Announcing the long-awaited release of Unslung 6.8-beta

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2006
      The NSLU2-Linux development core team is pleased to announce the
      (long-awaited) release of Unslung 6.8-beta at our new download site:

      http://www.slug-firmware.net/

      You can also find the README file for the release in the same area.

      BE SURE TO READ THE FOLLOWING PAGE BEFORE UPGRADING:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/UpgradingToUnslung6

      You will need to use the RedBoot Upgrade Mode and either the Linux
      UpSlug tool or the Windows SerComm Upgrade Utility to flash the new
      firmware if you are already running Unslung. This is the only supported
      upgrade mechanism for all Unslung firmware releases. Further information
      can be found at:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware

      The major changes from Unslung 5.5-beta to Unslung 6.8-beta are:

      1/ We updated the Unslung firmware to be based on the Linksys 2.3R63/A5
      firmware. This means that the Unslung firmware can now read and write
      NTFS disks, and supports multiple disks attached via a USB hub on the
      Disk1 port.

      2/ The unsling script now prompts for a root password to be used, and
      additional sanity checks and many more verbose messages have been added
      to minimize the chance of an improper unsling.

      3/ The web interface is now graced by the new Unslung logo, starring
      "Sluggie and Tux".

      4/ More obvious feedback has been added to indicate the status (running
      from internal flash or booted up from an external drive) via /etc/motd,
      ipkg, as well as on the main web page.

      5/ The ".ext3flash" functionality has been modified so that it can
      handle booting from either /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.

      6/ The telnet management page has been made more prominent in the web
      interface, to make unslinging even easier.

      A special thanks goes out to Mike Westerhof, without whom this release
      would have been delayed even longer than it already was. As a result of
      his contribution to the project, Mike has been invited (and has agreed)
      to join the NSLU2-Linux development core team. Congratulations Mike!

      The other members of the core team (and their individual roles in the
      project) can be found at:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/WhoIsWho

      -- Rod Whitby (NSLU2-Linux Project Lead)
    • Edward Luck
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2006
        Now if only we could get a new release of OpenSlug as well! LOL

        On 4/12/06, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...> wrote:

        > The NSLU2-Linux development core team is pleased to announce the
        > (long-awaited) release of Unslung 6.8-beta at our new download site:

      • Martin Gingras
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2006
          and xfs + jfs support added to openslug ;)

          Guys, keep up the good work.

          Mart

          On 4/12/06, Edward Luck <ed.luck@...> wrote:
          > Now if only we could get a new release of OpenSlug as well! LOL
          >
          > On 4/12/06, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The NSLU2-Linux development core team is pleased to announce the
          > > (long-awaited) release of Unslung 6.8-beta at our new download site:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • peterdcrees
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2006
            Are there any mirrors for the new firmware, or a way to download from
            slug-firmware.net using a download manager (flashget)? Firefox starts
            the download then at about 80% it says its finished but the zip file is
            undersized and corrupt. I am on dialup, dialup no good.

            Regs,
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...>