NSLU2 with MP101

  • durbanite01
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2004
      I purchased a Linksys NSLU2 for the sole purpose of streaming music
      to my Netgear MP101, but now that I have it I find that I don't really
      understand much of what I read to get this to work. Does anyone have
      a step-by-step (preferrably with actual commands) of what I need to
      do to get this to work - or if you have a link that I can get to that
      will help someone like me, with no prior Linux experience? Thanks
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 2004
        durbanite01 wrote:

        > I purchased a Linksys NSLU2 for the sole purpose of streaming music
        > to my Netgear MP101, but now that I have it I find that I don't really
        > understand much of what I read to get this to work. Does anyone have
        > a step-by-step (preferrably with actual commands) of what I need to
        > do to get this to work - or if you have a link that I can get to that
        > will help someone like me, with no prior Linux experience? Thanks

        Ok, first of all, this will work so rest assured you'll eventually get
        your media where you want it.

        First of all do you have TwonkyVision yet? Twonkyvision has a
        mediaserver that can run natively on your Slug. If you haven't check
        out http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/eula-mediaserver.html. Without this
        software I won't be able to help you.

        Second, is your slug "Unslung". The "unslung" project is a replacement
        firmware which doesn't change the underlying function of your slug but
        instead of running it's firmware it instead runs from your USB drive. (I
        may be oversimplefying this, I'm sure some Linux Guru could correct me
        here). Once your slug is unslung, you'll be able to get root access and
        install your server software. Check out
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage. Play around and get
        familiar with your slug. You'll probably want to install the following
        packages using unslung.
        ipkg install bash - Bash shell, a better default command prompt
        ipkg install busybox - Better tools
        ipkg install dropbear - ssh server
        ipkg install ntpclient - network time protocal client. Sync your
        slug with the atomic clock in CO.
        ipkg install nano - A nice little file editor.

        Ok, now you get into the good stuff. If you've followed the directions
        correctly to "Unslung" you'll now have a telnet access to your slug,
        excellent. Map a drive from windows to your slug. Copy the mediaserver
        for NSLU2 to the mapped drive. Telnet into your slug and mv the
        mediaserver file you just copied to /opt/bin (ie "mv
        /share/hdd/data/Mapped_Drive/mediaserver /opt/bin")
        Change the permissions of the mediaserver to make it executable.
        chmod 755 /opt/bin/mediaserver.

        Ping me if you need more help. Ping me rryjewski on AIM. I'm on the US
        East Coast and I'm online typically from 8am to 5pm (Work) and 10pm -
        2am (Play). I'm always at work M-F. I'm sometimes at play 2 or 3
        nights a week.