Multiple library support for mt-daapd

  • peter richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2006
      I have over 120 Gb of music, audio-books and movies on my Slug served
      out to iTunes players using mt-daapd. The only trouble with this is the
      lack of multiple library support under mt-daapd. So I written an cgi
      and daemon that allows you to split your media library into multiple
      directories (AKA "Libraries") and choose the one you want. It then
      signals the daemon (which has the necessary root privileges) to kill
      and restart mt-daapd, so that in a minute or so the new library is
      available to the network. All this can be done via any web browser
      which is much easier then logging in as root via ssh or telnet and
      issuing a series of commands to accomplish the same thing. Also the
      daemon can be configured to keep mt-daapd alive, in case you
      inadvertently killed it using the mt-daapd admin status page.

      The web cgi can require login with multiple user:password combinations,
      and has a user deny list to prevent some users access to switch to a
      library (case you have kids and some content you want to limit access
      to - this wont prevent access, if library is already active) or you can
      not require login.

      You can use an external html template if you want to personalize and
      prettify the web appearance. Even though the defaults will work, it is
      fully reconfigurable via couple of conf files, so you can use it on
      any linux system (also useful if there's an update, wont have to edit
      new files). Written in perl, so needs the perl ipk installed.

      Its available at http://www.makehell.com/. There is a download link in
      the second article.

      -peter
    • Ben Firshman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2006
        The way I got round this problem was by splitting up the music into
        multiple directories, then creating a playlist just for these
        directories.

        "Library 1" {
        path includes "/store/music/1"
        }

        "Library 2" {
        path includes "/store/music/2"
        }

        and so on. Most clients (iTunes included) are then smart enough to
        treat these playlists as separate libraries. Nice script though!

        Ben

        --
        Ben Firshman
        ben@... http://www.phatmonkey.org.uk/
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2006
          This sound pretty good for doing small sub categories but if you have
          12000 items, but I need more in the playlist then this. I have over 700
          items in my playlist. Because, I have over 300 classical music albums
          with a preferred organization by composer and album. And when listening
          to Bach, one doesn't necessarily want it to continue on with Beethoven.
          Also many of the works span 3-4 tracks, some as many as twenty tracks,
          a few 50 (operas). It gets to be a mess getting everything to play in
          the right order.

          Then the spoken list requires at least 400 separate playlists, either
          by book title or author, or lecture series. You have 20-60 items in one
          series to play in the correct order. The movies aren't so bad. I would
          like to do your way but it takes a long time for the smart playlist to
          load, and you can't use an hierarchal playlist. At least doing this way
          imposes one hierarchal level of organization with a reduction in
          playlist load time. With everything in one pot, which you have to do
          using your method (only one song database!), the playlist has 12,000
          tracks, with smart playlist adding at least another 12,000 items using
          the same tracks.

          -peter