Re: Disk not formatted

  • swavmcav
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "swavmcav" <john.mcavenue@...>
      wrote:

      Please have patience with me. I'm no Linux expert.

      I telnet into the slug and I tried to umount the drive as follows

      umount /dev/sda1

      It tells me "invalid argument"

      I tried (to unmount all file systems I think)

      umount -a

      It tells me "device or resource busy"

      What can I do next? Did i follow this instruction in the faq incorrectly?

      I ran out of patience and tried to reformat the disk from the web
      interface. It goes through the motions but returns to the "Not
      Formatted" status at the end.

      When I try a scandisk from the web interface it says "No disk available"

      It could be a hardware problem I suppose. It has been running more or
      less continuosly for over a year.

      Does anyone have any ideas?

      I have my data backed up so I don't mind wiping the thing and starting
      over.

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this and it is
      > mentioned in the FAQ but I don't seem to have a clear picture of the
      > problem or it's resolution from this.
      >
      > I hope someone can simplify it - I'm not so hot on Linux.
      >
      > After deleting a large number of files from my HDD becasue the drive
      > was full I noticed that I could no longer write to it. I could read
      > but not write. It came up in windows with an IO error.
      >
      > I pressed the restart button from the web interface and waited.
      >
      > Now it says disk 1 is not formatted.
      >
      > The data is all there. I'm sure of that. I also have a backup so I'm
      > not to devated if I need to reformat.
      >
      > The slug works great for months on end and then throws a wobly like
      > this. It's a bit frustrating because it takes me with my limited
      > knowledge ages to sort out but I do love the thing. It acts as my
      > media server.
      >

      > Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    • swavmcav
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
        A bit more info.

        I tried to temprarily mount the disk as follows

        mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/dsk

        where mnt/dsk is a directory I created. i saw this in the wiki somewhere.

        it fails to mount and says "Mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/dsk failed.
        Invalid argument."

        If I type the mount command I get the following listed

        /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
        /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

        it looks to me like the disk is not mounted

        Any ideas?

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
          OK I've got a copy of Knoppix running. I've plugged the USB drive
          directly into the PC. I want to run fsck to check the disk.

          Now I'm really lost, browsing round this file system.

          Can anyone tell me how I reference the usb drive? Where is it? Do I
          need to mount it? If so how? And more important how do I reference it
          with the fsck command (I can find the command in sbin but how do I
          reference the usb drive?)

          With a little help I can do this and learn something along the way so
          go on ...

          If it helps the output from df is

          /dev/root 2471 15 2456 1% /
          /ramdisk 400188 7568 392620 2% /ramdisk
          /UNIONFS 7543508 7150888 392620 95% /UNIONFS
          /dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% /cdrom
          /dev/cloop 5270118 5270118 0 100% /KNOPPIX
          /dev/cloop2 1873204 1873204 0 100% /KNOPPIX2
          /UNIONFS/dev/hda 3266250 3266250 0 100% mnt/auto/cdrom

          The output from mount is

          /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
          /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=400188k)
          /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type unionfs
          (rw,dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro:/KNOPPIX2=ro,delete=whiteout)
          /dev/hda on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
          /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
          /dev/cloop2 on /KNOPPIX2 type iso9660 (ro)
          /UNIONFS/dev/pts on /UNIONFS/dev/pts type devpts (rw)
          /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
          automount(pid2646) on /mnt/auto type autofs
          (rw,fd=4,pgrp=2646,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
          /UNIONFS/dev/hda on /mnt/auto/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)

          Is the USB drive even there?

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
            I just thought I would add that I relaise the usb disk needs to be
            umounted when I run fsck.

            I'm trying to mount it just to prove i can get to it.

            Note that when I try mount /dev/uba1 I get

            knoppix@1[/]$ mount /dev/uba1
            mount: can't find /UNIONFS/dev/uba1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

            maybe the disk is gubbed after all?