Unslung 6.8 Format Problems.

  • j_ohare2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2006
      Having flashed 6.8 I tried to format my 2.2g MagicStor 1" hard drive -
      Compact Flash format with USB adapter. A number of attempts to format
      the drive eventually worked unsling worked fine. However, I needed to
      reflash 6.8 and this time around have not been able to get the format
      to complete. I did mess around with the language support using the web
      interface but after reading articles that this doesn't support
      FAT/NTFS I have reverted to to the US language setting AND reflashed
      the NSLU.

      I have formated back to FAT32 on a PC and then tried NLSU format. The
      format appears to hang after a good part of the format appears to have
      happened. The web interface is unresponsive the Telnet also. Pressing
      the power button causes a beep but shutdown doesn't happen.

      I have also formatted the MagicStor using a DS101g and then tried the
      NSLU format - no joy.

      I have tried the Magicstor under the stock linksys firmware and it
      appears that the MagicStor isn't supported on that version.

      Is it possible to format the disk correctly using the Telnet interface?

      Can anyone help?

      Cheers, John.
    • j_ohare2003
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2006
        Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "j_ohare2003" <john@...> wrote:

        > Having flashed 6.8 I tried to format my 2.2g MagicStor 1" hard
        drive -
        > Compact Flash format with USB adapter. A number of attempts to
        format
        > the drive eventually worked unsling worked fine. However, I needed
        > reflash 6.8 and this time around have not been able to get the
        format
        > to complete. I did mess around with the language support using the
        web
        > interface but after reading articles that this doesn't support
        > FAT/NTFS I have reverted to to the US language setting AND
        reflashed
        > the NSLU.
        >
        > I have formated back to FAT32 on a PC and then tried NLSU format.
        The
        > format appears to hang after a good part of the format appears to
        have
        > happened. The web interface is unresponsive the Telnet also.
        Pressing
        > the power button causes a beep but shutdown doesn't happen.
        >
        > I have also formatted the MagicStor using a DS101g and then tried
        the
        > NSLU format - no joy.
        >
        > I have tried the Magicstor under the stock linksys firmware and it
        > appears that the MagicStor isn't supported on that version.
        >
        > Is it possible to format the disk correctly using the Telnet
        interface?

        > Can anyone help?
        >
        > Cheers, John.

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2006
          > I have tried the Magicstor under the stock linksys firmware and it
          > appears that the MagicStor isn't supported on that version.
          >
          > Is it possible to format the disk correctly using the Telnet
          > interface?

          There is some improved support for USB devices on Unslung over the standard Linksys firmware, but not much. So if it does not work on the Linksys firmware, I would not be surprised that it doesn't work on Unslung either.

          Have you tried USB Port 1 instead of USB Port 2? There are many reasons to NOT use that port, as documented on the wiki, but that port is far more flexible than Port 2 -- if the device's troubles are related at all to multi-lun issues, then it is more likely to work in port 1 than in port 2.

          It might be possible to format using Telnet, but there is no command-line version of the Linksys "format" utility -- what Linksys does is far more involved than just formatting the device. Unless you are familiar with fdisk, mkfs, and have another Linux system available (perhaps via Knoppix), it's not something easily done. Actually, even if you have the experience and the equipment, it's still a real hassle to do. Part of the problem is that we don't know where all the files that appear on the device when Linksys "formats" the device actually come from. If that can be decoded, it might become possible for someone to write a more flexible tool to "format" and repair Linksys natively-formatted devices... A challenge for one of the folks out there to take up...

          Mike (mwester)