Clock returns to Jan 1st 1970 on every restart

  • manutremo
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
      I'm a new owner of a NSLU2, and have just upgraded to the latest
      unsling. I must say this is a great piece of hw.

      But while installing packages, I've noticed that everytime I reboot
      the NSLU2, its date and time are reset to Jan 1st 1970, and I must got
      to the web management system and set it again.

      I have run /usr/sbin/hwclock -s but it gives me "Timed out waiting for
      time change". I have tried other options (hctosys, systohc) but all of
      them get the same error. It seems like the NSLU2 doesn't have a
      hardware clock.

      Is that a problem on my NSLU or is it "by design"? Is there some way
      to overcome this limitation?
    • David Erbas-White
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
        Solely a guess, but I'm thinking that the lithium battery may either be
        defective, low, or not connected. Measure the voltage, and make sure
        that it's actually making contact in the holder.

        David Erbas-White

        manutremo wrote:

        > I'm a new owner of a NSLU2, and have just upgraded to the latest
        > unsling. I must say this is a great piece of hw.
        >
        > But while installing packages, I've noticed that everytime I reboot
        > the NSLU2, its date and time are reset to Jan 1st 1970, and I must got
        > to the web management system and set it again.
        >
        > I have run /usr/sbin/hwclock -s but it gives me "Timed out waiting for
        > time change". I have tried other options (hctosys, systohc) but all of
        > them get the same error. It seems like the NSLU2 doesn't have a
        > hardware clock.
        >
        > Is that a problem on my NSLU or is it "by design"? Is there some way
        > to overcome this limitation?

        [ads removed by moderator - please edit your replies]
      • Ben Firshman
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
          Replace the battery or check it is in properly!

          Ben

          --
          Ben Firshman
          ben@... http://www.phatmonkey.org.uk/
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
            The battery was ok, it was just not having good contact... now it
            works.

            Thanks!

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ben Firshman <ben@...> wrote:

            > Replace the battery or check it is in properly!
            >
            > Ben
            >
            > On 14 Apr 2006, at 09:47, manutremo wrote:
            >
            > > I'm a new owner of a NSLU2, and have just upgraded to the latest
            > > unsling. I must say this is a great piece of hw.
            > >
            > > But while installing packages, I've noticed that everytime I
            reboot
            > > the NSLU2, its date and time are reset to Jan 1st 1970, and I
            must got
            > > to the web management system and set it again.
            > >
            > > I have run /usr/sbin/hwclock -s but it gives me "Timed out
            waiting for
            > > time change". I have tried other options (hctosys, systohc) but
            all of
            > > them get the same error. It seems like the NSLU2 doesn't have a
            > > hardware clock.
            > >
            > > Is that a problem on my NSLU or is it "by design"? Is there some
            way
            > > to overcome this limitation?
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Ben Firshman
            > ben@... http://www.phatmonkey.org.uk/

          • Todd Megee
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
              Quoting manutremo <manutremo@...>:

              > The battery was ok, it was just not having good contact... now it
              > works.
              >
              > Thanks!

              Mine has been doing the samething since I purchased it, I figured it was just
              lack of a battery and just ignored it, but since others state it isn't.. I beg
              to ask the question...

              How did you open the NSLU2?

              --
              Todd
            • manutremo
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
                Opening the case is very easy, for an explanation ib a better
                english than mine ;-), have a look at:

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OpenTheCase

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Todd Megee <tmegee@...> wrote:

                > Quoting manutremo <manutremo@...>:
                >
                > > The battery was ok, it was just not having good contact... now it
                > > works.
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > >

                > Mine has been doing the samething since I purchased it, I figured
                it was just
                > lack of a battery and just ignored it, but since others state it
                isn't.. I beg
                > to ask the question...
                >
                > How did you open the NSLU2?
                >
                > --
                > Todd

              • Thomas Cooper
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15, 2006
                  I had a similar problem with my Slug. The battery was fine, but there is
                  some sort of hardware defect. I modded it before I realized I had a problem.
                  Too late for warrantee coverage. I have written a couple of scripts to set
                  the time on boot.

                  I also created a cgi script that lets me set the date directly.

                  I'll dig them out if there is any interest...

                  On 4/14/06, David Erbas-White <derbas@...> wrote:

                  > Solely a guess, but I'm thinking that the lithium battery may either be
                  > defective, low, or not connected. Measure the voltage, and make sure
                  > that it's actually making contact in the holder.
                  >
                  > David Erbas-White
                  >

                  > manutremo wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm a new owner of a NSLU2, and have just upgraded to the latest
                  > > unsling. I must say this is a great piece of hw.
                  > >
                  > > But while installing packages, I've noticed that everytime I reboot
                  > > the NSLU2, its date and time are reset to Jan 1st 1970, and I must got
                  > > to the web management system and set it again.
                  > >
                  > > I have run /usr/sbin/hwclock -s but it gives me "Timed out waiting for
                  > > time change". I have tried other options (hctosys, systohc) but all of
                  > > them get the same error. It seems like the NSLU2 doesn't have a
                  > > hardware clock.
                  > >
                  > > Is that a problem on my NSLU or is it "by design"? Is there some way
                  > > to overcome this limitation?
                  > >
                  > [ads removed by moderator - please edit your replies]

