Re: [nslu2-general] Multiple library support for mt-daapd

  • Ben Firshman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2006
      The way I got round this problem was by splitting up the music into
      multiple directories, then creating a playlist just for these
      directories.

      "Library 1" {
      path includes "/store/music/1"
      }

      "Library 2" {
      path includes "/store/music/2"
      }

      and so on. Most clients (iTunes included) are then smart enough to
      treat these playlists as separate libraries. Nice script though!

      Ben

      --
      Ben Firshman
      ben@... http://www.phatmonkey.org.uk/
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2006
        This sound pretty good for doing small sub categories but if you have
        12000 items, but I need more in the playlist then this. I have over 700
        items in my playlist. Because, I have over 300 classical music albums
        with a preferred organization by composer and album. And when listening
        to Bach, one doesn't necessarily want it to continue on with Beethoven.
        Also many of the works span 3-4 tracks, some as many as twenty tracks,
        a few 50 (operas). It gets to be a mess getting everything to play in
        the right order.

        Then the spoken list requires at least 400 separate playlists, either
        by book title or author, or lecture series. You have 20-60 items in one
        series to play in the correct order. The movies aren't so bad. I would
        like to do your way but it takes a long time for the smart playlist to
        load, and you can't use an hierarchal playlist. At least doing this way
        imposes one hierarchal level of organization with a reduction in
        playlist load time. With everything in one pot, which you have to do
        using your method (only one song database!), the playlist has 12,000
        tracks, with smart playlist adding at least another 12,000 items using
        the same tracks.

        -peter