone help me? Does someone have installed
      MediaWiki or another Wiki?!

      You can test the speed of my wiki :
      http://wikixen.no-ip.info

      Thank you!
    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 28, 2006
        Hello yes I have tried it and its slow...there is many sorts of wiki
        out there if you search on google...
        btw this is your page now in swedish:
        "Det fungerade! Apache är installerad på denna maskin" =)
        and that was fast...

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "themoonseeker06"
        <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > I overclocked my NSLU2 and run Uslang 6.x, I have installed a
        mediawiki but I don't
        > understand is it running too slowly!? Could someone help me? Does
        someone have installed
        > MediaWiki or another Wiki?!
        >
        > You can test the speed of my wiki :
        > http://wikixen.no-ip.info
        >
        > Thank you!

      • Laurent Gilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 28, 2006
          Hello

          > I overclocked my NSLU2 and run Uslang 6.x, I have installed a mediawiki
          > but I don't
          > understand is it running too slowly!?

          My guess: it's out of RAM.

          You are running unslug (= thttpd, telnet and samba, probably more) which
          consumes a fair amount of RAM. You have added apache with php-module and
          some sort of DB. Maybe you even used the one-size-fits-all apache-config
          with stuffs all kind of modules into RAM. It has to use swap as RAM by
          now.Swap is slow on normal PCs and even much slower on the slug.

          Remove all servers, maximise the free RAM. Then install just the servers
          you really, really need. Minimize the configurations, remove everything
          you don't need. Then running on RAM (and not swap) slugs are fast enough
          to serve wiki's.

          cu
        • themoonseeker06
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29, 2006
            Are you using a wiki with your slug? I know that there is lot of wiki but for me the problem
            is that I have found 2 wiki's package on this link : http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/
            result.php?query=wiki&searchtype=package§ion=

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

            > Hello yes I have tried it and its slow...there is many sorts of wiki
            > out there if you search on google...
            > btw this is your page now in swedish:
            > "Det fungerade! Apache är installerad på denna maskin" =)
            > and that was fast...
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "themoonseeker06"
            > <themoonseeker06@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all!
            > >
            > > I overclocked my NSLU2 and run Uslang 6.x, I have installed a
            > mediawiki but I don't
            > > understand is it running too slowly!? Could someone help me? Does
            > someone have installed
            > > MediaWiki or another Wiki?!
            > >
            > > You can test the speed of my wiki :
            > > http://wikixen.no-ip.info
            > >
            > > Thank you!

          • themoonseeker06
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 29, 2006
              Thank you Laurant! I understand! When I try to access to the wiki the DISK2 Led flick a lot..
              I think it swap

              I know you can show all running process with : ps -aux

              but how can I manage them? To tell which process does run or not?!

              Thank you

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              >
              > > I overclocked my NSLU2 and run Uslang 6.x, I have installed a mediawiki
              > > but I don't
              > > understand is it running too slowly!?
              >
              > My guess: it's out of RAM.
              >
              > You are running unslug (= thttpd, telnet and samba, probably more) which
              > consumes a fair amount of RAM. You have added apache with php-module and
              > some sort of DB. Maybe you even used the one-size-fits-all apache-config
              > with stuffs all kind of modules into RAM. It has to use swap as RAM by
              > now.Swap is slow on normal PCs and even much slower on the slug.
              >
              > Remove all servers, maximise the free RAM. Then install just the servers
              > you really, really need. Minimize the configurations, remove everything
              > you don't need. Then running on RAM (and not swap) slugs are fast enough
              > to serve wiki's.
              >
              > cu

            • janne5011
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 29, 2006
                not now but I tried it before what I remember it was better to not
                enable EAccelerator but it was not a big difference..
                I decided to not run it becuase it was to slow.
                maybe remove everyting you dont need to save RAM, and optimize it can
                do it anyway (?)

