Re: Disk not formatted

  • swavmcav
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11 3:46 PM
      OK I've got a copy of Knoppix running. I've plugged the USB drive
      directly into the PC. I want to run fsck to check the disk.

      Now I'm really lost, browsing round this file system.

      Can anyone tell me how I reference the usb drive? Where is it? Do I
      need to mount it? If so how? And more important how do I reference it
      with the fsck command (I can find the command in sbin but how do I
      reference the usb drive?)

      With a little help I can do this and learn something along the way so
      go on ...

      If it helps the output from df is

      /dev/root 2471 15 2456 1% /
      /ramdisk 400188 7568 392620 2% /ramdisk
      /UNIONFS 7543508 7150888 392620 95% /UNIONFS
      /dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% /cdrom
      /dev/cloop 5270118 5270118 0 100% /KNOPPIX
      /dev/cloop2 1873204 1873204 0 100% /KNOPPIX2
      /UNIONFS/dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% mnt/auto/cdrom

      The output from mount is

      /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
      /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=400188k)
      /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type unionfs
      (rw,dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro:/KNOPPIX2=ro,delete=whiteout)
      /dev/hda on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
      /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
      /dev/cloop2 on /KNOPPIX2 type iso9660 (ro)
      /UNIONFS/dev/pts on /UNIONFS/dev/pts type devpts (rw)
      /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
      automount(pid2646) on /mnt/auto type autofs
      (rw,fd=4,pgrp=2646,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
      /UNIONFS/dev/hda on /mnt/auto/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)

      Is the USB drive even there?

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "swavmcav" <john.mcavenue@...>
      wrote:

      > A bit more info.
      >
      > I tried to temprarily mount the disk as follows
      >
      > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/dsk
      >
      > where mnt/dsk is a directory I created. i saw this in the wiki
      somewhere.

      > it fails to mount and says "Mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/dsk failed.
      > Invalid argument."
      >
      > If I type the mount command I get the following listed
      >
      > /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
      > /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      > usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
      >
      > it looks to me like the disk is not mounted
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "swavmcav" <john.mcavenue@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this and it is
      > > mentioned in the FAQ but I don't seem to have a clear picture of the
      > > problem or it's resolution from this.
      > >
      > > I hope someone can simplify it - I'm not so hot on Linux.
      > >
      > > After deleting a large number of files from my HDD becasue the drive
      > > was full I noticed that I could no longer write to it. I could read
      > > but not write. It came up in windows with an IO error.
      > >
      > > I pressed the restart button from the web interface and waited.
      > >
      > > Now it says disk 1 is not formatted.
      > >
      > > The data is all there. I'm sure of that. I also have a backup so I'm
      > > not to devated if I need to reformat.
      > >
      > > The slug works great for months on end and then throws a wobly like
      > > this. It's a bit frustrating because it takes me with my limited
      > > knowledge ages to sort out but I do love the thing. It acts as my
      > > media server.
      > >

      > > Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    • swavmcav
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11 4:18 PM
        I just thought I would add that I relaise the usb disk needs to be
        umounted when I run fsck.

        I'm trying to mount it just to prove i can get to it.

        Note that when I try mount /dev/uba1 I get

        knoppix@1[/]$ mount /dev/uba1
        mount: can't find /UNIONFS/dev/uba1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

        maybe the disk is gubbed after all?