                  > Computer internet security<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+security&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=Z7dpIUtVX-dXgPnMC27ANA> Firmware
                  > internet business<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+business&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=RTL1MKG2ZeJNV1h8YYsGRA> Computer
                  > internet access<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+access&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=EOKH7Nf3S-Q_63e2yrqEIA> Computer
                  > internet privacy securities<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=M1P_Q8qmEaW9BQEbyji-yA> Computer

                • manutremo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 15, 2006
                    Before checking the battery and realizing that it was not having a
                    good contact, I just installed ntpclient, created a startup script,
                    and included it in crontab, so that the time is updated on start and
                    then every day.

                    Now the hardware part works correctly and the startup script is not
                    needed anymore, but i keep the crontab auto time setting because I
                    see that the accuracy of the nslu2 is not that great.

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Cooper" <tecoop@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I had a similar problem with my Slug. The battery was fine, but
                    there is
                    > some sort of hardware defect. I modded it before I realized I had
                    a problem.
                    > Too late for warrantee coverage. I have written a couple of
                    scripts to set
                    > the time on boot.
                    >
                    > I also created a cgi script that lets me set the date directly.
                    >
                    > I'll dig them out if there is any interest...
                    >
                    > On 4/14/06, David Erbas-White <derbas@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Solely a guess, but I'm thinking that the lithium battery may
                    either be
                    > > defective, low, or not connected. Measure the voltage, and make
                    sure
                    > > that it's actually making contact in the holder.
                    > >
                    > > David Erbas-White
                    > >

                    > > manutremo wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I'm a new owner of a NSLU2, and have just upgraded to the
                    latest
                    > > > unsling. I must say this is a great piece of hw.
                    > > >
                    > > > But while installing packages, I've noticed that everytime I
                    reboot
                    > > > the NSLU2, its date and time are reset to Jan 1st 1970, and I
                    must got
                    > > > to the web management system and set it again.
                    > > >
                    > > > I have run /usr/sbin/hwclock -s but it gives me "Timed out
                    waiting for
                    > > > time change". I have tried other options (hctosys, systohc)
                    but all of
                    > > > them get the same error. It seems like the NSLU2 doesn't have a
                    > > > hardware clock.
                    > > >
                    > > > Is that a problem on my NSLU or is it "by design"? Is there
                    some way
                    > > > to overcome this limitation?
                    > > >
                    > > [ads removed by moderator - please edit your replies]

                    t=ms&k=Computer+internet+security&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Fi
                    rmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet
                    +access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+
                    help&c=6&s=190&.sig=Z7dpIUtVX-dXgPnMC27ANA> Firmware
                    > > development<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Firmware+development&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmware
                    +development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+acces
                    s&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+help&c
                    =6&s=190&.sig=BJDXCrOJYq7DinxKrOUU5A> Computer
                    > > internet business<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Computer+internet+business&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Fi
                    rmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet
                    +access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+
                    help&c=6&s=190&.sig=RTL1MKG2ZeJNV1h8YYsGRA> Computer
                    > > internet access<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Computer+internet+access&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firm
                    ware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+a
                    ccess&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+he
                    lp&c=6&s=190&.sig=EOKH7Nf3S-Q_63e2yrqEIA> Computer
                    > > internet privacy securities<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w1=Computer+internet+secu
                    rity&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Compute
                    r+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer
                    +internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=M1P_Q8qmEaW9BQEbyji-yA> Computer
                    > > internet help<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Computer+internet+help&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmwa
                    re+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+acc
                    ess&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+help
                    &c=6&s=190&.sig=LwLbD_wvMBON1hx3ACoZNA>

                  • ab rashid
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
                      manutremo <manutremo@...> wrote: Before checking the battery and realizing that it was not having a

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      t=ms&k=Computer+internet+access&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firm
                      ware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+a
                      ccess&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+he
                      lp&c=6&s=190&.sig=EOKH7Nf3S-Q_63e2yrqEIA> Computer
                      > > internet privacy securities<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w1=Computer+internet+secu
                      rity&w2=Firmware+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Compute
                      r+internet+access&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer
                      +internet+help&c=6&s=190&.sig=M1P_Q8qmEaW9BQEbyji-yA> Computer
                      > > internet help<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Computer+internet+help&w1=Computer+internet+security&w2=Firmwa
                      re+development&w3=Computer+internet+business&w4=Computer+internet+acc
                      ess&w5=Computer+internet+privacy+securities&w6=Computer+internet+help

                      I DON'T NO INGLISH BUT INTERSTED THIS GROUP PLEAS HELP ME