                <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

                > Are you using a wiki with your slug? I know that there is lot of
                wiki but for me the problem
                > is that I have found 2 wiki's package on this link :
                http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/
                > result.php?query=wiki&searchtype=package§ion=
                >
                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@>
                wrote:

                > > Hello yes I have tried it and its slow...there is many sorts of
                wiki
                > > out there if you search on google...
                > > btw this is your page now in swedish:
                > > "Det fungerade! Apache är installerad på denna maskin" =)
                > > and that was fast...
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "themoonseeker06"
                > > <themoonseeker06@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello all!
                > > >
                > > > I overclocked my NSLU2 and run Uslang 6.x, I have installed a
                > > mediawiki but I don't
                > > > understand is it running too slowly!? Could someone help me?
                Does
                > > someone have installed
                > > > MediaWiki or another Wiki?!
                > > >
                > > > You can test the speed of my wiki :
                > > > http://wikixen.no-ip.info
                > > >
                > > > Thank you!

              • Laurent Gilson
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 29, 2006
                  Hello,

                  > Thank you Laurant! I understand! When I try to access to the wiki the
                  > DISK2 Led flick a lot..
                  > I think it swap

                  Enter the console (telnet into the slug) and run "free". It gives you
                  something like:

                  total used free shared buffers cached
                  Mem: 1034952 1013596 21356 0 46816 880076
                  -/+ buffers/cache: 86704 948248
                  Swap: 0 X 0

                  (Note: this is from a normal PC, not my slug). The important number is
                  Swap/used, marked with X here. Keep it as low as possible.

                  You can disable swap with "swapoff". Use with care, the slug may run out
                  of memory and hang/crash. But it's OK for testing.

                  > I know you can show all running process with : ps -aux
                  >
                  > but how can I manage them? To tell which process does run or not?!

                  "ps aux" gives you something like this:
                  ram@soak:~$ ps aux
                  USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
                  root 1 0.0 0.0 1600 524 ? S 10:53 0:00 init [2]
                  root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SN 10:53 0:00
                  [ksoftirqd/0]

                  The important colum is PID. You can stop each process with "kill PID". DO
                  NOT TOUCH: telnet*, bash*, busybox and anything having [ ] around. After
                  each reboot the processes will come back, so if you kill something
                  important just reboot.

                  I'm not so sure how to prevent stuff from booting under unslung. The usual
                  linux/unix-way is to remove the corresponding file under /etc/init.d/.
                  Search the wiki about diversion-scripts and sucklike.

                  cu
                • janne5011
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2006
                    Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast

                    no need use a database...
                    http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki

                    wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > > Thank you Laurant! I understand! When I try to access to the wiki
                    the
                    > > DISK2 Led flick a lot..
                    > > I think it swap
                    >
                    > Enter the console (telnet into the slug) and run "free". It gives
                    you
                    > something like:
                    >
                    > total used free shared buffers
                    cached
                    > Mem: 1034952 1013596 21356 0 46816
                    880076
                    > -/+ buffers/cache: 86704 948248
                    > Swap: 0 X 0
                    >

                    > (Note: this is from a normal PC, not my slug). The important number
                    is
                    > Swap/used, marked with X here. Keep it as low as possible.
                    >
                    > You can disable swap with "swapoff". Use with care, the slug may
                    run out
                    > of memory and hang/crash. But it's OK for testing.
                    >
                    > > I know you can show all running process with : ps -aux
                    > >
                    > > but how can I manage them? To tell which process does run or not?!
                    >
                    > "ps aux" gives you something like this:
                    > ram@soak:~$ ps aux
                    > USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME
                    COMMAND
                    > root 1 0.0 0.0 1600 524 ? S 10:53 0:00
                    init [2]
                    > root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SN 10:53 0:00
                    > [ksoftirqd/0]
                    >
                    > The important colum is PID. You can stop each process with "kill
                    PID". DO
                    > NOT TOUCH: telnet*, bash*, busybox and anything having [ ] around.
                    After
                    > each reboot the processes will come back, so if you kill something
                    > important just reboot.
                    >
                    > I'm not so sure how to prevent stuff from booting under unslung.
                    The usual
                    > linux/unix-way is to remove the corresponding file
                    under /etc/init.d/.
                    > Search the wiki about diversion-scripts and sucklike.
                    >
                    > cu

                  • Roger Nilsson
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

                      > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
                      >
                      > no need use a database...
                      > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki

                      I'm running DokuWiki on my Slug (OpenSlug 2.5, Lighttpd, php-fcgi) and
                      it doesn't run too slow. Sure, it's not rendering pages with
                      blistering speed like my workstation but it's a lot faster than I
                      expected.

