Re: Disk not formatted

  • swavmcav
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
      A bit more info.

      I tried to temprarily mount the disk as follows

      mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/dsk

      where mnt/dsk is a directory I created. i saw this in the wiki somewhere.

      it fails to mount and says "Mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/dsk failed.
      Invalid argument."

      If I type the mount command I get the following listed

      /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
      /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

      it looks to me like the disk is not mounted

      Any ideas?

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "swavmcav" <john.mcavenue@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this and it is
      > mentioned in the FAQ but I don't seem to have a clear picture of the
      > problem or it's resolution from this.
      >
      > I hope someone can simplify it - I'm not so hot on Linux.
      >
      > After deleting a large number of files from my HDD becasue the drive
      > was full I noticed that I could no longer write to it. I could read
      > but not write. It came up in windows with an IO error.
      >
      > I pressed the restart button from the web interface and waited.
      >
      > Now it says disk 1 is not formatted.
      >
      > The data is all there. I'm sure of that. I also have a backup so I'm
      > not to devated if I need to reformat.
      >
      > The slug works great for months on end and then throws a wobly like
      > this. It's a bit frustrating because it takes me with my limited
      > knowledge ages to sort out but I do love the thing. It acts as my
      > media server.
      >

      > Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    • swavmcav
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
        OK I've got a copy of Knoppix running. I've plugged the USB drive
        directly into the PC. I want to run fsck to check the disk.

        Now I'm really lost, browsing round this file system.

        Can anyone tell me how I reference the usb drive? Where is it? Do I
        need to mount it? If so how? And more important how do I reference it
        with the fsck command (I can find the command in sbin but how do I
        reference the usb drive?)

        With a little help I can do this and learn something along the way so
        go on ...

        If it helps the output from df is

        /dev/root 2471 15 2456 1% /
        /ramdisk 400188 7568 392620 2% /ramdisk
        /UNIONFS 7543508 7150888 392620 95% /UNIONFS
        /dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% /cdrom
        /dev/cloop 5270118 5270118 0 100% /KNOPPIX
        /dev/cloop2 1873204 1873204 0 100% /KNOPPIX2
        /UNIONFS/dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% mnt/auto/cdrom

        The output from mount is

        /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
        /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=400188k)
        /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type unionfs
        (rw,dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro:/KNOPPIX2=ro,delete=whiteout)
        /dev/hda on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
        /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
        /dev/cloop2 on /KNOPPIX2 type iso9660 (ro)
        /UNIONFS/dev/pts on /UNIONFS/dev/pts type devpts (rw)
        /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
        automount(pid2646) on /mnt/auto type autofs
        (rw,fd=4,pgrp=2646,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
        /UNIONFS/dev/hda on /mnt/auto/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)

        Is the USB drive even there?

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
          I just thought I would add that I relaise the usb disk needs to be
          umounted when I run fsck.

          I'm trying to mount it just to prove i can get to it.

          Note that when I try mount /dev/uba1 I get

          knoppix@1[/]$ mount /dev/uba1
          mount: can't find /UNIONFS/dev/uba1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

          maybe the disk is gubbed after all?