                      There is also a theme available now that can give DokuWiki the look of
                      MediaWiki for those that are interrested in that look:
                      http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:monobook_for_dokuwiki

                      /Roger
                    • themoonseeker06
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                        Hi janne! I try.. I thought too that it's better but it's slow too!!!

                        I ran Dokuwiki with Thttpd 2 light applications.. but it is slow!!

                        i'm a little bit disappointed because I bought this slug to run a wiki but I can't it's too
                        slow!!!

                        If someone succefull to run a "fast" (better than wait 10 sec on loading a page) it could
                        write an HowTo OptimiseAWiki!

                        ;-)

                      • themoonseeker06
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                          I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using Apache? What do you made to
                          run fastest your wiki?

                          Have you an url?

                          Thank you

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Nilsson" <rognilss@...> wrote:

                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
                          > >
                          > > no need use a database...
                          > > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki
                          >
                          > I'm running DokuWiki on my Slug (OpenSlug 2.5, Lighttpd, php-fcgi) and
                          > it doesn't run too slow. Sure, it's not rendering pages with
                          > blistering speed like my workstation but it's a lot faster than I
                          > expected.
                          >
                          > There is also a theme available now that can give DokuWiki the look of
                          > MediaWiki for those that are interrested in that look:
                          > http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:monobook_for_dokuwiki
                          >
                          > /Roger

                        • janne5011
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                            maybe you can look here and find something..
                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI

                            <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

                            > I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using
                            Apache? What do you made to
                            > run fastest your wiki?
                            >
                            > Have you an url?
                            >
                            > Thank you
                            >
                            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Nilsson" <rognilss@>
                            wrote:

                            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@>
                            wrote:

                            > > > Dont know if this one will work on a slug but i think it is fast
                            > > >
                            > > > no need use a database...
                            > > > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3ADokuWiki
                            > >
                            > > I'm running DokuWiki on my Slug (OpenSlug 2.5, Lighttpd, php-
                            fcgi) and
                            > > it doesn't run too slow. Sure, it's not rendering pages with
                            > > blistering speed like my workstation but it's a lot faster than I
                            > > expected.
                            > >
                            > > There is also a theme available now that can give DokuWiki the
                            look of
                            > > MediaWiki for those that are interrested in that look:
                            > > http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:monobook_for_dokuwiki
                            > >
                            > > /Roger

                          • Roger Nilsson
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                              <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

                              > I try DokuWiki with thttpd but it's too slow... Are you using
                              Apache? What do you made to
                              > run fastest your wiki?

                              As I wrote earlier i'm running Lighttpd, I tried thttpd but it sucks
                              and apache is not for computers with limited resources. The Slug is
                              running from a memorystick with the available ram split into 50% Ram
                              and 50% Ramdisk (i.e. standard Openslug 'turnup memstick'). It is only
                              acting as a webserver and I haven't done any special tweaking. But I
                              can see that it could run slow on Unslung since lots of the precious
                              memory are occupied by other resources.

                              > Have you an url?

                              I don't have any public pages in the wiki at the moment so I cannot
                              share any url, sorry.

                              /Roger
                            • Roger Nilsson
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                                <themoonseeker06@...> wrote:

                                > If someone succefull to run a "fast" (better than wait 10 sec on
                                > write an HowTo OptimiseAWiki!

                                I'm definately seeing better performance that 10sec/page. But of
                                course it all depends on how big the pages are.

                                But if you want to run a "fast" wiki on a Slug you should optimize
                                what you are running on the Slug. So use Openslug and not Unslung and
                                just use it for a webserver with php. If no other big processes are
                                running you should be fine using no swap and then you will have
                                maximum performance.

                                /Roger
                              • soska hasan
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                                  hi every all
                                  I invite you to chat about nslu2 so I suggest to chat at (sunday 2:00pm egypt at yahoo) I know this time is very bad but I am arabian girl and I canot chat night and I know that Iam not very good at english please donot angry from me by the way please send me your notice
                                  notice: please martin and marcel I hope to be best friends
                                  soska egyptain